New Jersey signs D Matt Taormina to entry-level contract

Triumph

Tyler Eckford is a good prospect so If this a trade sign who should we expect coming here? Hamhuis? My body is tingling over these exciting rumors but I'll be in friggin school during deadline day :argh:

Maybe they just want to give Taormina a couple of games in the NHL, he's got a good shot from the point and might shake up the PP. :pray: Or maybe Ecky's going to get regular minutes in the NHL. Either way, it's a good plan to make sure Lowell doesn't make the playoffs so the NHL team has a practice squad.

Maybe they just want to give Taormina a couple of games in the NHL, he's got a good shot from the point and might shake up the PP. :pray: Or maybe Ecky's going to get regular minutes in the NHL. Either way, it's a good plan to make sure Lowell doesn't make the playoffs so the NHL team has a practice squad.

neither of these things are likely. eckford didn't get the call when davison, murphy, and corrente were all called up in the same week - barring serious injury, eckford's going to be in the minors the rest of the year, unless he's included in a trade.

Tyler Eckford is a good prospect so If this a trade sign who should we expect coming here? Hamhuis? My body is tingling over these exciting rumors but I'll be in friggin school during deadline day :argh:

I think it's going to take a hell of a lot more than Tyler Eckford to get Hamhuis.

I think it's going to take a hell of a lot more than Tyler Eckford to get Hamhuis.

You know, a lot of folk have stated their interest in Hamhuis including me. The thing is, Nashville is still in the playoffs, I'd be surprised if they traded him. You'd think the Pred's would want to keep him for their own playoff push ?

I know I might get flak for this but I'd like to take a chance on Liles. Yeah I know he's not been as good as he was this season (or even last season) but he was on team USA recently.

Maybe a change of scenery will jumpstart his performance in NJ ?

Again though, the Avs are right in the thick of it too with a chance to win the Northwest division.

I like JML, I think he could fit into a Devils type player.

Edited by Neutral Zone Trap

You know, a lot of folk have stated their interest in Hamhuis including me. The thing is, Nashville is still in the playoffs, I'd be surprised if they traded him. You'd think the Pred's would want to keep him for their own playoff push ?

I know I might get flak for this but I'd like to take a chance on Liles. Yeah I know he's not been as good as he was this season (or even last season) but he was on team USA recently.

Maybe a change of scenery will jumpstart his performance in NJ ?

Again though, the Avs are right in the thick of it too with a chance to win the Northwest division.

I like JML, I think he could fit into a Devils type player.

Re: Hamhuis- he's a UFA, and he's gonna want big $$$$, so Nashville is looking to move him and get a return rather than lose him for nothing in July. They can afford to trade him, as they're stacked on the blue line.

Re: Hamhuis- he's a UFA, and he's gonna want big $$$$, so Nashville is looking to move him and get a return rather than lose him for nothing in July. They can afford to trade him, as they're stacked on the blue line.

Ok MD, you've convinced me. Do it Lou.

If we're getting Hamhuis, who's going the other way? Would think someone who makes decent money has to be going to Lowell or to Nashville, since we're up against the cap, and Hanhuis is $2 million per year. (Or does the prorating make it work without unloading?)

It would be very interesting if Colin White, with the $3 million cap hit is unloaded in a trade. Allows the Devils to make a much more serious run at signing Kovy and Martin.

(Before you say why would Nashville want White's contract, I think it would be necessary for Nashville to stay at the salary floor next year).

the devils are not up against the cap. according to capgeek they have 9 million+ left in cap space this year. the kovalchuk deal only added $3 million or so.

i don't think hamhuis is a good option because nashville is in the playoff race and can afford not to sell. liles is a better option, but getting him basically rules out kovalchuk for next year and colorado's fine wrt salary commitments, there's really no pressing need for them to get rid of liles - so his price doesn't figure to be too low either.

nashville is already at the salary floor with salary commitments next year.

Edited by Triumph

This kid has elite skills, if he is just slightly below average defensively at the NHL level he will be successful.

i'd like to see another year of this first before i go around saying things like this - if next year he gets 30 points in a full season, his NHL chances dim significantly. definitely looks like a find, though.

This is all working on the presumption that Eckford is being traded for another d-man, which isn't a guarantee in itself. Ya never know, he could be the chip in a deal for a Belanger-esque player.

Wild want to re-sign Zidlicky, so I'd rule him out. Plus they're still convinced they could make the playoffs (which unfortunately makes Belanger less likely). Corvo is a very interesting option considering Carolina has already announced its intentions to ship out players... I just wonder if he's going to be the same player this year after his injury. Seidenberg I still don't trust for some reason (really can't explain it), and Leopold - like Liles - would be the "safe" kind of depth acquisition the Devils love to make.

Let's just hope we're not picking up another Thrasher; Slava Kozlov has requested a trade.

the wild want to re-sign zidlicky, but you know that. in other words, minnesota has made that public information - i think if a deal doesn't get done by the deadline that they move him.

I agree with this, and you could make the argument that Zidlicky is expendable now that they acquired Barker... Barker + Burns is a pretty good PP combination, and that's Zidlicky's primary purpose for them right now. On the other hand, you could say they prioritized re-signing Zidlicky when they traded Johnsson; they don't have to play a numbers or publicity game for both of them now. MIN has committed $39 million in salaries for next year, with a ton of RFAs and a handful of UFAs. If they really want to bring Zidlicky back and he's not looking to break the bank, I think he'll be back... probably with a contract similar to Johnsson's last one, but a bit lower (4 or 4.25 per, rather than 4.85).