Lamoriello: There’s no question Lemaire will be back as coach

brodeur14301991

Larry and Slava are infinitely "smarter" than Lemaire. or let me correct this not to offend Lemaireophiles... they are infinitely better at translating their "smarts" into results.

is Larry a good head coach? not incredibly so, but at least in his solo tenure he got some results. Lemaire just goes on losing playoff series after playoff series.

here's the post '95 playoff record. 19-31. c'mon.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larry and Slava are infinitely "smarter" than Lemaire. or let me correct this not to offend Lemaireophiles... they are infinitely better at translating their "smarts" into results.

is Larry a good head coach? not incredibly so, but at least in his solo tenure he got some results. Lemaire just goes on losing playoff series after playoff series.

here's the post '95 playoff record. 19-31. c'mon.

Really he crashed and burned in 2006 and had to step down/be fired.

Larry didn't do that well in LA either, I believe making the playoffs zero or 1 time.

He did fine here for a season and a playoff, and he's a great teacher.

Larry didn't do that well in LA either, I believe making the playoffs zero or 1 time.

Absolutely to the part about teaching. Without him, I have no clue how Colin White and Mike Mottau's careers turn out.

But he wasn't fired. He was actually pretty sick.

Edited by devilsrule33

19-31. Tom Renney has a better record. and Lemaire doesn't help himself with his seconds, such as Chris "I steal bathing suits" Nilan and Mario Tremblay, who he's singlehandedly been keeping employed.

Lou is delusional. The game has passed him by and he can't see it.

Whatever. I'll see what he does in the offseason, but I'd like to see three lines that can potentially score, and 6 guys on Defense who can play the puck. Maybe Lemaire will do a better job with guys who aren't terrified of fore-checkers.

19-31. Tom Renney has a better record. and Lemaire doesn't help himself with his seconds, such as Chris "I steal bathing suits" Nilan and Mario Tremblay, who he's singlehandedly been keeping employed.

Tom Renney? He's 11-13 - hardly bowling over anyone. Should we hire Bob Hartley? Laviolette has missed the playoffs half the time's been a coach.

Coaching DOESN'T matter all that much. I don't get some of you guys who think coaches are so important. It's the players that make up the team.

ADD: The players play. Most of the teams operate in pretty much the same manner anyway.

If you really think this team had what it takes, you're delusional.

Edited by HellOnICE

Tom Renney? He's 11-13 - hardly bowling over anyone. Should we hire Bob Hartley? Laviolette has missed the playoffs half the time's been a coach.

Coaching DOESN'T matter all that much. I don't get some of you guys who think coaches are so important. It's the players that make up the team.

ADD: The players play. Most of the teams operate in pretty much the same manner anyway.

If you really think this team had what it takes, you're delusional.

I think if they weren't playing a stretch system (with their only two puck movers on the same pairing), they might have fared a tad bit better than that. it didn't suit their roster, so of course they fell flat on their face in the second half of the season.

hey, I don't think we're going anywhere next season, so, by all means, repeat it and see how it works out. maybe we'll get that tank season we so sorely need.

Lemaire is a mediocre coach with a sh!tty playoff record. giving him another year is just throwing that year away.

Should we be worrying about the coach? He is a big part of a team but he isn't the one playing the game. Just sayin...

I agree. I honestly don't think he had the players that could beat the Flyers. That team was made to beat the Devils. I mean White was being used in front of the net again. The Last time Lemaire did that was before the Kovalchuk trade, when the Devils just started struggling. He didn't have the guys that could put that scrappy game right back in the flyer's faces. The Devils were too much of a "nice guy" team. But I do think this Devil's team could have gone far if they didn't meet the Flyers in the Playoffs, but oh well, we'll never know.

The 2010-11 Devils will essentially be the same team we saw this year minus Kovalchuk.

So Lou is adamant about bringing back Lemaire and says Langenbrunner is a good captain. As others have posted, the game is passing Lou by but he is so stubborn that he refuses to believe it. But, his comments don't shock me. He said the same sh*t after last year's first round ouster, and the same exact thing the year before that.

These quotes by Lou say it all...

"I am certainly happy with the job Jacques has done. And I'm not unhappy with the effort put in."

"I have no questions on leadership or our captaincy."

"I certainly believe in this team. I never doubted the abilities we have. Is this team playoff built? No question in my mind."

The 2010-11 Devils will essentially be the same team we saw this year minus Kovalchuk.

So Lou is adamant about bringing back Lemaire and says Langenbrunner is a good captain. As others have posted, the game is passing Lou by but he is so stubborn that he refuses to believe it. But, his comments don't shock me. He said the same sh*t after last year's first round ouster, and the same exact thing the year before that.

These quotes by Lou say it all...

"I am certainly happy with the job Jacques has done. And I'm not unhappy with the effort put in."

"I have no questions on leadership or our captaincy."

"I certainly believe in this team. I never doubted the abilities we have. Is this team playoff built? No question in my mind."

Yea it'll essentially be the same team based off those quotes....Because Lou's always been on to be like "IM GOING TO DO X,Y,Z"

Yea it'll essentially be the same team based off those quotes....Because Lou's always been on to be like "IM GOING TO DO X,Y,Z"

No it'll essentially be the same team because he can't move cap-eaters like Brian Rolston and will likely fail to get a necessary defenseman. The quotes I listed had nothing to do with changing the roster. I was posting them to illustrate how out of touch Lou sounds, coming on the heels of the team's third straight playoff loss in the first-round.

But, apparently you missed that...

Larry said exactly the same thing about this team Lemaire did: You tell them - they understand - they do nothing. It drove Larry to tears - literally, and in front of the press - he said the team was killing him with the inexplicable play - you run the practice and they're there, you talk in the locker room and they're completely present -- they get on ice and .. :unsure: where are they? All they have to say for themselves is "yeah, boy, we don't know boss - you told us good and we just didn't do it"

Larry cried.

Julien said "Well that's OK boys keep doing your best"

Sutter said "Dagnab flammer riggin f#^&*$%@^&*&$& flabdangit!.... MAAAAAAAAAAAmmy!!! I wanna come home!!!!"

Lemaire says"You ask and I tell you. This is what it is - that's it. Nothing more to say, nothing more to it."

I'm telling you all right now probably not for the last time: They need a continually new hit of something to keep the message fresh in their heads. Lemaire can say somethign fresh that gives them a winning rush and they perform -- he, AS EVERY OTHER COACH THAT'S BEEN THROUGH HERE AND EVERY COACH YET TO COME IF THAT'S THE WAY LOU PLAYS IT, was too egotistical - he thought what he came up with was enough -- that it was the missing peice. But it's not - the missing piece is having several FRESH iterations of the same message. It's not getting the men to accept the Kool Ade - they ALL, these coaches, think that's the obstacle - once they see some success, they think they can build on it - but there comes a time that it falls flat - all of it - and the coach can't see because he's too immersed, cares about the guys feels a part of the team, can't tell if he's got allies or foes - it's all just on top of him and he says stuff and the guys all of a sudden must seem like stepford wives smiling and doing their drills and spewing sound bytes and there's nothing behind it all - all the lessons learned all the winning - it all turns into fiction and you're just this useless talking head - who knows feelings of betrayal are useless and anger is just bounced off of hollow contrition - and no negativity or animosity can be pinpointed ANYWHERE! Listen to them people - LISTEN to what they've ALL said. Are you not, or are you just conveniently forgetting?

You tell what coach can handle that....besides Pat Burns who really doesn't give a fvck about ANYTHING but hockey. You'll get no bewildered "Don't you love hockey?" from Pat -- You'll get a BIG fvck you -- You can dislike him or love him -- but you MUST love and respect hockey or you're out - you're beyond out. there's no sharing or caring going on - there's no solidarity in hockey -- there is ONLY HOCKEY.

No one thinks like that but Pat :evil: What a treasure hockey has there - there's probably a Dad or two somewhere who's got the same gift but just doesn't have the confidence. I know of no one coaching who's got that though :noclue:

Edited by Pepperkorn

Apprently I missed where you take the quote and go "this will be the same team."

Explain to me why he'll likely fail and explain to me WHO is the defenseman they should get. Enlighten me.

I don't see why it's impossible to move Rolston. Some team will take a chance on him, even if we have to sweeten the pot and get raped in the deal. It's worth it to cover that mistake.

Lou has always given the same quotes, no matter the situation win or lose. He always steps, back, reflects and yadadadada. We know.

A guy who throws a jar across a lockeroom isn't going to do nothing.

In the interim, you don't throw people under the bus the day after the loss. He's not a fan, he's the leader of the organization. Let the rumbling go on behind close doors, I don't need to see it until he pulls the trigger on a roster move (See the Sykora trade, the Arnott trade, and so on)

I am very happy about this. Unlike everyone else on this board. I still believe in Lemaire and love his coaching. Of course there are things I wish he did differently, as with all coaches. But he really is the smartest coach and has taught players so much already. And if everyone is still on Kovalchuks balls, after the other game he did say the entire team still trusts Lemaire. So a recap, Lou loves Kovalchuk, both Lou and Kovalchuk like Lemaire, and Lemaire doesn't question Langenbrunners leadership. Somewhere you'd have to break your trust with someone if you don't believe that. Anyone calling for Lou's head is probably the worst hockey fan ever.

I believe in Lemaire. Like I posted somewhere else earlier, people forget that it takes more than a year for a coach to get things going and get his system in place. We fans have been too inpatient with Lemaire. He is not just gonna come back in and resume where he left off 10 yearss ago. We gave him one year and then one bad exit and it's off with his head. Yes we've exited early from the playoffs for a few straight years but Lemaire only has one to his credit. Bring him back...good we don't have to change coaches once again.

I wonder if Lemaire thought Jamie was the poison you all seem to suspect MUST be in the locker room. Lemaire took action, but he saw it was ineffectual and the pause Lemaire took before deciding it was too damaging to single out one guy - the Captain - was all it took to kill any hope he had of salvaging things - the fear and desperation was smelled and the team had carte blange to fail in the first round.

That hasty retreat made by the coaching staff was all it took - no, Lemiare needed to call him out - right out and not back down --- and even then it would just be a set up for next season.

and no one... NO ONE will tell me Lemaire will not learn from this. msweet -- you're a virgo too aren't you? think about it - what do you think? I mean this as an honest question -- do you think Jacques realizes he's got to be a prick beyond all pricks coming into next season? Do you think he'll be able to resist the challenge to fix this HUGE MONUMENTAL mess? If I have a sense of this I think he MUST. and he's got a Sumer to plan .... I wonder wonder wonder if it will strengthen his resolve or if it will all mellow and we'll be back to square one. Can he mess things up SOOOO much in the first half that the guys get their timing back and pick it up in the second juuuust enough to hit their stride come playoffs where they come in 5th seed at best?

Pepperkorn, can you translate that monstrosity of a post please. I have no idea what you're saying. Maybe I'm too tired.

Man, I really don't think I can.

All coaches are saying the same thing about this team - it's looks and sounds and feels like a perfect team. They are committed, knowledgeable, hard-working, smart, respectful, selfless - they appear perfect. But it's hollow. When the time comes to act - nothing happens - when you put your foot on the gas you find the car is not in gear - it's neutral all the way. You as a coach are just fvcked. You run a diagnostic and there's nothing wrong, she should be purring like a kitten. Get the car on the road -- and still you get nothing.

I'm saying Larry Robinson was reduced to a pansyassed crying baby IN FRONT OF THE WORLD LITERALLY CRYING!! saying the team was forcing him into an early grave and you all want him BACK?!?!?!?! Sutter again LITERALLY ran back to his mommy!!! How can you all forget?

so, which part was wrong? go look up his playoff record since '95. even the year they went three rounds, he finished 2 games under .500

Here it is:

http://www.hockey-re...lemaija01c.html

Unless Larry is planning to reapply for the coaching job, I don't understand the point of even bringing him into the discussion.

I agree maxpower, not a great record. All those rings came from being a player, only one as a coach after all those years.

I can't blame JL entirely for this last meltdown, although I'd like to. It's a mix of players tuning out the coach, and the coach not communicating with the players. He didn't know that Jamie was upset and talking to the media re being sat (per TG) (although I'm not excusing Jamie's hissy fit) , he's "good with young players" (talk to Bergfors about that), the line shuffling is beyond belief, and he needs a 6-month nap. On NHL Network the talking heads brought up what JL said," I asked de guy why he didn't do what we told him and no answer." Conclusion is that JL lost the players, they tuned him out. I think the players just looked lost and confused out there. But the same core of vets has also lost since 2004, so something needs to change--bigtime. I vote for youth all around--players AND coaches .

Or they are going to chalk it up to just an unlucky first round match-up, puck luck, bad bounces, players tired due to the Olympics and you'll see largely the same cast of characters, minus Kovalchuk, next season.

As sick as it makes me, I agree.

It is interesting the PK brings up Burns. Burns is an interesting case as a coach because he had a shelf life, everywhere he went about 3 years after it went bad. He ran his teams on the ragged edge all the time and eventually they tired of it.

Where Burns was a genius wasnt in motivation, it was tactics. That man has an uncanny gift to understand what he has with a roster and tailor the teams style of play to one that best fits its strengths and weaknesses. Beyond this, Burns would actively dictate the terms of play to the other coach, whether it be quick adjustments to the team's style, or by owning the matchup game. His tactical mind for the game is almost unmatched.

I bring this up because that point is where Jacques failed this team miserably. He implemented his system on day 1, here we are in April and it did not change once. Why is this important? Look at what the Flyers team to shut down the Devils. Starting on the forecheck, they and the rest of the league knew that the Devils either looked for the stretch pass, or just used the wing. So what happens to the devils in their own end? On a shift where the flyers are not changing and the turnover happens low in the devils zone. The Flyers apply pressure on the d man with the puck and they took away his time and space to make the long pass. After that they used the center high in the slot reading the play, he would either engage the Devil's winger who was the intended recipient of the pass, or fall back to cover for the defenseman pinching. In a simple read play they flyers took away the Devils ability to cleanly leave their defensive end.

Now what did Jacques do about this? Nothing, he refused to further engage his own center in the breakout. All he would do is have his d reverse the play to the d man's partner. Hoping that they would catch the flyers overcommitment to one side of the ice. The problem with this? It allows the flyers to regroup and then take away the neutral zone. They had 3 men back almost constantly in games 3/4 taking away the blueline from the Devils and refusing to allow them to carry the puck in the zone.

Now this is just one example of something the Flyers would do to take advantage of the Devil's tendencies, there are others as well, namely the special teams play.

So we are left to ask, why does this happen? Were the personel in question so limited as to prevent Jacques from doing anything differently? While there is an argument to be made there with regards to the breakout I do not put much credability behind it, 3 of the 4 centers(im looking at you Niedermayer) had no problem carrying the puck in transition, but they wouldnt touch the puck till well into the neutral zone.

The power play and penalty killing played right into the flyer's hands without a single change. fvcking around with 2 men at the point while the flyers press hard with 2 men leaves gaps somewhere. Over the course of the entire series they looked for a down low play exactly once, the 4 on 3 in game 2. Did it result in a goal? No, but at least it generated chances to score.

In summary, I will completely disagree with those that discount the influence of a coach throughout a series. Beyond motivation he needs to read and react to the game as it unfolds in front of him, He has to put his players into a position where they can win. Jacques has failed to do so for months now.

Someone above said that coaches need multiple years to implement a system? This isnt college football, I do not buy that for a moment. These guys are hired to make the best with what they have, the GM provides the coach with a set of tools and it is up to the coach to find the way to best use them. While hockey moves fast and requires a degree of mental capacity to play, it isnt rocket science, and these many of the players have been exposed to a variety of styles over their careers. If they cant figure out a new system within 15 games something is very wrong.

Edited by Sarge18

the main problem with our breakout wasn't the pressure, it was basically 5 out of the 8 defensemen on the roster couldn't make a 5 foot pass, let alone a 50+ foot pass, even if there was no opponent on the ice. and most of the same suspects are slow as sh!t, so the reversal just traps them worse.

it was just horribly suited for the roster.

I agree. I honestly don't think he had the players that could beat the Flyers. That team was made to beat the Devils. I mean White was being used in front of the net again. The Last time Lemaire did that was before the Kovalchuk trade, when the Devils just started struggling. He didn't have the guys that could put that scrappy game right back in the flyer's faces. The Devils were too much of a "nice guy" team. But I do think this Devil's team could have gone far if they didn't meet the Flyers in the Playoffs, but oh well, we'll never know.

Wait... didnt have the team?? But he had the team that could go 9 - 1 against the Caps, and the Penguins?? And now watch either one of those 2 teams beat down the Flyers rather easily. I dont want to hear we didnt have the team. We may not have had enough to win the cup but we certainly had the horses to beat the FLyers. This team is talented enough, but for some reason they quit on JL, whether it be a locker room thing or whatever, they are soft and heartless, but not lacking in talent.