Shiza! Kariya And Selanne Sign W/Col

Weekes Head

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From a long time Ducks fan (found on a board):

"We are now DONE! As a longtime Ducks fan, it's time to call it quits. They had a great run in the Playoffs, but anybody who spins this in anything other than a negative way, is delusional. The Ducks have ceased to be a Stanley Cup Contender. Hope everyone got their fill of it this season, because Giguere ain't going to take us there on his own."

They also have a thread of whether they should "BOO" Kariya next year...

I just can't get enough... :P

Really? I mean the actual player, not just the rights.

You ARE trading the rights. But usually what happens is the team that wants to trade the unsigned player & his rights gives permission to the team he would go to to speak w/his agent and make sure they can agree on the basics of a deal before the trade is made.

1.2???????????????? They must have put the decimal point in the wrong place.

That was my thought as well... :)

Lacroix got Paul drunk and made him believe that decimal was really a comma.

As far as the RFA thing... 99.9% sure.

Stars sign one-year deals; Kariya takes big paycut

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

DENVER -- The Colorado Avalanche has signed unrestricted free agents Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne to one-year contracts, the Associated Press learned Thursday.

Teemu Selanne and Paul Kariya last played together during the 2000-01 season.

The signing of the two high-scoring forwards was to be announced at a news conference at 4 p.m. ET on Thursday.

An NHL source said Kariya, who played with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks last season, agreed to a $1.2 million contract. Selanne, who declined his option at $6.5 million with the San Jose Sharks, agreed to a $5.8 million contract with Colorado.

The source said Kariya had specific reasons for signing the relatively low contract figure, but did not elaborate. Selanne was not expected to be at the news conference, remaining in his homeland of Finland.

Kariya and Selanne are two of the NHL's top forwards, scoring 56 and 64 points, respectively, last season.

Kariya, a left wing, has been Anaheim's only real star in recent years. He had six goals and six assists over 21 games this postseason, helping lead the Mighty Ducks to the NHL finals, where they lost to New Jersey in seven games.

The seven-time All-Star has played his entire career in Anaheim, where he was a team leader. He became an unrestricted free agent Monday night when the Ducks declined to make him a qualifying offer, refusing to match the $10 million he made last season.

He holds a string of team records, including most career goals (300) and assists (369).

This season, Kariya played in all 82 games for the second consecutive year, and had 25 goals and 56 points.

Selanne had 28 goals and 64 points last season, leading the team in both categories while improving his two-way game and physical play. He was named the team's most valuable player.

In declining his option, Selanne believed he could make more money on the free-agent market.

He was one of the most attractive scorers available this summer, although it was unlikely he could get a lucrative long-term deal with the expiration of the NHL's collective bargaining agreement looming in September 2004.

rant2.gif

P.S. ilovebrodeur30, is that nipple I see in your avatar? :huh:

Well -- the first thing in this thread to make me smile! sammyk - This is a perfect all around post in my humble opinion!

My take on this whole thing? I feel like I just ate a bad clam...

It's like a fvcking perfect allstar team --well, they don't have marty. Think they'll try for leech? they need more star appeal on their D. Foote is over-rated and Blake is skating too old now.

Haveanotherdonut -- anything can happen of course but they've got some fine hockey players with justifiably large egos and a desire to win and just enough character to know that they'll have to suck it up and play as a team to win...

God I really hate this billious feeling I have. I hope the Wild kick their asses next year anyhow. What a fvcking ego their owner must have. I'm

:mellow: well I can't express it at the moment...

whatever :mellow: