Breaking Bad

MantaRay

In my quest for better quality shows (Fringe just didn't cut it) a friend of mine reminded me about "Breaking Bad", season II, which I just finished watching on AMC on demand, the Season Three premiere is on Sunday. This show kicks assets.

Any other fans?

Manta, if you're looking for a quality show to watch, check out Damages. Mondays at 10 on FX. Best show on TV IMO.

Will do MadDog. What season is Damages? Is this on FX on Demand (if that exists)? I know Breaking Bad Season II is on AMC on Demand, but I would also recommend you start from the beginning.

Last night was a very good opening night.

Will do MadDog. What season is Damages? Is this on FX on Demand (if that exists)? I know Breaking Bad Season II is on AMC on Demand, but I would also recommend you start from the beginning.

Last night was a very good opening night.

It was just about one of the best episodes in the previous 2 seasons which, btw, rocked!

Mad Men got very good reviews the first two seasons, but I still haven't had a chance to watch it.

Mad Men is good. I just "acquired" season 3 as it has been shown here on terrestrial tv. But definitely another one that you need to see from the beginning or you'll have no clue what the hell is going on.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if anyone caught last night episode, but I was curious what everyone else thought.

I thought it rather "Kafkaesque"

I love the show, and the series. AMC does such a great job with character development in this series. Not to sound snobbish, but I think present day TV cuts corners on writing. Too many reality shows. Very few compelling characters out there. This last episode caught me off guard, but all of season 3 has been a bit surreal (considering how far we've come since season 1).

Some other great shows (in my opinion) worth watching if you like 'Bad are:

- Justified (season one, FX. Tim Olyphant is perfect. If you liked Deadwood, and like any of Elmore Leonard's books, you will love this show)

- Damages (this past season was great)

- Sons of Anarchy (Katey Sagal is unbelievable in this)

The series is over, but Deadwood is simply amazing (if you can get by all of the language). Anyone have any others?

Edited by Motor City Devil

I love the show, and the series. AMC does such a great job with character development in this series. Not to sound snobbish, but I think present day TV cuts corners on writing. Too many reality shows. Very few compelling characters out there. This last episode caught me off guard, but all of season 3 has been a bit surreal (considering how far we've come since season 1).

Some other great shows (in my opinion) worth watching if you like 'Bad are:

- Justified (season one, FX. Tim Olyphant is perfect. If you liked Deadwood, and like any of Elmore Leonard's books, you will love this show)

- Damages (this past season was great)

- Sons of Anarchy (Katey Sagal is unbelievable in this)

The series is over, but Deadwood is simply amazing (if you can get by all of the language). Anyone have any others?

Thank MCD. I am giving Damages the next shot.

I agree with you present day TV does cut corners: "Reality" Shows are cheap to produce and you can always find a washed up "C" level personality/"star" to do one.

What did you think of this past Sunday's Breaking Bad episode?

The problem with TV is that reality shows are cheap and make a lot of money so that's why every channel wants at least 40 shows to be reality ones...

but anyway, I have every episode of Justified on my DVR waiting to be watched...I dig Olyhpant so I figured I'd give it a try I just haven't got a chance to watch it...

Thank MCD. I am giving Damages the next shot.

I agree with you present day TV does cut corners: "Reality" Shows are cheap to produce and you can always find a washed up "C" level personality/"star" to do one.

What did you think of this past Sunday's Breaking Bad episode?

Please, Please watch Damages in order. It's very important to do so, and will increase your satisfaction in the show series. Since you seem to enjoy character-centric TV, have you checked out Dexter? I know it's on pay-tv, but you can see all of the back episodes on Hulu and/or Netflix. It's definitely worth watching all the way though.

As for the last episode of 'Bad, I loved it. I suppose I should be respectful of everyone else in here and not talk about my thoughts on what happens next, but it was really (REALLY) cool that the writers played us like they did. No one could have forseen the reaction Walt had to Skyler's confession - it's 10 lbs of BS in a 5lb bag, but it seems like Walt has made full transition to a life of crime. He seemed relieved that she didn't squeal on him, and gratified that he can dismiss his part in Hank's injury.

I also liked the direction that the writers took Jesse's character. He's so screwed when he gets caught!

What were your thoughts?

Does anyone know if this is the series finale, or will it go another season? Part of me hopes it wraps up, this is a good spot coming up (Hank is going to get better and start asking questions).

Edited by Motor City Devil

Please, Please watch Damages in order. It's very important to do so, and will increase your satisfaction in the show series. Since you seem to enjoy character-centric TV, have you checked out Dexter? I know it's on pay-tv, but you can see all of the back episodes on Hulu and/or Netflix. It's definitely worth watching all the way though.

As for the last episode of 'Bad, I loved it. I suppose I should be respectful of everyone else in here and not talk about my thoughts on what happens next, but it was really (REALLY) cool that the writers played us like they did. No one could have forseen the reaction Walt had to Skyler's confession - it's 10 lbs of BS in a 5lb bag, but it seems like Walt has made full transition to a life of crime. He seemed relieved that she didn't squeal on him, and gratified that he can dismiss his part in Hank's injury.

I also liked the direction that the writers took Jesse's character. He's so screwed when he gets caught!

What were your thoughts?

Does anyone know if this is the series finale, or will it go another season? Part of me hopes it wraps up, this is a good spot coming up (Hank is going to get better and start asking questions).

Chronological order is the way to watch a series. So, yes I am watching Damages from the start.

I love Dexter, which another brilliant show.

Yes, Walt is in too deep and really in denial about all the lifes he has destroyed.

I am having a discussion group in my office at 11am to discuss Sunday's episode. I thought it was interesting and basically was the Kafka-esque description that they hinted at the previous week. The fly metaphor, the drugging of Walt and the near guilt ridden admission about Jane, while Jessie was basically in a death prone position had me hanging on the edge of my seat. AIthough the episode had no action, it was a lot deeper in hindsight.

I am having a discussion group in my office at 11am to discuss Sunday's episode.

I wish more of my co-workers would watch this show. It's torture not having many people to talk to in person about this.

I'm normally not a huge sci-fi person, but I fell in love with Battlestar Galactica's series. Did you ever watch it? If you are a big fan of character analysis - that is a great one to watch. It shows the darkest of dark sides of "good" people when they are stressed. It's about redemption, love, and in the end hope. If youlike attractive females, this show has several to choose from as well. (Not the only reason to watch though, promise.)

I wish more of my co-workers would watch this show. It's torture not having many people to talk to in person about this.

I'm normally not a huge sci-fi person, but I fell in love with Battlestar Galactica's series. Did you ever watch it? If you are a big fan of character analysis - that is a great one to watch. It shows the darkest of dark sides of "good" people when they are stressed. It's about redemption, love, and in the end hope. If youlike attractive females, this show has several to choose from as well. (Not the only reason to watch though, promise.)

I did watch BSG and enjoyed, but I also found it very much like Ronald Moore's writing for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, which is one of my all time favorite shows. Hands down the best ST show ever written. But I digress.

The more our group talked about this weeks Breaking Bad's episode the more each of us saw something different about it.

• 3 weeks later...