Satans Hockey

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is hilarious:

http://www.mls-daily.com/2010/05/pires-rejects-unions-offer-because-city.html

Pires Rejects Union's Offer Because City Isn't Beautiful

Former French international Robert Pires has turned down an offer to join the Philadelphia Union. According to a report in L'Equipe, the former Arsenal star rejected the expansion club's overtures, apparently because the quality of the city does not live up to his expectations.

"It does not please me," he said in a roughly-translated version of the article. "I do not want to be difficult, but left to take my family away, I'd rather do it in a beautiful city. Otherwise, I will put an end to my career."

However, when asked about former France and Arsenal teammate Thierry Henry's potential move to the New York Red Bulls, Pires responded more positively: "I wish him to go there. That is a beautiful city."

Eh, wish I could take that at face value, but when its "I'd rather retire than play", it has to be about $. Its not like either stadium is that close to their supposed city. Chester PA isn't exactly the nicest city in America, but that stadium is going to be right up there in terms of MLS venues, and it close enough to some of the nicer area suburbs.

Did anyone believe Yori Djorkaeff his last year when he was supposed to be hurt, then was seen at like every France Wold cup game in Germany?

There are rumors about a second mls team coming to NY (Queens). Beckham might be involved and the rumored name is the NY Cosmos. I wonder if that happened and all ny fans threw their support toward the Cosmos, would RBNY feel silly for ditching the Jersey name??

There are rumors about a second mls team coming to NY (Queens). Beckham might be involved and the rumored name is the NY Cosmos. I wonder if that happened and all ny fans threw their support toward the Cosmos, would RBNY feel silly for ditching the Jersey name??

Won't happen unless they play in citi-field or unless whoever the owners are build a stadium with their own money. The city isn't going to fork over money to build a soccer stadium.

Won't happen unless they play in citi-field or unless whoever the owners are build a stadium with their own money. The city isn't going to fork over money to build a soccer stadium.

I won't be Citifield, the maintainene scheduling conflicts with the baseball team that plays there.

RedBulls topped Juventus 3-1 in a friendly! I'm surprised this didn't get posted yet....

Juve put in a solid 45 minute effort & then laid down for the 2nd half. 5 Italian national team members were missing but still had some big names playing.

Red Bull starters checked into the game midway through the 2nd half where most of the scoring happened.

It was an exciting game & a great atmosphere.

Easy enough to get to from the PATH, but I didn't like how you got herded on the narrow sidewalk for the first few blocks when you get off the train. I will definitely be going back.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whatever happened to Thierry Henry joining the Red Bulls after the World Cup? France is out, so why hasn't he signed? Is that not happening anymore? I want to know because I've been waiting to buy tickets so I can go to a game when he is on the team.

Whatever happened to Thierry Henry joining the Red Bulls after the World Cup? France is out, so why hasn't he signed? Is that not happening anymore? I want to know because I've been waiting to buy tickets so I can go to a game when he is on the team.

I actually talked to a player who lives in my building and he said they were going to announce this AFTER the World Cup is over. My guess is you will see the ads for this during the weekend. I am actually buying tickets NOW.

The Red Bulls are going to announce on the 14th who they signed, they didn't just do that because they like the number 14th. I think the friendly against tottenham will be his first game. I don't see them letting his first start be a road game.

Agreed.

Is Beckham playing this year in LA?

Is Beckham playing this year in LA?

He got hurt playing in Milan this winter, not sure if he can come back this year.

I'm not a huge fan of Henry coming here, the guy is forever marred by that Ireland game

He got hurt playing in Milan this winter, not sure if he can come back this year.

I'm not a huge fan of Henry coming here, the guy is forever marred by that Ireland game

Becks isn't playing this year or next year. He's going back to Milan.

And I could care less about what TH14 did with his national team, he makes our team THAT much better. I WANT A CHAMPIONSHIP. We've been waiting 14 loong years for one, we got a shot in 08, and lost, TH14 gives us a better shot.

Im moving back to the tri-state or to Syracuse by the end of the summer (waiting on some shiz) Im really rooting for tri-state so I can get to Yanks and Devs games, but I'll definitely be hitting up the Red Bulls.

I have a feeling that when TH14 signs there may not be tickets left.

A lot of French ex-pats in the area.

Looks like it's official.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5378712/french-striker-thierry-henry-signs-deal-new-york-red-bulls

Looks like I finally have the desire to watch soccer. Any tips for those who have gone to the new stadium? Preferable sections to sit in, places to go before and after, etc. It looks like I'll probably be trying to get tickets for the 8/28 game against San Jose. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.