Down 2-1, Will the Devils win the series?

brodeurfanatic

Honest Opinions  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Down 2-1, Will the Devils win the series?

• Yes
    • No

I'm not going to be able to watch the next game because of a night class, maybe I could catch the last few minutes. Anyway that game is the series. They win and they get that home ice advantage back, and I don't think the Devils will waste it this time. But going down 3-1 would be too much of an uphill battle.

IF the Devils win game 4, they win the series IMO. Then the Devs come back home where they seem to be a completely different team. If the crowd gets into it like they did Friday, they would have all the momentum in the world to go up 3-2. If the Devils lose tomorrow and go down 3-1, they could still win Thursday and be down 3-2 but then they have to go back down to Philly where it doesn't look too good for them.

I originally predicted Devils in 6 but I think that prediction has been flushed down the toilet. I'm no fortune teller but I just can't see this team pulling off three straight wins against Philly. They haven't even been able to do that since the start of 2010. I fully expected the Devils to be up 2 - 1 after 3 games but it is what it is I guess.

If New Jersey gets their sh!t together they'll likely need the 7 games to do it. If Philly holds on to advance I see them doing it in 6 games.

They need to take 3 out of 4 from Philly. Dear Lord. I'm all for positive thinking but let us not kid ourselves here. The Devils are knee deep in it right now. Obviously 3 - 1 would be worse but it wouldn't even matter at that point. They would be dead in the water.

I mean this is a ridiculously tough series. It jsut seems that we should've been up 2-0 last night, expected their best game at home and I would've taken the loss, and we'd be up 2-1. We couldn't put a puck in the net in game one, and now they are really behind the curve.

They can play better, so that's nice.

I'm not as confident as I once was because of the decision making on this team. I hope they can get on a rhythym here, but I'm not holding my breath.

I am basing this solely on last game...no way will we win this. Not if we we can't hit the net, not if we can't gain the zone, not if we don't slap the Flyers around a little, not if we don't get in their heads.

I just want our shots to hit the net. Boucher blows. They will go in. We miss half or more of all our shots. sh!t at least hit him in the chest and hope for a rebound.

Edited by mrthemike

I mean that's part of it mrthemike. They didn't dangle as much as the blueline in game 2, as tehy did in game 3.

It's very hard for me to understand why they insist on making certain plays all the time. I don't understand why we refuse to cycle, when we have cycling-type players. I don't understand what if we get a 3-on-2 they come in on a straight line. I don't understand what Jamie Langenbrunner is doing out there.

you get one win and you're back to even, so categorizing it as '3 of 4' is a little silly because philadelphia also has to get 2 of 4 from us. i'd put the devils at around a 37% chance of winning this series.

But 3 of 4 is really what they will need to do no matter which way you slice it. They're not taking 3 straight from Philly. It's just not going to happen. As such they'll need the 7 games to do it. While Philly needs to win 2 out of 4, which doesn't seem like much better odds, they also have the luxury of getting to that total a little bit easier.

If the Devils win game 4, yeah they'll be even in the series, but it makes a big difference on how you get there. Think of it like a team that goes down 0 - 2 and wins game 3 compared to a team that is 1 - 1 and fails to win the 3rd game. In both cases you're at 1 - 2 but we all know how low the odds are at coming back from 0 - 2 down. Even if it is even after 4 games, I would much rather be in philly's position at that point.

I'm just trying to be realistic about it. Obviously New Jersey has to win game 4 first and then the series can go either way but this is not going to be an easy task. They're in trouble.

Edited by Sickman

If we keep playing like we have been, we won't win this series.. The Flyers are a rough team but if you shoot the puck it will go in.. Zubrus had a breakaway and didn't pull the trigger in time.. We keep trying to be too pretty and structured in our playing style.. We look like lolligaggers out there!

Our PK pisses me off.. We sit back and let the Flyers hold the puck, so with time what do they do? They look for the open man, the perfect pass.. Notice how on their PK they attack the man with the puck and force us to make quick decisions.. Yeah, you'll get burned this way by leaving a man wide open but if the other team is too pressured to lift their heads and find him or have time to even make that pass, it's not going to happen.. We've had so many PP and can rarely score because we have no time to lift our heads up and find the open man.. No sh!t they're going to keep beating us up.. They get to abuse our players and rest for 2 minutes while we get embarrassed on the PP

The Flyers play a nitty gritty game doing whatever they can to get the puck and get it towards the net.. We are a team of structure and discipline that can't seem to handle the crazy playing style of the Flyers.. It reminds me of the British in the Revolutionary War forming their firing lines and having their structure while the Americans use Guerilla-style warfare to win..

you get one win and you're back to even, so categorizing it as '3 of 4' is a little silly because philadelphia also has to get 2 of 4 from us. i'd put the devils at around a 37% chance of winning this series.

Interesting. What odds would you give should the Devils even the series tomorrow night ?

Devils have won back-to-back games against playoff teams ONCE in 2010 (3/15 Boston - 3/17 Pittsburgh). Both games were at home.

Most importantly. THEY LACK EFFORT.

I wasn't even that pissed yesterday...why would I stress if they don't seem to care? They get more out of winning than I do. If they try and fail, that hurts 'cause thing didn't work for whatever reason. But this heartless effort....

Interesting. What odds would you give should the Devils even the series tomorrow night ?

i'm trying to backwards narrate this, so let's try 55%.

the devils win game 4: 55% * 60% = 33% ... so 55% of the time, they win game 4, and they go on to win the series 60% of the time they do that.

the devils lose game 4: 45% * 12% = 4% ... 45% of the time, they lose game 4, and they go on to win the series 12% of the time they do that.

hey, that works out - it adds up to 37%. i think. i just pulled the numbers mostly from the air. it's a bit generous, i suppose.

Edited by Triumph

Thanks !.

However, personally, I'm not a follower of the past. I feel the future can bring anything. So, I think professional athletes are not held to history, they just make history.

Clearly the Flyers had a lot to do with it, but I am concerned about the lack of intensity/skill on the Devils part last night. We seemingly lost all the puck battles.

We had moments but too early & too few, so it will take 2 wins to reverse the momentum. Let's first get the one win tomorrow.

What are your thoughts about the current situation ?

There is no way in hell I will give up faith, If I was to make an official prediction, we win tom. night.. we take it from there. I don't want to to look to game 5, 6, 7 just yet. We seem to win under pressure, the devils are aware how important it is to win this hockey game.