Down 2-1, Will the Devils win the series?

brodeurfanatic

Honest Opinions  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Down 2-1, Will the Devils win the series?

• Yes
    • No

i voted yes...because it's what i would like of course and they are certainly capable.

However...i am just baffled at the game three performance! They were simply punk'd and run into the ditch by the flyers...WTF???

JL needs to use all 4 lines and all 6 D... scratching Skoula was dumb... but then you dress fraser and only give him 5:52 minutes...

if you're goin to do that do that you may as well play an additional center like pelley.

Also like corrente, but dressing him as a forward is cute during the season, but this is the playoffs...come on now!

Edited by ice dog

I don't want to become the next Mr. Depressey Pants around here, but after the performance in Game 2, I truly believe this team has all but rolled over and died.

The problem is, Philly figured us out. Quick.

Anyone who has followed the team for even a few games over the last few seasons knows that the Devils have had a raging case of getthepuckoutofthezone-itis, and it's reached the terminal stage now.

The Flyers are obviously aware of this as their forecheck has been incredibly aggressive all series long -- and it's worked. The Devils D has been crapping their bucket pants every time they pick up the puck deep in their own zone. It's disgusting.

Offensively, the upper hand seems to be with New Jersey. But, that doesn't mean diddly if you can't play sound in your own end.

Sigh.

i'm trying to backwards narrate this, so let's try 55%.

the devils win game 4: 55% * 60% = 33% ... so 55% of the time, they win game 4, and they go on to win the series 60% of the time they do that.

the devils lose game 4: 45% * 12% = 4% ... 45% of the time, they lose game 4, and they go on to win the series 12% of the time they do that.

hey, that works out - it adds up to 37%. i think. i just pulled the numbers mostly from the air. it's a bit generous, i suppose.

From the air or out of you know where?

I don't want to become the next Mr. Depressey Pants around here, but after the performance in Game 2, I truly believe this team has all but rolled over and died.

The problem is, Philly figured us out. Quick.

Anyone who has followed the team for even a few games over the last few seasons knows that the Devils have had a raging case of getthepuckoutofthezone-itis, and it's reached the terminal stage now.

The Flyers are obviously aware of this as their forecheck has been incredibly aggressive all series long -- and it's worked. The Devils D has been crapping their bucket pants every time they pick up the puck deep in their own zone. It's disgusting.

Offensively, the upper hand seems to be with New Jersey. But, that doesn't mean diddly if you can't play sound in your own end.

Sigh.

I too am frustrated big-time with our inability to clear our zone consistently. this is our true achillies' heel

/remembers the late-90s when this was our strength...

I am not a believer in history, but under a coach like Jacques Lemaire as much as he's been criticized on this board this season, they probably can squeeze out this series. A lot will depend on how they play in Game 4 tomorrow night. I knew the Devils would lose if the game went to OT, because simply they could not muster any chances late in the 3rd and played passive hockey. If they can correct that aspect and play with a lot of intensity they can pull even and then its a different series. Obviously the goal is find a way to win one in Philly, so realistically there is a chance. I have faith in the Devils in this series, because I think some players can pick it up and the "D" needs to chip in more.

Ahh. This naysayer stuff is exactly the thing our CHAMPIONSHIP team must and will evercome and just make the victory ALL THE SWEETER!!!!

BEAT PHILTHY!!!!!!!!!! LETS GO DEVILS!!!

No. Regardless that Marty was briliant last night and Zubrus played his best game as a Devil, this team has lost all cohesiveness since December.

Philly in 5.

Wow talk about hoppin off the wagon, didnt you predict a sweep by the Devils? Things get a little hairy and you are bailing? I originally said Devils in 5, I was wrong, but I still think the Devils win this series. They come up with a big effort tonight, put some doubt in Boucher's head, and the series will turn around for them.

Said it before, say it again…if they can’t score on Boucher they don’t deserve to win. It seems blindingly obvious to me they should be focusing on throwing rubber and bodies at the net to break him.

Now it may be too late, they didn’t respond to the push the home crowd gave Philly and it’s going to be even worse tonite. I’m normally pretty optimistic but I’ve just got a really bad feeling about this. If they prove me wrong and win this one they’ve got an excellent shot but if they go down tonite it’s over in 5.

What kills me is the last few years it’s been ‘Marty’s not getting it done’. This year Marty IS getting it done and we can’t score against Brian Freaking Boucher.

This is definitely not the same team that got off to the fantastic start last October-December. They've lost their focus and heart in a big way and it's too late now to correct it. The Devils have played the Flyers 9 times now and seem bewildered every single game by the aggressive, attacking forechecking and tenacious hitting that the Flyers have only exhibited when they play the Devils. I just don't see that changing all of a sudden. The addition of Kovalchuk should have been the missing piece that was going to propel the offense to new heights, but that hasn't happened. Anyone who has watched this team, especially the second half of the season, could see this coming a mile away; play good/great one game, look like dung for the next two or three; that kind of play will get you nowhere fast. It's really a shame too because when the Devils are on, they look like world beaters. Unfortunately, the switch for this team is stuck on off and the golf season looms on the horizon.

Please make me eat crow on this :pray:

What’s worse is now they’re better overall and Boucher is better than at the start of the series due to the confidence born out of the two wins. They’re no longer the team that came thisclose to blowing a sure playoff spot – and they’re very dangerous. These are the teams that make surprising runs in the postseason.

Essentially, how you vote in this poll reflects how able you think the Devils are to burst that bubble the flyers are riding – it has to come tonight and the earlier the better.

Two things they should look at in the Caps/Habs series – Caps burst Halaks’ bubble the last game and from the flip side, the Habs had a 4-1 lead in the previous game and blew it.

They CAN right the ship….but I don’t know that they will. Right now I tend to doubt it.

While I have my doubts about this team, I simply cannot and will not believe they cannot pull this out and win this series. There's just too much talent on this team (although I don't believe it's being used properly) to not be able to beat the Flyers. That said, they have to win game 4 in regulation. OT is a matter of who blinks first, and Devils seem to be their own worst enemy when they get that far. Devils will win this series in 7.