Arnott To Florida?

Nieuwy25

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/da...ckey.d4b1a.html

Picking time for big trade may be before draft

06/20/2003

Doug Armstrong's tenure as general manager of the Stars has already been filled with adventure, but the youngest GM in the league can make the boldest stroke of his career by trading for the No. 1 pick in Saturday's NHL entry draft.

Florida GM Rick Dudley has said for weeks that the pick is available, and he also has said several teams are showing interest, so Armstrong, 38, is going to have to get creative. But, if you look at his history, the Stars GM has shown plenty of moxie to get what he wanted.

A couple of weeks into his tenure, Armstrong moved Joe Nieuwendyk and Jamie Langenbrunner to New Jersey for Jason Arnott, Randy McKay and a first-round draft pick. Fans now will say the deal was a bust, especially after the Devils won the Cup and Langenbrunner was one of their best players. But you have to wonder if Nieuwendyk would have found success in Dallas as part of the three-center rotation, and you have to also wonder if Langenbrunner would have been near as good playing behind Bill Guerin and Jere Lehtinen.

Armstrong knew that whatever he received in return, he wasn't giving up the key to the Stars' future success. And that's exactly why he may deal Arnott and defenseman Richard Matvichuk for the first pick. They are tradable commodities, and the Stars have depth at their positions.

Once he gets that first pick, Armstrong can auction the rights to coveted goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, or he can simply take can't-miss center prospect Eric Staal and walk away a happy man.

On the flip side, Florida could use a No. 1 center, and Arnott would be a perfect fit. He knows the Eastern Conference, and he's young, strong and fairly priced at $3.8 million. With the Panthers' impressive crop of wingers, Arnott could find himself on another "A" line in no time. Matvichuk, meanwhile, should bounce back strong from the worst season of his career.

Dudley said he was interested in both players, but added that Dallas had not offered them to him. Maybe Armstrong is waiting to make his best deal. Maybe Dudley is just posturing and can't afford to take on the extra salary. But when it comes time to lay their cards down Saturday, both men can admit this is a fair swap.

Now, some Stars fans might believe losing Arnott and Matvichuk will hurt the team, but there have to be cuts this summer, and the team is going to have to lose some good players if it wants to pay for raises to Derian Hatcher and Marty Turco. Trading Arnott would solve two problems, as Pierre Turgeon would immediately become your No. 2 center, something that should make him a better fit on the team. If Armstrong still wants to shop Turgeon (whom he waived earlier in the year), he can do so without the pressure of forcing him into exile in Utah. Bottom line, there are too many centers, and moving Arnott would help solve that problem.

Losing Matvichuk would be tough, but, as we stressed earlier, some tough decisions have to be made.

Which brings us back to the first pick. One of the reasons so many teams covet the pick is because Fleury is supposed to be one of the better goalie prospects to come along, and Carolina (second) and Pittsburgh (third) want him. That means a team like Boston or Philadelphia or Chicago might give you something that could help you now in order to get Fleury ahead of the Hurricanes.

Could a deal like this give the Stars a young, cheap, scoring winger with great upside, thus balancing the lineup and the budget? And if they didn't trade the pick, they would probably end up with Staal, a prospect in the mold of Steve Yzerman or Ron Francis. Would it be so bad waiting for him to take Mike Modano's place?

Say what you will about some of Armstrong's risky moves, the Stars had the second-best record in the NHL last season because of them. Now, he can take a few more chances to push the team that final step.

The opportunity is waiting for him in Nashville this weekend

The Stars may have had the second best record in the NHL but when the suits don't see results, even though it's a formidable feat, things have to get shaken up to do what's necessary to get the Cup.

I'm not surprised at all that they would ship out Arnott. NJDev, what are the general feelings of the fans about Armstrong (jerk?) and Modano (getting sick of him yet?)?

I'm not surprised at all that they would ship out Arnott. NJDev, what are the general feelings of the fans about Armstrong (jerk?) and Modano (getting sick of him yet?)?

Arnott hasn't really caught on with the fans as a favorite or anything. Some people want to keep him because of his size and the potential for big plays and would rather have him than Turgeon, some think he's been a waste. There doesn't seem to be a lot of "passion" one way or the other about him.

Sick of Modano? I'm not sure what you mean by that. That would be like being sick of Brodeur. For better or worse, he's the franchise, he's the star, he's not going anywhere.

I'm not questioning Modano's worth, I know what kind of player he is and what he means to the team. I wonder why Modano doesn't have the C (did he at one time, I thought?) and thug Hatcher does. The love fest over him seems over the top....as a person, not so much as a player...not that he's a bad guy! :evil:

Some people aren't made to wear the C, some people can't handle wearinf the C (ala Leetch and Fleury), some people just don't want the C, and from what I know Modano doesn't want the extra stuff that comes with the Captaincy.. I can respect that...

.... and it is funny to see the REAL Jason Arnott still stinking it up in Dallas playing only when he wants to play (which seemed to be just most Ducks games... heh.. trade him for Robbie Niedermayer maybe *laughs*)... seems to me the aberation in his career was the GOOD years and not the bad/average ones (don't miss him ONE BIT)

Mo has only ever had the "C" for short stretches when Hatcher's been out. He doesn't seem to want it.

When the Stars first moved here, they marketed Mo like crazy, for very understandable reasons. And luckily his career has turned into all they hoped it would. And he's never done anything to alienate the fans here, either. So yeah, there is a lot of love for him here.

What would be the thought of Lou working a deal to put Arnie back in a Devils sweater? Especially if he lets Nieuwendyk walk. Maybe getting back to where he had is greatest success would spur Arnie to play to his potential?

Any thoughts?

The thought is that Lou wouldn't be working a deal to put Arnie back in a Devils sweater.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO and did I say NO ??

the first comment Lou made this year is that this is the lowest maintainence team he's seen in his years with the Devils (which came off as a blatant dig at Arnott and Sykora and the Martyr line CIRCUS)... ugh never again :P

I would take Arnie back just to regenerate his career cause I feel bad for him now but I just don't think that will ever happen.

How often does Lou trade people and then get them back? I can think of 2 instantly: Claude and Ken Sutton. I'm sure there's probably more.

Lou is like the Yanks boss with Billy Martin. :lol:

I just realized that I misread your post - you asked about Armstrong, not Arnott.

:P Well, I haven't been too happy with Armstrong. :P I think it's too early to tell what people think beyond kneejerk reactions. It takes time to know how trades really work out - so far opinion is split on the Joe & Jamie trade, although it's sort of tipped against right now. I think people like the signing of Guerin, and didn't like the trade for Lemieux (sorry, Zam!) . I think they like the signing of Tippett as Coach. They definitely like letting Belfour go and playing Turco. So probably more good than bad. How he handles the Turgeon mess that was dumped in his lap will go a long way towards determining his reputation.

I really don't care if Arnott leaves the stars or not. He really hasn't fit in well in Dallas. I can't figure it out but he just has done well in Dallas. Everyone as the games have nicknames for him. My personal favorite is "scorenot". :-)

About Modano... I don't think that he can handle having the C. It was dicussed at one of the stars boards alot. The guy is not so vocal in the dressing room and with how stressed out and worried he got in 1999 in the stanley cup run, I don't think that he would handle being capt. I say Guerin would be the best choice but thats only if Hatcher leaves. I don't think Guerin will be going anywhere. Matvichuck had a poor year. I am willing to give him another chance but they need to get rid of some money and lots of fans and stars aren't going to give him another chance. Hatcher I think will be very important to keep. And to add what NJDev25 said about Claude... I was so excitied that he was coming to the team and I think everyone thought he would help the team and would bring great play and we didn't see the old Claude out there. I understand what Armstrong was trying to do in that trade but it's just one that didn't turn out perfect.

I really don't care if Arnott leaves the stars or not. He really hasn't fit in well in Dallas. I can't figure it out but he just has done well in Dallas. Everyone as the games have nicknames for him. My personal favorite is "scorenot". :-)

When he first came to the Devils his shot, shall we say was inaccurate, so he was called: ON NET!

I still remember the looks and praying to the sky Doug Gilmour would do after Arnott (hit-nott, play-nott, check-nott, faceoff-nott, defense-nott, I had a LIST of them) would botch pass after pass from gilmour.. I think Arnie added 5 years to Douggie that season!