What do you think David Clarkson is worth?

mikeford

So, as a spinoff from the Paul Martin thread... I think the biggest guy other than Paul we have to sign is Clarkson... so what is he worth?

Keeping in mind a guy like Milan Lucic just signed his first contract post-ELC and got 4 mil a year...

Anywhere from $1.5M to $2.5M no more.

Would like to see Clarkson resign, but if he and his agent are asking for a lot more then he is probably gone. There are players down in Albany that are like a Clarkson. Nick Palmieri most likely would take his roster spot. Want Clarkson here and he has said he wants to spend his entire career here, so a deal for both sides hopefully will happen.

i love clarkson, but really, he can't seem to skate, stay on his feet, or control the puck at all. i would hate to lose him, but i would definitely let someone else overpay him.

This. I like Clarkson, but I fear he may have already reached his ceiling. He's a third-liner. A good third-liner, but a third-liner nonetheless.

He can't seem to skate, stay on his feet, or control the puck at all.

Goodness, he's not THAT bad. He does fall down more than other players though. But I think his skating and puck possession skills have improved a great deal. We need good energy guys, too.

Clarkson looked really good before his injury and then seemed to have trouble coming back. And when he did, he was on a different line with a different role for every shift he had. I say we give him $1.5-2mm for a year and see what he can do.

i had high hopes for clarkson but his return from injury highlighted the shortcomings in his game. I agree on a one year deal around 1.75 or I'd wrap him up for 3 years at maybe 2.25 per.

that being said - he's a very good trade chip and if he + 3rd could get Patrick Sharp as I stated on my wishlist, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

i think he's worth 1.5-1.75 as an RFA. and i'd only give him the one year deal, and see what it's like playing him with a real 3rd line center and zharkov instead of rolston and niedermayer.

I agree with you. Definitely not near 2 mil.

1.35-1.75 at the most.

Guys like him are a dime a dozen.

I mean, I really think thats a severe exaggeration. He's not an elite talent but the guy had 17 goals in 08-09 and does all the dirty work Randy McKay type stuff along the walls and in front of the net and he's willing to throw down with pretty much anyone. I don't really call that "dime a dozen" level talent. He's not Andrew Peters.

I mean, I really think thats a severe exaggeration. He's not an elite talent but the guy had 17 goals in 08-09 and does all the dirty work Randy McKay type stuff along the walls and in front of the net and he's willing to throw down with pretty much anyone. I don't really call that "dime a dozen" level talent. He's not Andrew Peters.

You don't even have to argue the stats. Players with Clarkson's character(loyalty, grit, gives the body, deication to the team) are not a dime a dozen. It's way easier to find a Scott Gomez or a Matt Cooke.

Edited by ben00rs

At the beginning of the season, I thought he was a must-have, $2.5-3 million player. However the injury seems to have destroyed almost all the mojo he had at the beginning of the year, and at this point I don't see him being worth much. As others have said, give him a 1 year, $1.5-2 million deal and let him prove that he can play at the high level he showed before the injury.

At the beginning of the season, I thought he was a must-have, $2.5-3 million player. However the injury seems to have destroyed almost all the mojo he had at the beginning of the year, and at this point I don't see him being worth much. As others have said, give him a 1 year, $1.5-2 million deal and let him prove that he can play at the high level he showed before the injury.

The problem with the 1 year deal that you and others have suggested is that it brings Clarkson to UFA age. At that point there will not be any bargain price, and David will be looking to set himself up with a long contract.

This creates a big challenge for Lou, what does he think David is now, and what will he before say the next 5 or 6 years? He is quickly getting to the age where anymore improvement in his game in unlikely. With that in mind overpaying for him at this point would be a mistake. If you can get him into a 3 or 4 year deal at around 2 you do it right now.

The worst case scenario would be arbitration. There are far too many overpaid rfa's for him to compare himself with for arbitration to end well for the Devils.

The problem with the 1 year deal that you and others have suggested is that it brings Clarkson to UFA age. At that point there will not be any bargain price, and David will be looking to set himself up with a long contract.

This creates a big challenge for Lou, what does he think David is now, and what will he before say the next 5 or 6 years? He is quickly getting to the age where anymore improvement in his game in unlikely. With that in mind overpaying for him at this point would be a mistake. If you can get him into a 3 or 4 year deal at around 2 you do it right now.

The worst case scenario would be arbitration. There are far too many overpaid rfa's for him to compare himself with for arbitration to end well for the Devils.

Unfortunately, letting Clarkson get to UFA is a risk I think you have to take here. Clarkson doesn't have enough of a track record to assure us that he's a $3 million player, so signing him to that figure opens us up to another Pandolfo.

What you said about getting him into a 3 or 4 year deal at $2 million is obviously the ideal situation, and I think anyone on this board would take it, even with his post-injury problems. However, would Clarkson agree to it? I doubt it.

What you said about getting him into a 3 or 4 year deal at $2 million is obviously the ideal situation, and I think anyone on this board would take it, even with his post-injury problems. However, would Clarkson agree to it? I doubt it.

I would think he'd sign a deal like that, but I guess it depends on how good he thinks he's going to become.

I wouldn't really be all that disappointed if we let Clarkson walk, I know he is a real team first kind of guy and he works hard every shift but watching him with the puck is kind of painful. Yeah he started the season off well but I feel like many of his goals were lucky, also what does he really do? He hits people but he isn't that great of a hitter, I doubt anyone in the league is intimidated by him and he's in no way shape or form an agitator. So he doesn't really do anything that well. I'd rather see a guy like Zharkov or Nick Palmieri play the third line RW role.