Brodeur a Vezina finalist

BlueSkirt

Since this is one of the more "reputation" type awards, I tend to agree with Jimmy that Marty will win it again, he certainly has the numbers (most wins, shutouts, basically tied for best GAA). However I see a path for Bryzgalov (who I think should get it) to win, if enough eastern conference votes get split between Miller and Broduer, Ilya could pick up almost all first place votes in the west and come out on top.

Since this is one of the more "reputation" type awards, I tend to agree with Jimmy that Marty will win it again, he certainly has the numbers (most wins, shutouts, basically tied for best GAA). However I see a path for Bryzgalov (who I think should get it) to win, if enough eastern conference votes get split between Miller and Broduer, Ilya could pick up almost all first place votes in the west and come out on top.

Marty might get it on reputation in years where there is no clear cut favourite, but Ryan Miller is a lock for this award. He had one of the best seasons a goalie has had in the last 5-10 years.

And don't think his play at the Olympics won't sway GMs even though it should have no bearing on the award.

Edited by devilsrule33

Marty might get it on reputation in years where there is no clear cut favourite, but Ryan Miller is a lock for this award. He had one of the best seasons a goalie has had in the last 5-10 years.

And don't think his play at the Olympics won't sway GMs even though it should have no bearing on the award.

Miller had a great season, but compared to other goalies who had great season he isn't a stand out.

The Olympics will hold some value even though it shouldn't, not enough to make miller a clear favorite. I think we are going to see super close vote totals when they release them after the awards.

This is why Marty is the best. Except for being hurt, he's been in the running every year. You can pretty much pencil him in for this award next year too. Just look at some of the finalists the past few years: Mason, Lundqvist, Backstrom, Thomas, Nabokov, Kiprusoff, Luongo, etc. Marty is always right there. Only Hasek had this kind of season in/season out brilliance, but it wasn't the 17 year run that Marty has put together. Some people bash him on this board, but we won't realize what we have until he's gone. Even more reason we have to get it together and put together a run as this once in a generation goaltender won't be here forever. There will come a day when we'll have a tremendous team and long for a solid goalie and we'll think back on the "Brodeur Days" and wonder why we only took home 3 Cups in that span. Great job Marty, congratulations on the nomination. We're damn lucky to have you.

Good to see Brodeur get a mention, but Bryzgalov or Miller deserve it this year. Either one could win fairly.

All 3 are worthy, but I think only NJ makes the playoff without Brodeur. Phoenix and Buffalo are out without Bryz or Miller, so I think both are worthy. Then again, this is for the league's top goalie, not an MVP Award. With that said, I'd have to vote for Miller this year.

This is why Marty is the best. Except for being hurt, he's been in the running every year. You can pretty much pencil him in for this award next year too. Just look at some of the finalists the past few years: Mason, Lundqvist, Backstrom, Thomas, Nabokov, Kiprusoff, Luongo, etc. Marty is always right there. Only Hasek had this kind of season in/season out brilliance, but it wasn't the 17 year run that Marty has put together. Some people bash him on this board, but we won't realize what we have until he's gone. Even more reason we have to get it together and put together a run as this once in a generation goaltender won't be here forever. There will come a day when we'll have a tremendous team and long for a solid goalie and we'll think back on the "Brodeur Days" and wonder why we only took home 3 Cups in that span. Great job Marty, congratulations on the nomination. We're damn lucky to have you.

Couldnt have said it any better myself.

Agree with this as well. Just like any other human (wait, Brodeur is human?) he has his ups and downs, but definitely one of the best goaltenders to ever step foot on the ice. Way to go Marty!!! :cheers:

i would say Brodeur wins the Vezina this season. Most games played, most shutouts including the all-time shutout record, most wins this season and the Jennings trophy for least goals allowed in a season.

Bryzgalov I believe deserves the Hart trophy right now. I think he will come in 2nd with Miller being 3rd. It's going to be a tough one between the 3 as all deserve it.

Congrats to Brodeur!

Right on man. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Good to see Brodeur get a mention, but Bryzgalov or Miller deserve it this year. Either one could win fairly.

+1 He had a nice season but Brodeur will be a distant 3rd to these two in the voting. Still, as long as he's playing well enough to get nominated each year, that is all you can ask in the regular season.

THis year will be tough. I think Miller is going to get some non-NHL reason votes, and I think the Yotes were NOWHERE without what Bryzgalov did this year. dontknow.gif

If Brody's GAA was lower I'd be more confident here, but we shall see.