Oh, baby! Martin Skoula thrilled about new son and old uniforms

thelastonealive

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/03/oh_baby_martin_skoula_gets_a_n.html

"No, I was too young," Leblond said. "I've seen the team pictures here. I always thought it was good."

So does Andrew Peters.

"Awesome. I think they're really cool. It will be neat to see," Peters said after practice. "I love when teams do retro. They should bring back the Winnipeg Jets jerseys in Phoenix and the Minnesota North Stars. Carolina should wear the Hartford Whalers jerseys and the Cooperalls.

"It reminds me of when you were a kid. If they went full retro, I'd go with no helmet and a mustache. Take all the labels off the boards. No music, just organ. Have a total throwback night."

That was the first time I laughed because of Andrew Peters in ages, rather than shaking my head. Well played, Andrew.

Mark Fraser is among those who feel using the original colors just once "keeps it special." General manager Lou Lamoriello told me he would consider using retro jerseys once a season, but no more.

Lou's going soft. :lol:

Yeah but Lou's a superstitious freak...if we ever lost this game in the throwbacks after going five for five against the Pens this year, those babies are going back in the closet for good, or at least as long as he's around.

i'd be surprised if lou even shows up to the game. he'll probably be at the bottom of a bottle somewhere, lamenting the use of the jerseys. :(

Yeah but Lou's a superstitious freak...if we ever lost this game in the throwbacks after going five for five against the Pens this year, those babies are going back in the closet for good, or at least as long as he's around.

yeah one of the reasons i've always been 50-50 about lou. the lack of 3rd jerseys and the fact we actually have a numbering system? i guess tradition is important, but that's limiting things a little much. and how do we get people like Richer, Mogilny and Gilmour and they're allowed to break the numbering system?

Speaking of Lou and his numbering system etc, I was wondering if there's some kind of a rule that you can't have a beard in Devils? I mean, now that Gionta is no longer a Devil he has that beard and Oduya's been rocking that thick facial hair in Atlanta as well. I know this is weird, but I was just wondering :D

Speaking of Lou and his numbering system etc, I was wondering if there's some kind of a rule that you can't have a beard in Devils? I mean, now that Gionta is no longer a Devil he has that beard and Oduya's been rocking that thick facial hair in Atlanta as well. I know this is weird, but I was just wondering :D

NO facial hair policy, just like the Yanks....

No 3rd jersey for the devils.

I love that we are fans of an organization building a real fundamental tradition. No gimmicks, no BS, just winning & hard work.

This is a great limited event.

If (when) the Devs have another St. Patty's game, do it again. Until then, nah.................

I'mm not so sure that's true. The Devils can arrange that if Lou pressures the league.

I think next year's a definite no, though. The Rock is hosting opening round NCAA tournament games next year, I don't see how a Devils game can squeeze in too.

That said, if not for that, it's definitely possible. The Stars always play at home on New Year's Eve...I'm reasonably certain the Isles always play a matinee on Martin Luther King day...so it's possible to do, but next year seems unlikely because the the Prudential Center's schedule.

yeah one of the reasons i've always been 50-50 about lou. the lack of 3rd jerseys and the fact we actually have a numbering system? i guess tradition is important, but that's limiting things a little much. and how do we get people like Richer, Mogilny and Gilmour and they're allowed to break the numbering system?

They had long been established wearing their numbers before they came here, so Lou made exceptions. He actually wanted Gilmour to take #9 I believe.

i'd be surprised if lou even shows up to the game. he'll probably be at the bottom of a bottle somewhere, lamenting the use of the jerseys. :(

Nah, Lou's not one to imbibe... he'll probably be catching the action at Panera while enjoying a flat-bread turkey wrap and an iced tea. :P

I love Peters comments, he plays it old school.

Totally down with the Peters comments. The league should look into one big throwback night. That would be insanely awesome.

I think next year's a definite no, though. The Rock is hosting opening round NCAA tournament games next year, I don't see how a Devils game can squeeze in too.

Unless they move St. Patty's day back a week, it won't be a problem. The Rock is hosting the East Regional games (sweet 16/elite 8), not the opening round, on March 25 and 27

Unless they move St. Patty's day back a week, it won't be a problem. The Rock is hosting the East Regional games (sweet 16/elite 8), not the opening round, on March 25 and 27

Oh wow, I just figured the venue is the same from the opening round to the sweet sixteen. Nice. Good deal, I hope this does become a tradition for us the way NYE is for Dallas, then. :cheers:

Well it didn't really generate the hype they expected when it was advertised as a "one time only" thing.. Not to mention that we won't always have 3/17 home game

It didn't? there was a borderline frenzy when they started selling those things. the bean counters are going to demand this become a yearly thing, as long as people buy red and green products. between those and Kovalchuk junk, it was a nice little goosing of revenue.

Let me say as a Yankees fan I love that the Devils for being a relatively young organization want to build a tradition. There is nothing wrong with the Devils NOT having a 3rd jersey; if it ain't broke don't fix it!

The Yankees don't have a 3rd jersey like most of MLB and that works for them. The "Interlocking NY" on the pinstripes along with the road grays with "NEW YORK" on the chest makes their uniforms timeless and classics. The traditional striping on the Devils jersey on the lower torso and sleeves, the black draping on the shoulders and the "Interlocking horned-tailed NJ" in the center of the jersey has become an instant classic and is becoming timeless.

The idea I had brought up in a pervious thread regarding these jerseys, was the idea of using it on St. Patrick's Day, as well as for Sunday home games. It would become a great added tradition for us to be home on St. Patrick's Day and wearing these honoring our history. The Lakers have their home golds and road purples; however on home Sunday and holiday games they wear their white alternates. I think that this would be great idea for the "green" jerseys. :evil:

FYI: Since these jerseys have been released they have been the top selling jersey on NHL.com out of all 30 teams. I think this is definately indicative of a market for these jerseys with Devils fans and collectors!

Edited by ChilltownDevs2673
  • Like 1