This is the turning point

cubanjd305

...the way out of the "slump". Since the streak of awful play, and therefore results, started I've been waiting for this kind of game from the Devs. In years past it always seemed that every streak ended in one game where the Devils beat their opponent to the ground. That game hadn't come until now. Seemingly none of the 6 wins in the past 20 games had been convincing enough to give the team confidence. It seemed that San Jose would be the one but it all crumbled apart and barely got away with the W.

Finally, tonight, we were able to see a competent Devils team. They virtually corrected every flaw we've been pointing out for the last 2 months or so. Mottau made two mistakes that didn't cost, and every odd man rush featured him on the wing. The defense was more involved in the attack than at any point this season and the result of that is evident. Brodeur looked sharp, like his old self, with a spectacular save here and there and not really much to say against him in the goals. Hard work along the boards on the offensive zone, great forechecking. Finally able (or willing) to put people in the face of the opponent's goalie turned into important goals. At last a Devs team that doesn't look Kovalchuk-dependent, and look at the results. In fact, Kovy just might have had his worse game individually since coming to N.J and the team crushed the rival. Lastly, toughness. The Devils dealt more big hits in this game than the had in the past 20 games combined and didn't get manhandled like they had become accustomed to.

I may sound like I'm jumping into the optimistic band wagon, but I just feel that this is the kind of game the Devils needed in order to get their confidence back. Add to that the fact that it was against a division opponent, the rags nonetheless; that they sat on the bench a goalie that usually stands very tall against Jersey; I truly feel that this team will finally be able to straighten the way for the remainder of the season.

So there you go, I just praised Mottau (DevilinLA), the rest of the team, and finally saw light ahead.

F the rags!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IF they beat Pittsburgh on Friday night, I'll start to believe the ship is sailing in the right direction. This was a nice step, but there was still a lot of running around in our own zone that needs to stop.

Agreed. Good win tonight, yes. Turning point? I'll let you know in a week and a half.. Even if they also win Friday I'll still need next week's games to be great in order to believe this team has righted the ship.. A better team would have exploited our flaws tonight..

A+ for enthusiasm

ummm... at one point marty let in 3 goals on 13 shots.

and our defense didn't show up to play for the first half of the game.

His SV% still sucked, but he made great and important saves.

As opposed to showing up for the first period and then disappearing.

Like they mentioned in some other thread, this team has to win on offense basically now, so we're still going to allow 3 occasionally, but as long as we score 4....

Agreed. Good win tonight, yes. Turning point? I'll let you know in a week and a half.. Even if they also win Friday I'll still need next week's games to be great in order to believe this team has righted the ship.. A better team would have exploited our flaws tonight..

A+ for enthusiasm

:lol:

You know we share some points of view...but...if they had won 3-2 I'd still be down. In fact, I'm still cautious, however, this is just the kind of game I've been waiting for in order to take out the resurgence card. For once, I hope I'm right in my statements.

ummm... at one point marty let in 3 goals on 13 shots.

and our defense didn't show up to play for the first half of the game.

you gotta be kidding me about the first. the later, obviously. the game should have been 3-0, no fault of Brodeur

Edited by maxpower

Thanks Cubanjd, its nice to see a positive post on a positive night.

Not that it always has to be blindly optimisitic, but simply balanced opinion.

Nice to see Motts get a shout when he plays well.

Turning point...well....time will tell.

Thanks Cubanjd, its nice to see a positive post on a positive night.

Not that it always has to be blindly optimisitic, but simply balanced opinion.

Nice to see Motts get a shout when he plays well.

Turning point...well....time will tell.

Hey I'm fair. Not my fault lately it's been all bad because they've been stinking.

...and I told you a thousand times, I don't hate guys I hate the mistakes they make and I had been waiting for a loooooong time to say something positive about #27

you gotta be kidding me about the first. the later, obviously. the game should have been 3-0, no fault of Brodeur

Totally agree, the coverage on the 1st and 3rd goals was HORRIBLE. The Rags had at least 1 if not 2 players wide open right around or in front of Marty on those goals. The Defense after we got the 2 goal lead seemed to settle and play better. (I guess it is easier when playing from a lead) That being said man I loved the energy the team brought tonight! The lines seemed to have a confidence, and play with enthusiasm. I really think Lemaire now needs to let these lines come together and form a cohesivness. They will only get better if they keep gelling. When Martin comes back hopefully that will help some of the defensive problems, but the defense needs to be a team effort as well. I know I thik it was on the first goal Travis seemed to be lost and let Prospal slip i there at the side of the net. That being said I certainly see this as a step in the right direction, and a small step towards starting to play the way they are supposed to. We will learn alot more in the next 3 games. I fully expect a big effort against the Pens, they play well against them, but then they need to show up against the lower teams like the Isles as well!

Edited by PaDevsFan

I have no idea how you can say Kovy was terrible out there. He was all over the ice hustling his ass off and made plays on 3 of our goals that he won't get credit for on the stat sheet. 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals.

His presence alone backs up the D with every single rush. It's something this team has never, ever had before. He played a great game.

I have no idea how you can say Kovy was terrible out there. He was all over the ice hustling his ass off and made plays on 3 of our goals that he won't get credit for on the stat sheet. 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals.

His presence alone backs up the D with every single rush. It's something this team has never, ever had before. He played a great game.

That's what I mean meant by individually

Edited by cubanjd305

Wow. Lets put this game in perspective:

We beat a non-playoff team, let them back in the game three times, got 1/3 of our points from our defense, scored several fluke goals and Niedermayer played a great game.

This is 1 win in a row.

Lets see how we do against Pittsburgh the next games before we buy our Stanley Cup tickets.

We beat a non-playoff team, let them back in the game three times, got 1/3 of our points from our defense, scored several fluke goals and Niedermayer played a great game.

This is 1 win in a row.

Lets see how we do against Pittsburgh the next games before we buy our Stanley Cup tickets.

Nobody is buying Stanley Cup tix. I think it is perfectly normal to question whether this team is turning the corner after a "better" performance like last night. Lets be honest here yes there were some flukey goals, but overall you can not be disapointed in the effort and energy that was played out there by all 4 lines. That being said please read as I for one anyway said the next 4 games will tell alot about this team. They havent turned the corner yet, but they are approaching the bend possibly!

Edited by PaDevsFan

Nobody is buying Stanley Cup tix. I think it is perfectly normal to question whether this team is turning the corner after a "better" performance like last night. Lets be honest here yes there were some flukey goals, but overall you can not be disapointed in the effort and energy that was played out there by all 4 lines. That being said please read as I for one anyway said the next 4 games will tell alot about this team. They havent turned the corner yet, but they are approaching the bend possibly!

We always have more energy against the Rangers and we still played a mediocre game against a weak team.

The Next 4 games I agree are key. I am not putting alot of stock in this game.

IF they beat Pittsburgh on Friday night, I'll start to believe the ship is sailing in the right direction. This was a nice step, but there was still a lot of running around in our own zone that needs to stop.

True. Last nights win was great, and definitely a step in the right direction. But on that Prospal goal did you guys notice how our D completely left Gaborik all alone behind the net to make that play? We played better, but at times were still timid. It's gonna take more solid TEAM play to build our confidence back up to where it was around November/December.

This is 1 win in a row.

and Rolston played a great game