I Have Seen The Cup!

Zamode

We had a belated Cup party last night so it was a late night for me and I was trying to sleep in when the phone kept ringing--over and over and over. By the fourth ring I got up and saw it was my husband and said, "What do you want?" He said "I think you'll want to hear this." He has baseball on Sundays and the wife of one of the guys on his team is friends with Lou's assistant.(She has her name on the Cup for 2000, one of the very few females on it). Turns out they were having the Cup at his house for a few hours today. My husband overhears this guy in the dugout saying, "...have the Cup at my house..." and says "What Cup?" So I was told to get up and be ready whenever he called and I certainly did so. I was pretty jazzed as I was thinking within the last few weeks that a Devils Cup win would be awesome (done), to be there would be the icing on the cake (done!) and to see it would make my year and 110% happy. The Lurker and I tried looking for it the night of the win to no avail, was wondering if I ever would get to see it as I missed out at the Paramus and Woodbridge appearances and Rockaway in the past.

We pulled up to the house and heard everyone out back so we walked towards the deck and lo and behold, there was the Cup in all it's beautiful shining silver glory! eek5.gif What a site to see, I thought someone needed to pinch me. :) It was on a table and as gorgeous and shiny as I expected it to be. deg.gif I think my eyes were as big as golf balls, my husband got a laugh just watching me drool over it. I practically sprinted over to touch it. When I met his baseball friend, before getting near it, he was so nice and I thanked him in advance telling him you have just made my year! First thing I did was rub my fingers all over it! :lol: Every little nook and inscription, all the scratches, marks and indents that are on it. I wanted to look in the bowl but being vertically challenged :evil: I wasn't able to see too well. I grabbed it and started to tilt it over to see inside the bowl when I hear, "Hey, can you put the Cup down please!" in a very exasperated voice. The Cup Keeper just had a minor heart attack. It wasn't Phil Pritchard or Mike Bolt, maybe Walt Neubrand? I don't know. It was actually pretty funny. He had a very dry, tongue in cheek sense of humor, amusing chap. So, I have about 10-15 pictures of it, me with it and my husband and I together and tried to get some close ups of the Devils' names. I put my home jersey on for the pictures and once everyone (there were only about 8 or 9 people there at the time, we were lucky enough to get there early so I could hog savor it for myself for a bit) saw my jersey, got a good laugh and said, "Well you're not a fan!" Those of you who have met me know what I mean. There are only two spaces left so the bottom ring will be taken off and moved up after the 2005 team wins it (think someone had mentioned this already).

It's awesome to think that three weeks ago tomorrow, this was the same Cup that Stevens hoisted over his head before letting the rest of the team hold it and skate with it, drink out of it. Really thrilling! A few other friends of this guy came over, some neighbors and some people who just saw it gleaming on the porch as they drove by. We went to a bar later on and it turned out some guys who had Devils' hats on knew my husband's teammate growing up and they then went up to see it. (*Dew one of them had a strong resemblance to our Danish! Aiye! Some afternoon I had!*)They were so happy they bought us a few drinks and had the same thrill we did in seeing the hardware in person. For a hockey fan, there is no greater joy! Being that we got to see it and it was "ours" this year made it all the better! If I could have, I would have picked it up or wrapped myself around it! To have the opportunity to spend so much time with it in such a private setting is definitely a once in a lifetime deal, no doubt about that. I have been quite blessed this year! azzangel.gif

Had to share the story with my cronies and friends here! icon12.gif

wow thats great! The cup really is so amazing to be near. You know what I noticed? The first time got to touch the cup was summer of 99 at the stars season ticket holders cup party and that season the Devils won it in 2000. Well last summer I went up to Toronto and got to touch the cup up there and the devils won this year. I think that every summer I should go search for the cup and touch it so the devils can win it again!

First thing I did was rub my fingers all over it! :lol: Every little nook, all the scratches, marks and indents that are on it.

IF I ever meet Scott Stevens ..err.. I mean... see the Cup up close and personal I'll do the exact same thing...

All I can say is it couldn't have happened to a nicer person! and Yey Leo - see somethings only a husband can do!!!! :P

:evil:

Gee Derek, I didn't know you were an NHL player.

I just don't feel that I, being a fan, would have earned that right to touch it. I think for a player, it's different because they battled to get it.

I have seen the Cup up close before. Awesome.

Way to go Zam...yeah it is something else, isn't it...at first I thought it showed up after I left Saturday night :o We should try and scan your pics and my picture and see if we can blend to make it one picture :D

btw...was the danish available ***faints***