Jacques Lemaire Retires

njdevil26

Lou is not the problem here LD.

I wish I could believe you but he has been terrible since the lockout. He has made so many bad moves since the lockout. I am sorry it has to lay on his door step. He hires the coaches. He allows Marty to decide all. He offers the worst contracts. He can't sign a UFA that we should have kept. He has over paid and offer contracts that are too long to players that don't deserve what he offers. He is over the hill.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha you always make me laugh...you want to put the whole team in the garbage...Lou,JL,Brodeur etc etc haha even if I agree with you on JL I still don't agree with the fact that Lou should leave.We have one of the best GM's in the league if not the best and you will know it when he retires.

I never picked on JL not once, I would rather have him than Johnny Mac yesterday, tomorrow and in the future.

LMAO. All of sudden LOU is the problem???? It was bad coaching plain and simple.

Langs, Rolston & Martin will no doubt stay.

Pando, Kovy, Peters, Special Nieds are all expendible.

Lou is on top it's his problem. The Devils haven't had a defense in 4 years in the playoffs, the goalie Marty Brodeur has lost 3 of the past 4 years in the playoffs; not this year. Who do you think is the problem 23 players in a conspiracy? I don't think so. How many coaches?

regarding langenbrunner - i've always thought he was a bit childish and sort of questioned the C in the first place but he clearly had enough respect in the room that the other players bought into him and he was captain of team USA.

sure he could've handled the lemaire thing better but to say he's a cancer is a bit much.

i'm 100% behind exploring what we can get for him but I'm not 100% for trading him no matter what.

as for the next coach, what is imperative is that the devils try to find someone who isn't coming in with a short expected shelf life like lemaire did. best case scenario, JL was here for 2 years. that was warming the bench for maclean. at this point, give it to him with capable assistants (stevens would be one good one for his history and attitude - i'd look to an older coach that has experience to work with them).

the next guy has to be young enough to not want to "retire" after 1 or 2 years and be given the chance to have at least a 3 year career here.

Lou is on top it's his problem. The Devils haven't had a defense in 4 years in the playoffs, the goalie Marty Brodeur has lost 3 of the past 4 years in the playoffs; not this year. Who do you think is the problem 23 players in a conspiracy? I don't think so. How many coaches?

Obviously his problem to fix but he is not the cause nor 100% to blame.

It's tough with this postseason's shortcomings so fresh in our minds, but I've gotta give a big thanks to Jacques here.

There are a handful of guys that, without them, the Devils never become "The Devils." Lou is one of them. Marty and Stevens are two more. And Jacques Lemaire is definitely another.

Lemaire brought the ineffable system. That system has become the Devils trademark (and arguably a stereotype). Without it, there is no way in hell that team in '95 sweeps the Wings. Without that sweep, who knows if this team even stays in New Jersey. But they swept and they stayed. And even after Lemaire left, his system stayed and three more Cup Finals berths and two more championships followed.

The system now looks outdated, and apparently so is Jacques. He came back for a swan song and, at times, this past season was pretty awesome, but it didn't end well. Lemaire has now taken his leave. Perhaps his system will too. That much remains to be seen, but this much is certain: We all owe Lemaire a big thanks.

So thank you, Coach. Best of luck to ya!

Trading Langenbrunner will cause more questions and distractions than it will solve IMO. I don't think he is anywhere near the "cancer" that you guys are making him out to be. I also don't think he "quit on the team" like you guys. He was just one of just about everyone on the team who SUCKED in the playoffs this year. He will still be a leader on the team next year whether you guys like it or not (whether or not he is the captain is a different story, he may be ready to step down from that). He is not going anywhere.

Rolston and Pandolfo (and possibly White, but I'm back-and-forth on that one) really should be dealt. Not because they're not useful players, just because they're salaries are ridiculous and the Devils need the cap space. But, I think we all know that chances are they are not going anywhere.

Thanks for the memories, wish you could have left on top. Good luck, and be well Jacques.

Lots of other guys that I'd like to see leave as well... As stated above (Pando, Neids, MacAmmond, Peters - even Langs)

I agree. This was a solid team, before the Kovy trade. We were 30-10 at one point. The coach lost the team and the players lost their way.

We changed for the worse after getting Kovy as everyone altered their play to defer to Kovy and became the New Jersey Thrashers.

Amnesia sucks!!!

We were 9-10-1 in the 20 games before Kovalchuk got to NJ!!

Get it in your head already...the team already svcked....that some love being blind and talk about turning points all year long is another thing

Edited by cubanjd305

It's tough with this postseason's shortcomings so fresh in our minds, but I've gotta give a big thanks to Jacques here.

There are a handful of guys that, without them, the Devils never become "The Devils." Lou is one of them. Marty and Stevens are two more. And Jacques Lemaire is definitely another.

Lemaire brought the ineffable system. That system has become the Devils trademark (and arguably a stereotype). Without it, there is no way in hell that team in '95 sweeps the Wings. Without that sweep, who knows if this team even stays in New Jersey. But they swept and they stayed. And even after Lemaire left, his system stayed and three more Cup Finals berths and two more championships followed.

The system now looks outdated, and apparently so is Jacques. He came back for a swan song and, at times, this past season was pretty awesome, but it didn't end well. Lemaire has now taken his leave. Perhaps his system will too. That much remains to be seen, but this much is certain: We all owe Lemaire a big thanks.

So thank you, Coach. Best of luck to ya!

Can't agree more. Haven't posted in years but the disrespect being shown this man is shocking. Jacques is one of a handful of people that brought the Devils to NHL prominence. (His name is also on the Stanley Cup 11 times.) 95 would not have happened without him and as the poster said this team could have easliy been the Nashville Devils. Another cup or two could have easily happened on his watch---but is was on his watch that the expectations for excellence year in and year out took hold. Best of luck coach and thanks for the memories.

Possible coaches I would like to see coach the Devils next season OUTSIDE the organization...

1.Mike Haviland, Chicago assistant coach: Haviland, who will be 43 this summer, is a Middletown native and a former Devils’ supplemental draft pick. He’s been an assistant for the last two seasons with the Blackhawks. Before that, he spent three seasons as the head coach of the Blackhawks’ AHL affliate and four seasons as a head coach in the ECHL with Trenton (one) and Atlantic City (three), winning two ECHL championships. Although I think bringing in a young, up-and-coming coach like Haviland would be a great idea, Lamoriello might be looking for a more experienced NHL head coach for this group of underachievers.

2.Guy Carbonneau, former Montreal head coach: Carobonneau was considered a candidate last summer, but nothing ever came of it as Lemaire was the early frontrunner. The Devils have always like the Canadiens’ connection and Carbonneau did have success with the Habs in 2007-08, but before getting fired in 2008-09. He still has one year left on his contract with the Canadiens. Spent this season as an analyst for Hockey Night in Canada before coaching Team Canada to a seventh-place finish at the Under-18 World Championships in Belarus earlier this month. Carbonneau was teammates with Langenbrunner in Dallas, so that might be a plus if Lamoriello is looking to get his captain on board with the hiring.

3.Guy Boucher, Hamilton head coach: Voted the AHL’s coach of year for his work with the Canadiens’ affiliate. Also considered a candidate for the Blue Jackets’ job. The Canadiens’ pedigree is always a lure for Lamoriello, but the 38-year-old Boucher is very green. He has only one year of AHL head coaching experience under his belt and doesn’t appear to be the fit for a team looking to win now.

TG has more listed in an article from today...these are the three coaches I would like to see. No to Hitchcock, Dineen, hartley and Stevens. Renney maybe.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/who_will_be_the_devils_next_head_coach/

Edited by SatansDevils

Trading Langenbrunner will cause more questions and distractions than it will solve IMO. I don't think he is anywhere near the "cancer" that you guys are making him out to be. I also don't think he "quit on the team" like you guys. He was just one of just about everyone on the team who SUCKED in the playoffs this year. He will still be a leader on the team next year whether you guys like it or not (whether or not he is the captain is a different story, he may be ready to step down from that). He is not going anywhere.

Rolston and Pandolfo (and possibly White, but I'm back-and-forth on that one) really should be dealt. Not because they're not useful players, just because they're salaries are ridiculous and the Devils need the cap space. But, I think we all know that chances are they are not going anywhere.

Ok,so im willing to deal with some problems concerning Langenbrunner,i mean it's not like weve been thru these same problems before but get Jamie's ass out of here....

Oh well get Jamie's ass out of here,he's been a cancer.

Guy Boucher, Hamilton head coach: Voted the AHL’s coach of year for his work with the Canadiens’ affiliate. Also considered a candidate for the Blue Jackets’ job. The Canadiens’ pedigree is always a lure for Lamoriello, but the 38-year-old Boucher is very green. He has only one year of AHL head coaching experience under his belt and doesn’t appear to be the fit for a team looking to win now.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/who_will_be_the_devils_next_head_coach/

Out of this list Boucher get's my pick but would the players respect a coach that is almost the same age as them?

I have nothing to say for my feelings -- but this is bothering me more and more as time passes.

It's just bugging me a lot and - you know I have nothing to say about it -- just, it's not merely niggling, it's really bothering me on some level I'm not really understanding. :angry:

Ditto. I was not happy with a lot of things Lemaire did but something doesn't feel right about this whole situation.

Ok, I apologize if this has already been posted. But I grabbed this quick post (April 26) from Michael Russo of the Star Tribune in Minneapolis. Here's what he had to say.

"As an update, the New Jersey Devils have reported Jacques Lemaire retired and will stay with the organization.

Jacques made very clear the other day he still loved coaching and wanted to continue coaching the Devils. Now he's not a few days later? Weird. It was reported after Game 5 that Devils GM Lou Lamoriello chewed out the coaches and smashed a bottle of jelly on the dressing-room wall in Philly. So obviously something happened behind the scenes after the season was over."

Here's the url to the story:

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/57299562.html

Adds intrigue I'll give you that.

Ditto. I was not happy with a lot of things Lemaire did but something doesn't feel right about this whole situation.

Well because only the coach has taken the fall as of yet...but give it time. The players are next and are already running for cover as we speak :P

Think about it, Lou's not going to let the players slide after getting a respected friend of 20 years forced into retirement. Just look at 2002, when the players got Larry Robinson (another person liked and respected by Lou) fired, that was the year Arnott and Sykora got traded, others were shown the door. and that was after two Finals appearances. I see a similar housecleaning this offseason.

Here's the url to the story:

http://www.startribu...s/57299562.html

Adds intrigue I'll give you that.

Hah, a nine-year old would have made that connection. Even Brett Favre doesn't flip-flop that fast. Although the guy was slightly off about the jelly incident, it was after Game 4.

Edited by Hasan4978

Well because only the coach has taken the fall as of yet...but give it time. The players are next and are already running for cover as we speak :P

Think about it, Lou's not going to let the players slide after getting a respected friend of 20 years forced into retirement. Just look at 2002, when the players got Larry Robinson (another person liked and respected by Lou) fired, that was the year Arnott and Sykora got traded, others were shown the door. and that was after two Finals appearances. I see a similar housecleaning this offseason.

I really hope Lou hasn't gone soft. Lou needs to make some serious changes like he did in 2002, but the cap and all these NTC/NMC add a whole new barrier to accomplishing this.

Most GMs would flat out say changes are coming after 3 straight first round losses but that isn't going to happen with Lou. Just going to have to wait.

I really hope Lou hasn't gone soft. Lou needs to make some serious changes like he did in 2002, but the cap and all these NTC/NMC add a whole new barrier to accomplishing this.

Most GMs would flat out say changes are coming after 3 straight first round losses but that isn't going to happen with Lou. Just going to have to wait.

Lou is going to make changes NTC's or not. He's not however, going to rebuild the team in players or philosophy. A couple player changes and a new head coach, that's it.

Edited by ben00rs

Dumping Rolston would be tricky...maybe a contender will want him but I doubt it. A crappy team might want him to hit the salary floor but he'd never waive his no-trade to go there unless Lou and Vanderbeek (he'd have to okay it since it's $10 million on the line) got really tough and threatened to banish him to Albany.

The NTC isn't really a hinderance for the other guys though, the only difference is you just can't banish Langenbrunner to Edmonton the way he really deserves after the crap he pulled this year :rant:

I really don't think Lou will go soft though, not after the jelly-throwing incident. I believe he's had enough...I just hope we have philosophical as well as personnel changes.

The NTC isn't really a hinderance for the other guys though, the only difference is you just can't banish Langenbrunner to Edmonton the way he really deserves after the crap he pulled this year :rant:

Calgary?? :evil:

Calgary?? :evil:

Hey it's freaking Shangri-La out there, we don't know what we're missing...Brent says so :lol:

It'd really be funny if he went there and then the Sutters got fired like a month into next season (I'm not sure why they haven't been canned yet to be honest).

Edited by Hasan4978