Teams with easy opponents in the final games

Vic Rattlehead18

A Ranger fan kept swearing to me that they'll make the playoffs. So I looked at their upcoming schedule, and it looks like they will. Their schedule is so easy. They'll probably split the series with Flyers and only lose to the Sabres. It also looks like the Sabres have an easy stretch. So even if we capture 1st place in our division, I think we'll end up losing out to Buffalo and take 3rd seed. Penguins also have an easy schedule and Atlanta is doomed with those last 5 games.

Capitals: 109

Flames

Senators

Thrashers

Blue Jackets

Bruins

Penguins

Thrashers

Bruins

Devils: 91

Canadiens

Flyers

Bruins

Blackhawks

Hurricanes

Thrashers

Panthers

Islanders

Sabres

Sabres: 90

Senators

Lightning

Bruins

Panthers

Maple Leafs

Canadiens

Rangers

Bruins

Senators

Devils

Penguins: 91

Flyers

Maple Leafs

Lightning

Thrashers

Capitals

Islanders

Thrashers

Islanders

Senators: 83

Sabres

Panthers

Capitals

Hurricanes

Islanders

Panthers

Lightning

Sabres

Canadiens: 82

Devils

Hurricanes

Flyers

Sabres

Islanders

Hurricanes

Leafs

Flyers: 80

Penguins

Devils

Islanders

Canadiens

Red Wings

Leafs

Rangers

Rangers

Bruins: 78

Flames

Sabres

Devils

Panthers

Leafs

Capitals

Sabres

Hurricanes

Capitals

Thrashers: 76

Hurricanes

Hurricanes

Leafs

Capitals

Penguins

Devils

Capitals

Penguins

Rangers: 75

Leafs

Islanders

Lightning

Panthers

Sabres

Leafs

Flyers

Flyers

Lightning: 72

Sabres

Jackets

Penguins

Rangers

Hurricanes

Senators

Panthers

Panthers

Been saying the same thing all along. The Rangers have the same type of schedule to end the season as the one that they went 7-1 with at the start. It really disgusts me that we were 16 seconds away from dealing them a loss that would greatly reduce their chances. Boston, Philly, and Atlanta couldn't seem to suck any more and want to make the playoffs any less with the way they're all playing and when the Rangers do make it this year it's going to be treated like some kind of miracle finish. Hopefully they'll get bounced like the Isles did in 2007 after their "miracle" finish, but I bet they give Washington a real run once again. I wouldn't even be that surprised if they finish 7th. I'd rather finish 4th than go through two years ago again.

As for us, the only thing helping us with the division is Pittsburgh's injuries and inconsistent play lately, and if we end up leading the division the last weekend of the season, that game against Buffalo is gonna decide who finishes 2nd or 3rd.

the rangers are still terrible. yes, they beat the islanders, and they lucked out a win against new jersey, but they are brutally bad overall.

look at that schedule though you think they will make it? I do. that home and home in the last weekend could decide the fate for both those teams phi and nyr

don't just look at a schedule. every team is capable of beating any other team in any capacity on one given night.

the rangers have proven that just because the other team sucks, they can suck worse.

Yep. I don't think there are any assumptions we can make. Teams pushing to make the playoffs are really emotional. Some nights they play desperate (like last night) and some nights they'll be too tired or the other team will be playing desperate. I truly don't think the Rangers will make the playoffs considering their inconsistency all season to beat even bad teams.

Also, for the record, schedule's not just about the opposing team. The Rangers have two back-to-backs remaining. Which is worth considering, since they'll probably be tired from just pushing every game.

If Boston goes .500 the rest of the season, the Rangers need to go 6-2 to tie them and take it on the tiebreaker.

If Philly goes .500 the rest of the season, the Rangers need to go 7-1, since the Flyers have the tiebreaker.

they'd pretty much have to run the table to catch Montreal at .500, and Ottawa is basically outside the realm of possibility.

Teams that are out of the playoffs are sometimes much more dangerous than those assured of a playoff spot. Non-playoff teams have nothing to lose, and have all sorts of motivation for playing much better than they did when the stakes were higher - younger players will play for spots next year, older players will start trying plays that are too dangerous otherwise, etc.

Teams that are out of the playoffs are sometimes much more dangerous than those assured of a playoff spot. Non-playoff teams have nothing to lose, and have all sorts of motivation for playing much better than they did when the stakes were higher - younger players will play for spots next year, older players will start trying plays that are too dangerous otherwise, etc.

yep, Columbus played completely unhinged here. it didn't pay off against us, but it did the next time out. no way they play like that if they're in the 8-9-10 area.

like the Flyers when they tanked. at the end of the season, they were dangerous

Keep in mind, 6 of the Rangers' 8 remaining games are away games! As far as not every one of their opponents seems strong, it's always tougher going through such a long road trip. The Rangers have been good on the road (17-15-3. The Devils, for a comparison, are 18-15-3. And there's a lot of teams with a losing away record, even in the top 8), but I'm not sure they're gonna make it.

Been saying the same thing all along. The Rangers have the same type of schedule to end the season as the one that they went 7-1 with at the start. It really disgusts me that we were 16 seconds away from dealing them a loss that would greatly reduce their chances. Boston, Philly, and Atlanta couldn't seem to suck any more and want to make the playoffs any less with the way they're all playing and when the Rangers do make it this year it's going to be treated like some kind of miracle finish. Hopefully they'll get bounced like the Isles did in 2007 after their "miracle" finish, but I bet they give Washington a real run once again. I wouldn't even be that surprised if they finish 7th. I'd rather finish 4th than go through two years ago again.

Talk about overdramatization. They managed to steal a win against the Devils last night (who aren't exactly invincible) and some of you guys make them look like they're going for the Cup. Even if they do make the playoffs, they're gonna get smoked by Washington. The Capitals seem to be on top of everyone. Personally, I don't think the Caps are going to win the Cup this year (those favourites rarely go all the way in the playoffs, there are always surprises), but they are definitely going to destroy any opposition they face in the 1st round.

I wouldn't like the Devils to meet the Rangers in the 1st round either, but even if it happened, I think it would be a pretty evenly matched series, with both teams having an identical record against each other this season. It always makes me nervous and it's emotionally draining, but I believe the Devils could survive that series. Not that it's going to happen (the only realistic scenario with that matchup happening is the Devils finishing 2nd and the Rangers 7th. The Devs MIGHT win the division and MAYBE they finish above the Sabres. But I seriously doubt the Rags beating both the Thrashers and Boston/Philadelphia for the 7th spot).

last night was a great chance for the Devils to bury the Rangers last night and they didn't get it done. If the Rangers do make the playoffs, they will look back at this game last night that got them into the playoffs. :puke:

Devils need to learn to bury their division rivals when they have the chance.

By the schedules it looks like Pittsburgh does have the easier schedule and could win the division over the Devils-who have the tougher schedule. That game in hand for the Devils is going to come up HUGE for them down the stretch if they are going to win the division.