New COACH THREAD!

HellOnICE

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've made it known that I have been a Johnny Mac supporter for a while. I wanted him to be the head coach last season, but thought the idea of him going to Lowell for a year or two until Lemaire's contract ended (or retired) was not a bad idea. A lot of people last year didn't like the idea of MacLean because they saw him running the bench in 2006 and 2007 to sub par results. But isn't it interesting now when you think about it that the 2006 and 2007 Devils have been the most successful teams post lockout. Both teams made it out of the 2nd round before being bounced to teams representing the East in the Stanley Cup Finals, while the next 3 teams all got eliminated in the first round. And barring some ridiculous run by Philly, none of those teams will be getting very close to the Finals or winning the Cup like the 2006 Canes team did. It is also worth noting that the 2009 and 2010 Devils teams were much superior to the 2006 and 2007 team.

Just some food for thought.

Edited by devilsrule33

As the guy who started pushing Haviland's name last year, of course I want to see the 2005 Kelly Cup champion coach here.

Ask any of the ole Trenton Titans fans here, I'm sure they'll tell you too.

Come home Havi

And 2003, with AC, taking a team that was on its' way out of town to a title.

I frankly don't know enough about the available assistants/minor/etc. coaches, but I will say that I will be nervous until Lou announces the new coach or Ken Hitchcock gets another job. No defence-first retreads. We need to get an attacking coach and the personnel to play it properly.

Haviland Coaching Career

Coaching [notes]

Season Team Lge Type GP W L T OTL Pct Result

1999-00 Trenton Titans ECHL Assistant

2000-01 Trenton Titans ECHL Assistant

2001-02 Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullie ECHL Head 72 42 22 0 8 0.639 Lost in round 4

2002-03 Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullie ECHL Head 72 41 19 0 12 0.653 Won Championship

2003-04 Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullie ECHL Head 72 47 19 0 6 0.694 Lost in round 1

2004-05 Trenton Titans ECHL Head 72 42 21 0 9 0.646 Won Championship

2005-06 Norfolk Admirals AHL Head 80 43 29 0 8 0.588 Lost in round 1

2006-07 Norfolk Admirals AHL Head 80 50 22 0 8 0.675 Lost in round 1

2007-08 Rockford IceHogs AHL Head 80 44 26 0 10 0.613 Lost in round 2

2008-09 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Assistant

2009-10 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Assistant

Edited by hattrick

Ok so I'm watching Habs vs Caps on RDS and they told between the periods that Devils are looking to sign Guy Boucher.

Guy Boucher (Hamilton Buldogs)>>>>>>>>>51-17-10 112 Points and Best coach of the year in AHL.

Edited by SS-SS

Haviland Coaching Career

Coaching [notes]

Season Team Lge Type GP W L T OTL Pct Result

1999-00 Trenton Titans ECHL Assistant

2000-01 Trenton Titans ECHL Assistant

2001-02 Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullie ECHL Head 72 42 22 0 8 0.639 Lost in round 4

2002-03 Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullie ECHL Head 72 41 19 0 12 0.653 Won Championship

2003-04 Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullie ECHL Head 72 47 19 0 6 0.694 Lost in round 1

2004-05 Trenton Titans ECHL Head 72 42 21 0 9 0.646 Won Championship

2005-06 Norfolk Admirals AHL Head 80 43 29 0 8 0.588 Lost in round 1

2006-07 Norfolk Admirals AHL Head 80 50 22 0 8 0.675 Lost in round 1

2007-08 Rockford IceHogs AHL Head 80 44 26 0 10 0.613 Lost in round 2

2008-09 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Assistant

2009-10 Chicago Blackhawks NHL Assistant

What he accomplished at Norfolk was maybe his best work.

To answer the next question Davis Payne the new coach of the Blues lost to the Titans in the 04-05 conf finals.

Here's the list:

Former ECHL coaches working as head coaches in the NHL are Scott Gordon of the New York Islanders and Bruce Boudreau of the Washington Capitals while former ECHL player Dan Bylsma is head coach of the Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins. Boudreau, who coached Mississippi for three seasons winning the Kelly Cup championship in 1999, was named NHL Coach of the Year in 2007-08 becoming the first former ECHL coach to receive the award. There are 18 assistant coaches in the NHL who were players or coaches in the ECHL.
Edited by titans04

Ok so I'm watching Habs vs Caps on RDS and they told between the periods that Devils are looking to sign Guy Boucher.

Guy Boucher (Hamilton Buldogs)>>>>>>>>>51-17-10 112 Points and Best coach of the year in AHL.

And he was a rookie coach in the A this year too. Looking at what this guy has done, he's a fantastic power play guy. He had a lot of success in the Q as well. Boucher is certainly a guy whose hiring I would welcome.

Hey maybe Lindy Ruff will be available now...

If Buffalo's fool enough to can him the way Dallas did Tippet last year I hope we don't let the home run pick go by twice. I mean they overachieved as is, had the lead in Game 2 being up 1-0 in the series then Vanek got a high ankle sprain and they were screwed the rest of the series.

Edited by NJDevs26

And he was a rookie coach in the A this year too. Looking at what this guy has done, he's a fantastic power play guy. He had a lot of success in the Q as well. Boucher is certainly a guy whose hiring I would welcome.

I say Lou have to go for one of these 3 guys: Guy Boucher,Haviland or Maclean

Listening to Dano as a commentator I liked the way he thinks, I would love to see him and Stevens behind the bench as assistant coaches with Johnny Mac as head coach I believe it is his time also.

Just watching Dano & Stevens energy would be worth the price of admission. I would hate to be a defenseman giving up the puck in our end next year having to answer to Dano and Stevens.

Listening to Dano as a commentator I liked the way he thinks, I would love to see him and Stevens behind the bench as assistant coaches with Johnny Mac as head coach I believe it is his time also.

Just watching Dano & Stevens energy would be worth the price of admission. I would hate to be a defenseman giving up the puck in our end next year having to answer to Dano and Stevens.

Maybe if some of our defense played with the tenacity of a Stevens or Daneyko we wouldn't be so soft

Possible coaches I would like to see coach the Devils next season OUTSIDE the organization...

1.Mike Haviland, Chicago assistant coach: Haviland, who will be 43 this summer, is a Middletown native and a former Devils’ supplemental draft pick. He’s been an assistant for the last two seasons with the Blackhawks. Before that, he spent three seasons as the head coach of the Blackhawks’ AHL affliate and four seasons as a head coach in the ECHL with Trenton (one) and Atlantic City (three), winning two ECHL championships. Although I think bringing in a young, up-and-coming coach like Haviland would be a great idea, Lamoriello might be looking for a more experienced NHL head coach for this group of underachievers.

2.Guy Carbonneau, former Montreal head coach: Carobonneau was considered a candidate last summer, but nothing ever came of it as Lemaire was the early frontrunner. The Devils have always like the Canadiens’ connection and Carbonneau did have success with the Habs in 2007-08, but before getting fired in 2008-09. He still has one year left on his contract with the Canadiens. Spent this season as an analyst for Hockey Night in Canada before coaching Team Canada to a seventh-place finish at the Under-18 World Championships in Belarus earlier this month. Carbonneau was teammates with Langenbrunner in Dallas, so that might be a plus if Lamoriello is looking to get his captain on board with the hiring.

3.Guy Boucher, Hamilton head coach: Voted the AHL’s coach of year for his work with the Canadiens’ affiliate. Also considered a candidate for the Blue Jackets’ job. The Canadiens’ pedigree is always a lure for Lamoriello, but the 38-year-old Boucher is very green. He has only one year of AHL head coaching experience under his belt and doesn’t appear to be the fit for a team looking to win now.

TG has more listed in an article from today...these are the three coaches I would like to see. No to Hitchcock, Dineen, hartley and Stevens. Renney maybe.

http://blogs.northje...ext_head_coach/