Time for Marty to hang them up

USAkid90

Seriously this is getting annoying..every year it's the same fu****** script.

Marty should really retire..honestly he isn't the goaltender he once was.

As for the coach..well I don't really know..how many times are we gonna replace the guy behind the bench??

sigh..

As for the coach..well I don't really know..how many times are we gonna replace the guy behind the bench??

sigh..

c mon, be serious. He has 2-3 great years left. THe monkey D needs to be replace in front of him. Take a minute and really think of the D corp we had on the cup teams, then look at this one. dont use brodeur as a scape goat.

sigh..

Whats getting annoying is people who check the boxscore and decide that Brodeur has to go. Because clearly you didn't watch this series if you blame Marty. And yet we should keep Lemaire because, well, we replace the coach too often? Well thought out.

Please, please, please tell me what goalie was going to pull 4 wins out of a team scoring 2 goals a game?

he was gone for a huge chunk of the season last year

the team played very well

Yeah, Clemmensen has really kept that magic going.

sigh..

So Brodeur should retire, but we should keep Lemaire as coach? Glad to see you were paying attention to the past week's proceedings. Get this gentleman a cigar.

sigh..

Shut the fvck up and go back to your fvcking Rangers forum, your sh!tty excuse of a hockey team didn't even make the fvcking playoffs.

Shut the fvck up and go back to your fvcking Rangers forum, your sh!tty excuse of a hockey team didn't even make the fvcking playoffs.

WTF are u talking about? First off, I'm not a Rags fan, Second I'm sorry if the truth hurts but Marty has been absolutely terrible in the playoffs the last few years. 7 made a perfect thread about it.

WTF are u talking about? First off, I'm not a Rags fan, Second I'm sorry if the truth hurts but Marty has been absolutely terrible in the playoffs the last few years. 7 made a perfect thread about it.

Do you actually WATCH the games? When you don't score, you don't win! How do you blame Marty when the whole fvckin team, aside from Kovy played like they were skating in exhibition games in September? The issues stem from the coach out. This team has a great nucleus and can build around Parise and Zajac. Changes have to be made but it's hilarious to me how retarded your analysis is. Is Marty the same goaltender from a few years ago, no. But how do you devote a thread to one of the only reasons why we remain competitive EVERY YEAR? Maybe watch some hockey games before you lay blame on one guy. You obviously don't know much about this team.

Then why did you feel a need to make this troll-worthy thread? AGAIN... tell me what goalie would have won this series with an offense that would only put up 8 goals in 5 games?

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Marty has lots left in the tank. For his sake, I hope he finds his way onto a team that can put his skills to use. If it were to be the Devils, they have a lot of other pieces to add. We'll see how much of an egoist he is in the next 3-5 years. I think if he chooses to stay and help the team rebuild, people like 7 and the others will have to at least admit he is not being selfish. He's playing in NJ for a major discount.

BUT... Unless he wins another cup, he will retire with lots of records, but still have to explain his last 5-7 years in the play-offs and his OT record. He'll always wonder if he could have won anything without Stevens and his merry band of bad-ass d-men. If he leaves to go to a contender, he might win another Cup and all of that goes away. Then, we can call him selfish - but not if he stays.

Personally, I still think he might be worth more to us in a trade (if he's willing to go). That's not to say I don't love him, or think he's not the best ever. He is the gold standard of goaltending. Lou would have to be VERY careful trying to move him , because Marty is worth about 10 wins a year, and 3 or 4 thousand STH per year as well.

He's not worth that in the play-offs in my opinion. The game has simply changed too much.

Edited by Motor City Devil

sigh..

The major difference in the series was the defenses in front of the goalies. Seriously, Boucher mostly had clean looks at the shots and when he was spraying rebounds around (especially early in the series) we couldn't get anywhere near them. The second Brodeur leaves a rebound it's in the back of the net. While I've always been critical of Brodeur for giving up some softies, I think you would see a significant difference in his play if we ever go back to having more than 2 NHL calibre defenseman in front of him.

Funny how this thread comes up this year. I would say this was Marty's best playoff in years. This topic is a year too late. Marty was no worse than any of the goalies during these playoffs. You cant stop goals coming from an empty side where a D man should be.

Once you can name 29 goalies better than marty, he should retire.

Start with 10.

Right now, I can name: Luongo, Miller, Lundqvist (yes, that is right and no I am not a Rags fan), Nobokov, Fluery, Ward, Bryzgalov (sp). That may not be 10, but that is 7. All have either won a cup, are winning right now, or have won more games than Marty since 2003.

I know I am going to get hated now by everyone here, but let me also state that 10 years ago, Marty was better than any of these goalies. Fact of the matter is, he was not the reason why we won the cups and why we have been successful in the regular season. Last year proved that this team could win without Marty, so I hope maybe most of you will see this too. It was the defense in front of him that won us those cups, not Marty. Yeah everyone was pissed in 2003 that Giggy won the Conn Symthe, even though Marty got the playoff shutout record, but does anyone think that Marty was better throughout the entire playoffs than Giggy? Did Marty outright steal any games in that playoff year? Not that I can remember. We all love Marty, including I, but we need to stop being so nostalgic and need to face reality. Hockey is not a sport where we can always say "remember when Marty did this..." but instead we must say "what have you done for me lately?" It is a cutthroat sport, but that is all sports. I would love to see Marty play another couple of years in NJ, but after that he should hang them up. What Lou needs to do is to put a defense in front of him with a backbone and then we can start being the team we once were. Teams these days are winning the cup with no-name goalies, and it shows that the most important position in the new NHL are no longer the goalies.