Help improve the Rock

Vic Rattlehead18

Crowded walkways are annoying and I'll see what we can do to prevent congestion there. Nothing can be done if you're waiting behind someone getting their ticket checked, only if they're hanging out in the walkway. We're told to check everyone's tickets, which is impossible really if you don't want to delay things. And it won't be a win from me, I never take credit for others ideas. I would simply say "a friend of mine made a suggestion that I thought I'd bring to your attention."

I definitely get checking tickets, especially at the beginning of games, I just think the usher can pull people aside while they check their tickets rather than do it right in the walkway or in front of both sets of stairs since a large line builds up that doesn't have to be there.

I also bet everyone is fine if you want to say you came up with the ideas, I know I don't care. :lol:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less garbage music and more organ music and metal.

Better yet whoever the guy is that controls the music needs to get a better feel for the crowd.

Back when we played Pitt on March 12th and Ilya Kovalchuk was taking his penalty shot we had a nice " KOVI-KOVI" chant going.

But you wouldn't know it because Van Halen was blasting over the PA.

EVERY usher is required to give you a high five after a win (not a loss). If an usher doesn't high five you, they can get in trouble.

See I dunno if I like THAT, it felt more genuine and real before... least most of the ushers who do, do seem all pumped up about that and that is a BILLION times better then "the game is over get the fvck out" from the dump!

You need to do something about getting double doors or some other barrier for the smoking decks. When the wind blows, the sections behind the Visitors goal is like sitting in a smoking pit. Two times in 2 years I had to leave with my kids because their eyes were tearing and the coughing from the smoke (I'm allergic too). I actually wrote to JVB about this, without reply. Hey, I'm for everyone's right to smoke if they want, but when that door opens and closes that often, it's like hanging inside with 100 smokers.

I agree, stop insisting on seeing our tickets every time we get up from our seats and come back, it really slows people down getting back before the action starts and it's a major pain when you're carrying food in your hands to put it down and fish your ticket out of your pocket. OK, i can maybe see the first time when you come in, but really only if you look like you don't know where you're going. ... right?

I was thinking of buying a couple of those Devils ticket lanyards on eBay for like 10 or 12 bucks each. I've seen some people at games wearing them around their neck.

I was thinking of buying a couple of those Devils ticket lanyards on eBay for like 10 or 12 bucks each. I've seen some people at games wearing them around their neck.

yeah that's actually a good idea come to think of it, cause it's like you walk in thinking at most you'd have to show your tickets twice, once at the gate and prob once at the entrance to your section (to prove you paid the cash for the seats you're going to sit in), but having to show them every time you leave your seat and come back is a little much to control the people that try to crawl down to the more expensive seats when it's obvious there are unattended seats in the lower deck.

personally i think we're lucky Vanderbeek bought the team

I think things are awesome...things have never been better on so many levels..obviously Newark isn't the most comfortable local but a devil fan can be proud to say we play at the rock...beautiful rink

went to the viewing party for the maple leaf game...really enjoyed it...nice not having to ask to turn on the game especially considering NCAA is on every bar tv...devils dancers and rar rar guy were a nice touch keeping the attention focused on the task at hand

this is obvious but a near packed / packed game is so much more fun then one that is not...i say this because you guys have been doing a great job getting tickets out which i hope pay's off in the long term

uummm...oh wait i have some great idea's...get rid of the flyer so we can have southern jersey back! reverse the economy because large chucks of the middle class are getting crushed.....oh and winning a stanley cup might help the base maybe :pray:

Better yet whoever the guy is that controls the music needs to get a better feel for the crowd.

Back when we played Pitt on March 12th and Ilya Kovalchuk was taking his penalty shot we had a nice " KOVI-KOVI" chant going.

agreed...would be nice if we could pull off a chant like in vancover...llooooouuuu

its all about being one at the game...high fives and jazz...everyone chanting for a player they love sends great vibes all around

Allow some outside food. They threw out my black and white cookie! :argh:

Sorry, we can't allow in any outside food. That cookie you bought elsewhere to eat is a cookie you didn't buy at the arena. :(

I definitely get checking tickets, especially at the beginning of games, I just think the usher can pull people aside while they check their tickets rather than do it right in the walkway or in front of both sets of stairs since a large line builds up that doesn't have to be there.

Mostly we can't pull the person aside because we need to check all tickets. It wouldn't be fair to check one persons ticket, let 8 people go, then check the next ticket. Pulling someone aside who has no idea where they're going, yeah I can see that. Usually there are 2 ushers to a stairway though, so there still shouldn't be any issue. We do try to allow you to get to your seat as soon as possible.

I'm not sure on this one, but I think the organist (I think his name is Pete) does the music too. But I agree that some of the musical choice is sad. Like when they play Pink during a fight. UGH

See I dunno if I like THAT, it felt more genuine and real before... least most of the ushers who do, do seem all pumped up about that and that is a BILLION times better then "the game is over get the fvck out" from the dump!

I may have not picked my words wisely. A better choice of words would have been Every usher is encouraged to high five and it is frowned upon if we don't. It's not something we get in trouble for, just that since the fans love it we want to make sure the fans are as happy as possible, therefore we high five more. Let's just pretend I never even said anything :)

You need to do something about getting double doors or some other barrier for the smoking decks. When the wind blows, the sections behind the Visitors goal is like sitting in a smoking pit. Two times in 2 years I had to leave with my kids because their eyes were tearing and the coughing from the smoke (I'm allergic too). I actually wrote to JVB about this, without reply. Hey, I'm for everyone's right to smoke if they want, but when that door opens and closes that often, it's like hanging inside with 100 smokers.

I'm not sure what could be done about this. I hate smoking with a passion. I would think double doors would create more smoke flow. No other barrier would prevent that either. Even if you put the doors on a side angle would allow smoke to come into the arena. The only real solution would be to move the smoking section to a different area that is away from everyone. But even then, it wouldn't be fair to the smokers to have to travel far. My suggestion would be to move your seats to the other side of the bowl. Sections 13 & 14 instead of 2 & 3.

personally i think we're lucky Vanderbeek bought the team

I think things are awesome...things have never been better on so many levels..obviously Newark isn't the most comfortable local but a devil fan can be proud to say we play at the rock...beautiful rink

went to the viewing party for the maple leaf game...really enjoyed it...nice not having to ask to turn on the game especially considering NCAA is on every bar tv...devils dancers and rar rar guy were a nice touch keeping the attention focused on the task at hand

this is obvious but a near packed / packed game is so much more fun then one that is not...i say this because you guys have been doing a great job getting tickets out which i hope pay's off in the long term

uummm...oh wait i have some great idea's...get rid of the flyer so we can have southern jersey back! reverse the economy because large chucks of the middle class are getting crushed.....oh and winning a stanley cup might help the base maybe :pray:

Thank you for your input. I will make sure we close the flyers franchise as soon as possible :)

I may have not picked my words wisely. A better choice of words would have been Every usher is encouraged to high five and it is frowned upon if we don't. It's not something we get in trouble for, just that since the fans love it we want to make sure the fans are as happy as possible, therefore we high five more. Let's just pretend I never even said anything :)

That's better!!! Let me maintain my delusion :P

but still a light-year jump from the old dump still!!!

I agree, stop insisting on seeing our tickets every time we get up from our seats and come back, it really slows people down getting back before the action starts and it's a major pain when you're carrying food in your hands to put it down and fish your ticket out of your pocket. OK, i can maybe see the first time when you come in, but really only if you look like you don't know where you're going. I know it's probably to stop people who didn't pay for the more expensive seats from sneaking down there but it really is a pain when you practically have to pin your ticket to your chest just so it's available at all times to show the next 1000 people who want to see it. I mean if you were let into the arena in the first place you must have a valid ticket, right?

I have season tickets in the upper corner so it really annoys me when they do this. I can understand doing it for the clubs and more expensive seats but come on now, as much as I like 208 why would I sneak there if I had a ticket for the lower bowl or even center-ice uppers? I wouldn't have been able to get into the arena without a ticket so it's not like they're checking to make sure I have one.

Go in through the Lafayette Street entrance. It's far less crowded than either tower, because not many people know of it.

That's one of the advantages of taking the bus from Broad Street, I always get left off right near that entrance and it takes next to no time to get in, even with sellout games. Although the tower that's not near the Devils Den doesn't seem to be too bad either the few times I tried, because it's not the first entrance anyone can get to unless you're going by car and park near there.

Edited by NJDevs26

How about not treating people dressed in business attire like gangsta NWK thugs? I can't stand it, coming to a game straight from work, when myself or friends that I bring along are frisked like we're smuggling in contraband. I realize this is NWK, but come on now! They don't do that @ MSG, which is why you never see THRONGS of people piled up at the entrances there.

How about not treating people dressed in business attire like gangsta NWK thugs? I can't stand it, coming to a game straight from work, when myself or friends that I bring along are frisked like we're smuggling in contraband. I realize this is NWK, but come on now! They don't do that @ MSG, which is why you never see THRONGS of people piled up at the entrances there.

Ever heard of the concept of large crowd security?

You don't think a guy in a suit could bring a gun or a bomb or worse.... his own beer :P... into the arena??

The price of security is convenience... get over yourself :P

Here is a suggestion:

Have them turn the god damn lights on in the PNC Tower.

I mean you are literally walking into darkness.

I know Verizon did a tremendous job with their tower.

However, it is unacceptable that flash lights are needed to see in there.

Terrible!

I completely agree and so do other employees. I worked the PNC tower yesterday scanning tickets...After a while all I was seeing was red from those damn lights.

I completely agree and so do other employees. I worked the PNC tower yesterday scanning tickets...After a while all I was seeing was red from those damn lights.

I enjoy the dark "cave" atmosphere but I'm also young lol..

Like someone else said, they really don't need to check my ticket for my seats in 226.. One time, instead of showing my ticket, I showed them the 226 on my jersey and said "Would I spend $400 on a jersey with 226 on it if I didn't sit here?" She laughed and commended me on my dedication to my section.. I realize it's protocol and you can't discriminate so I really don't care the first time but I put my tickets in my wallet and it's annoying to keep getting checked throughout the game.. Only once would be nice

Just to play devil's advocate here...

It's been three years in this new building now. We all know that they have to check the ticket each time. We all know it's coming, so why not just...y'know...have the ticket out?

That doesn't really strike me as a policy that's going to change so long as ushers are working different locations each game (it's not as easy as "well they should remember me" if you're not seeing the same faces each and every game).

Like I said, just playing devil's advocate, I understand it's annoying, but at the same time, if you know they have to check your ticket when you get back to your section, not having it ready and then complaining about the policy seems kind of ridiculous. If they only checked occasionally and it's completely random as to whether they ask to see your ticket or not, I could see getting annoyed at it. But when you know how they operate, it's gotta be on you some too.

If they only checked occasionally and it's completely random as to whether they ask to see your ticket or not, I could see getting annoyed at it.

That's the reality of what happens though. I understand having a policy that says every ticket must be checked every time but it isn't followed and it isn't surprising it isn't followed. This leads to variable game to game experiences. Also, knowing that a 100% checking policy is unrealistic, although makes sense on paper, crafting a more real world approach would probably make more sense.

Ok I've got one...how about a number you can send a text message to security in order to report obnoxious fans? They do it at Mets games and at other stadiums and arenas as well. I realize some people might be afraid that it could get abused and have people reporting someone just to mess with them but I'm sure once something is reported, security can observe them for a while to see if it's a situation that needs to be dealt with. In the last three years I've been stuck next to some absolutely horrendous examples of drunken humanity including one guy who was threatening to beat the sh!t out of anyone that tried to get him thrown out and cursing out some guy who was there with his kids and asked him to tone it down. Now if someone could have sent an anonymous text with this scumbag's location maybe that dope could have been tossed and that dad might not be afraid to bring his kids to more games.

How about getting off of these antibiotics?

How about stopping eating when I'm filled up?

How about them transparent dangling carrots?

How about that ever elusive kudo?

How those irrelevant situations will help make the hockey arena a better place is beyond me, but again I love the hyprocy of those who are nowhere near the arena getting on my case because I'm being pushed out of my seats (and I rotate those seats between 5-8 people and I was finally going to start bringing family members this year and passing it along to the next generation)... it's fvckING WRONG... and again, I'm not sitting for it... it's just killing me to do it

Let's see how you'd love having your awful River Rats seats price hiked three years in a row!

and you guys will be the FIRST ones going, but there's only 11,000 in the arena... you guys suck.....