Ian Laperriere has brain contusion/concussion

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5140977

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_contusion

Sad news. He was great for the Flyers in this series and was primed to have a great playoffs.

(I hope this remains classy, watching the games I had a lot of respect for what he was doing out there, the Flyers PK was key to their winning.)

The Flyers will be without Lapperriere, Carter, and Gagne... Tough to beat Boston or especially Washington without those guys.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5140977

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_contusion

Sad news. He was great for the Flyers in this series and was primed to have a great playoffs.

(I hope this remains classy, watching the games I had a lot of respect for what he was doing out there, the Flyers PK was key to their winning.)

The Flyers will be without Lapperriere, Carter, and Gagne... Tough to beat Boston or especially Washington without those guys.

yep, he took a brain bruise to stop a puck. we couldn't even be bothered to lift someone's stick. :lol: real surprise we lost, huh?

yep, he took a brain bruise to stop a puck. we couldn't even be bothered to lift someone's stick. :lol: real surprise we lost, huh?

This sentence sums it up perfectly. Gotta respect a guy willing to put his body on the line, no matter what colors he wears. Never wanna see a guy get hurt like this, hope he gets well soon.

I am shocked that the NHL has not yet mandated that every player wear a visor. And I'm more shocked that more players don't wear them.

All the best to Laperriere.

+1

I just read elsewhere that Poti is out for game 7 for taking a puck in the face too.

This sentence sums it up perfectly. Gotta respect a guy willing to put his body on the line, no matter what colors he wears. Never wanna see a guy get hurt like this, hope he gets well soon.

or a guy putting his brain and sight on the line.

Edited by ben00rs

I hate the Flyers so much, but you never want to see this happen to a guy who was simply working hard, even if he was the opponent. A guy who was willing to give up his body for his team is what winning hockey is all about. Lots of respect for Laperriere.

Even crazier, he took a puck to the face earlier this season, too. So even after that, he wasn't too gun shy to do it again. What a tough mofo.

I love how the first question he asked was "Is my eye still there?" He was all about block the puck first and deal with the consequences later. Mad respect.

I hate the Flyers so much, but you never want to see this happen to a guy who was simply working hard, even if he was the opponent. A guy who was willing to give up his body for his team is what winning hockey is all about. Lots of respect for Laperriere.

you know i typically hate the flyers, but i actually like that scrappy team that whipped the devils...

yeah hope lapperiere is OK...what a nasty thing that was.

Didn't Lapperiere block one with his face earlier in the season as well? I don't know it was with his face or his mouth but either way the guy's a certifiable wackjob, going facefirst twice to block a puck. And I say that with the biggest possible affection because we could use a psycho like that.

Didn't Lapperiere block one with his face earlier in the season as well? I don't know it was with his face or his mouth but either way the guy's a certifiable wackjob, going facefirst twice to block a puck. And I say that with the biggest possible affection because we could use a psycho like that.

It was his mouth the first time yeah, I think he lost like eight teeth. Good thing this one was only a Martin slapper.

We criticize players for not skating with their heads up, but we applaud a guy who puts his noggin in a shooting lane? Er, OK.

Wierd huh. Kinda dumb blocking a shot with your face/head.

I understand putting it all on the line for your team, but if I see you sprawled out on the ice looking at me when I'm gonna shoot, I'm blasting it right at you. It's your tough sh!t if it hits you in the head.

Yeah if a player ever ends up dying on the ice, I think this is the most likely cause.

Headline reads:- "NHL player dies on ice due to stupidity"

On a comparison, I think there is equal possibility of a player dying if a Steve Moore-Marcus Naslund incident is repeated. Hopefully it never will be.

Headline reads:- "NHL player dies on ice due to stupidity"

On a comparison, I think there is equal possibility of a player dying if a Steve Moore-Marcus Naslund incident is repeated. Hopefully it never will be.

You call it stupidity I call it sacrifice.

You call it stupidity I call it sacrifice.

My, you are a cantankerous one. Pretty refreshing for new blood on this site, it's like a breath of fresh air.

I value my health, laying on the ice like a dumbass to block a shot is stupid AND dangerous (are you listening Laperierre). Blocking shots like the Russians did in the 50's and 60's is the way to go, IMO.

My, you are a cantankerous one. Pretty refreshing for new blood on this site, it's like a breath of fresh air.

I value my health, laying on the ice like a dumbass to block a shot is stupid AND dangerous (are you listening Laperierre). Blocking shots like the Russians did in the 50's and 60's is the way to go, IMO.

No need to take a shot at me, yes you are a much more experienced poster. I was also just stating my opinion and the majority here seem to agree with me, which doesn't make me right but I think gives me the right to not be pointed out specifically as "cantankerous." Nice word drop though.

And I don't think it's fair to call Laperierre a dumbass for blocking a shot with his face because it's a smart move if you want to go deep into the playoffs, but I do think it's fair if you want to call him a dumbass for not wearing a visor.

Edited by ben00rs

I am shocked that the NHL has not yet mandated that every player wear a visor. And I'm more shocked that more players don't wear them.

All the best to Laperriere.

+1

In my rec leauge there are guys who play without visors, and i think they are slightly crazy.

When your coming up against guys who can easily shoot the puck 100mph i would have a full face cage on.

I hope he recovers, i have great respect for players who leave everything on the ice.

Yeah, not to mention he took said brain bruise to stop that puck in the 3rd period of a game that was already over. Shows you the difference between our team and theirs.

Edited by MadDog2020

We criticize players for not skating with their heads up, but we applaud a guy who puts his noggin in a shooting lane? Er, OK.

Shot blocking is more chance though... you really think a player slides and thinks I'M GONNA TAKE THIS IN THE FACE.... OH BOY!!!!!

you're hoping to get a shin or chest pad on it.... and yeah it hits them in the face ans a big OWIE ensues.... but admit it, it's the kinda stuff we LOVE about hockey players.... hell who forgets Daryl Sydor limping like a dying animal to get into the slot area during the 2000 playoffs???

If our team had one-tenth that level of want to win.... by golly WE COULDA MADE A GAME SIX!!! B )