GDT: St. Patty's Party at the Rock: Pittsburgh @ Devils

MadDog2020

And suddenly, just like that, the Devils have won four out of five and people are stepping back from the ledge. A beautiful thing.

Whoever this dynamic and energetic Zubrus is (complete with impressive moves), I hope it somehow continues. He's been terrific.

Old-school unis were awesome, though I hated the white Edge-flap on the bottom hem...almost looked like a white undershirt that hadn't been tucked in. Would've liked to seen one of the two Christmas-era fonts used too, but that's nitpicking...I really hope this becomes a once-a-year event. I think Lou sees how much fun it is for EVERYONE involved.

Although last night's game didn't bring me to this observation, one thing I've been wondering about Kovalchuk, now that I've gotten to see him play here for a bit...I wonder if he's ever been properly coached or taught at any level. He seems like he's so raw in so many ways (almost like a 2nd-year player with tremendous upside), which sounds strange to say about a player who's put up the numbers that Ilya has, but overall his decision-making has me saying "WHAT?!" quite a bit. It seems as though everything he's achieved has been largely built on talent alone (which he obviously has tons of)...I almost wish I could put Parise's brain into Kovalchuk's body just to see what might happen. I've always appreciated Parise's abilities, but even more so now that Kovalchuk's here...in terms of pure hockey sense, Parise is light-years ahead of Ilya in my eyes. I'm not saying that I'm against Kovalchuk's coming here (no matter what happens, it was 100% the right move to make), and I think he'll contribute plenty in the weeks to come, but I'd think very long and hard about re-signing him for the dollars he's going to be looking for. At the very least, I think the Devils' coaching staff has work to do with him...I don't think Atlanta did one thing to make him a better player in his tenure there.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i never thought i would see the day i don't hate zubrus, he's been playing great lately, i really hope he rolls into the playoffs the same way. martin had a monster comeback, we now have nhl class defense. it's starting to trend up just at the right time, last year we were trending down going in to the playoffs, so this looks like a good karma.

Great game to see, fantastic crowd :) The "you can't beat us" in the last minute or so with the place rocking was awesome LOL It was my son'd first Devils home game and I think he'll remember it all his life. Just a great game by the Devs :)

did anyone else pick up on the weirdness when chico was talking about his "friend" that gave him the original marty jersey...then they showed the clip and marty was wearing a red jersey and chico had the white? really quite bizarre and awkward...

priceless...LoL!

HAhaah I just watched that...SO AKWARD....there was good dead silence...But didn't Marty play a preseason game in the white?

the pelley call was fine. even if that ref didn't see it (which i think he did, because the play was still directly in his line of sight), he could consult with the other officials. it's a dangerous play and goligoski did turn but pelley never reacted.

the lack of calls on pittsburgh in general was ridiculous but that is just standard for devils games at this point.

Yea, the Pelley call was legit, but Letang only getting a roughing minor from what ensued after the hit was possibly the most beyond absurd non call I've seen in an NHL game, minus Pandolfo getting drilled from behind in Detroit.

Letang literally skated all the way across the ice, dropped his gloves and jumped Pelley. Granted, Pelley made him pay for it, but instigating a fight in the third period and only getting a roughing minor?? Give me a break. This is the exact reason I have no respect for NHL officials.

Yea, the Pelley call was legit, but Letang only getting a roughing minor from what ensued after the hit was possibly the most beyond absurd non call I've seen in an NHL game, minus Pandolfo getting drilled from behind in Detroit.

Letang literally skated all the way across the ice, dropped his gloves and jumped Pelley. Granted, Pelley made him pay for it, but instigating a fight in the third period and only getting a roughing minor?? Give me a break. This is the exact reason I have no respect for NHL officials.

I don't mind that. I'm actually happy the ref did it. Most players in the league will tell you that that is the exact situation where they want the instigator dropped. After a dirty hit like that, the player should pay the price right then and there without all the penalties that normally come with an instigator.

Save the first ten minutes, The Devils played a great game. Sick save by Fluery off Zubs on that break a way in the 2nd. Loved seeing the throwbacks and Marty's mask. I'm wondering if Pelly is going to be suspended on the hit into the boards. Is it me or was the green a little too dark. I could have sworn it was a little lighter originally. No matter, I'd love to see the throwbacks used again on the ice and loved seeing them. Too bad I wasn't able to attend the game.

And suddenly, just like that, the Devils have won four out of five and people are stepping back from the ledge. A beautiful thing.

Whoever this dynamic and energetic Zubrus is (complete with impressive moves), I hope it somehow continues. He's been terrific.

Old-school unis were awesome, though I hated the white Edge-flap on the bottom hem...almost looked like a white undershirt that hadn't been tucked in. Would've liked to seen one of the two Christmas-era fonts used too, but that's nitpicking...I really hope this becomes a once-a-year event. I think Lou sees how much fun it is for EVERYONE involved.

Although last night's game didn't bring me to this observation, one thing I've been wondering about Kovalchuk, now that I've gotten to see him play here for a bit...I wonder if he's ever been properly coached or taught at any level. He seems like he's so raw in so many ways (almost like a 2nd-year player with tremendous upside), which sounds strange to say about a player who's put up the numbers that Ilya has, but overall his decision-making has me saying "WHAT?!" quite a bit. It seems as though everything he's achieved has been largely built on talent alone (which he obviously has tons of)...I almost wish I could put Parise's brain into Kovalchuk's body just to see what might happen. I've always appreciated Parise's abilities, but even more so now that Kovalchuk's here...in terms of pure hockey sense, Parise is light-years ahead of Ilya in my eyes. I'm not saying that I'm against Kovalchuk's coming here (no matter what happens, it was 100% the right move to make), and I think he'll contribute plenty in the weeks to come, but I'd think very long and hard about re-signing him for the dollars he's going to be looking for. At the very least, I think the Devils' coaching staff has work to do with him...I don't think Atlanta did one thing to make him a better player in his tenure there.

Great observation regarding Ilya. Now that I think about it after watching him play, I totally agree. Such raw talent but so undisciplined in so many ways. He should sign with NJ long term just to learn how to correctly play the game. One thing about him though, he's not a prima donna and I think he WANTS to learn and be better. He does seem humbled being here, around guys who have won and expect to win. I think he's a keeper. And Parise is just special in so many ways that I don't have the time to type them all up. Zach Parise must remain a NJ Devil for the rest of his playing days, period.

I don't mind that. I'm actually happy the ref did it. Most players in the league will tell you that that is the exact situation where they want the instigator dropped. After a dirty hit like that, the player should pay the price right then and there without all the penalties that normally come with an instigator.

I know where you are coming from there, BUT, the counter argument there is that the officials are supposed to call it by the book...impossible I know, but things that clear cut shouldn't be given a pass.

Just got back from the game.

I don't know if it was just me, but everytime I saw Langs in that red and green No. 15 jersey, I kept thinking it was John MacLean.

smile.gif

Great win, tons of fun before, during and afterward.

Go Devils!

I thought the same and saw "9" on Zach and thought Don Lever is back!!! Doc thought so too, when he saw "27" in green and red and wanted to call him Randy Veleschek.

Did anyone else notice that when they came out on the ice, they were playing the Hey Devils Catch Fire song from the 80s? :rofl:

I was impressed with how not-half-assed this thing was, the team really got into it and they put it together well. Very little modern music, highlight packages w3ith the old jerseys, all the graphics in green. They didn't overlook much. (Though they show DMC from Run-DMC on the video screen, he's obviously having a great time, it's thrownback night, and they don't play It's Tricky?! They play It's Tricky every other game! That disappointed me.)

Considering how poorly put together some of the Stanley Cup night games were earlier this year, I was really impressed with the overall experience put together for last night. Well played, Devils.

Did anyone else notice that when they came out on the ice, they were playing the Hey Devils Catch Fire song from the 80s? :rofl:

I was impressed with how not-half-assed this thing was, the team really got into it and they put it together well. Very little modern music, highlight packages w3ith the old jerseys, all the graphics in green. They didn't overlook much. (Though they show DMC from Run-DMC on the video screen, he's obviously having a great time, it's thrownback night, and they don't play It's Tricky?! They play It's Tricky every other game! That disappointed me.)

Maybe they were afraid that DMC would ask for royalties? :giggle:

Great observation regarding Ilya. Now that I think about it after watching him play, I totally agree. Such raw talent but so undisciplined in so many ways. He should sign with NJ long term just to learn how to correctly play the game. One thing about him though, he's not a prima donna and I think he WANTS to learn and be better. He does seem humbled being here, around guys who have won and expect to win. I think he's a keeper. And Parise is just special in so many ways that I don't have the time to type them all up. Zach Parise must remain a NJ Devil for the rest of his playing days, period.

I think there is alot of truth to this,Ilya speaks so highly of the organization you can't help but feel he wants to be coached. I remember us playing him early in the year and him making a undisciplined play that the announcers were chastising him over but I think that he has never been taught how to play within a system. Either way I hope he stays as I can see him really benefiting from being around a Parise, Langs and Elias, I mean seriously someone needs to pull him aside and help him with his breakaways.

INCREDIBLE GAME! This is one to remember. And an absolute classless call by the Penguins announcers. I was at the game last night and i'm watching the highlights on the Devils website. My favorite quotes by this Pens announcer are as follows:

"Zajac in front trying to tip the puck, but at least this time he didnt hit Fleury's glove, which was by the way how the Devils won that game."

"They call these the "Christmas Jerseys" and appropiately so because the Penguins are giving them gifts tonight."

"Pretty packed house here tonight, unlike most of the games we come to here at the Rock."

And not to mention their obviously biased call when Patty got his breakaway:

"UGHHHHHH! Another breakaway......" :doh1:

Yeah, those were brutal. I was at the game, too. I can't wait till I have a sec to sit down and watch it on the DVR to see how Doc and Chico called.

Yeah, those were brutal. I was at the game, too. I can't wait till I have a sec to sit down and watch it on the DVR to see how Doc and Chico called.

Just watched the NHL.com highlights which had the Pens announcers and good god, u hear a few attendance cracks on a 5:00 minute highlight vid. Cant imagine listening to those a$$holes the entire game.

Do yourself a favor and just compare the way those Pittsburgh scumbags called the Elias breakaway to the way Doc and Chico called it. To give the Pens fans a little credit, they can't stand the guy either.

"They call these the "Christmas Jerseys" and appropiately so because the Penguins are giving them gifts tonight."

I LOL'd at that one.

Just watched the NHL.com highlights which had the Pens announcers and good god, u hear a few attendance cracks on a 5:00 minute highlight vid. Cant imagine listening to those a$$holes the entire game.

Their MO is to figure out one thing about the opposing team, then repeat it incessantly the entire game. The attendance thing was new this game. In previous games it's been the "trap" or Brodeur.

They talked a lot about Marty last night, but it was a lot of good stuff, so I actually give credit to them. Other than that, they did mention attendance quite a few times. They said the arena was pretty packed and it was the most Devils fans they've seen at a Penguins - Devs game and I was like WTF? It's a sellout, the arena is full, don't act like there's 16,000 in there and talk like you've never seen a sellout at the Rock against the Pens, because it happens more often than not, I believe. :unsure:

I watched the game today and boy, it looked great. :) The jerseys, the atmosphere, the game itself... I can only imagine being there and getting to actually experience it. :)

They talked a lot about Marty last night, but it was a lot of good stuff, so I actually give credit to them. Other than that, they did mention attendance quite a few times. They said the arena was pretty packed and it was the most Devils fans they've seen at a Penguins - Devs game and I was like WTF? It's a sellout, the arena is full, don't act like there's 16,000 in there and talk like you've never seen a sellout at the Rock against the Pens, because it happens more often than not, I believe. :unsure:

I watched the game today and boy, it looked great. :) The jerseys, the atmosphere, the game itself... I can only imagine being there and getting to actually experience it. :)

All three Pens games @NJ have been sellouts this year. Only 2 of the 3 games @PIT have been sellouts.

Took a friend to the game last night, who never even watched a hockey game. She is a huge fan now!! Guessing the Jersey helped a little there. Now she wants a Parise jersey, and a picture with him. Hmmm she will be a hardcore fan soon! :)