What do you think David Clarkson is worth?

mikeford

Other than Zubrus who isn't counted on to score anyway, most of the players who were out long periods (Elias, Clarkson, Martin) were subpar after they came back, I'd give them all the benefit of the doubt on bouncing back next year.

At least there's no way Clarkson gets the Lucic deal now, for one he hasn't had the success in the playoffs and for another Lucic's own bad year showed how inflated his deal was.

The problem with the 1 year deal that you and others have suggested is that it brings Clarkson to UFA age. At that point there will not be any bargain price, and David will be looking to set himself up with a long contract.

This creates a big challenge for Lou, what does he think David is now, and what will he before say the next 5 or 6 years? He is quickly getting to the age where anymore improvement in his game in unlikely. With that in mind overpaying for him at this point would be a mistake. If you can get him into a 3 or 4 year deal at around 2 you do it right now.

The worst case scenario would be arbitration. There are far too many overpaid rfa's for him to compare himself with for arbitration to end well for the Devils.

I wouldn't sign him for more than 3 and that might be a reach. The kinda style Clarkson plays isn't conducive long-term. I'd probably say he's worth around 2 M. If you can get him to sign for two years, that would be better. You're probably looking at 3 yrs, between 5.6 and 6.2.

I wouldn't sign him for more than 3 and that might be a reach. The kinda style Clarkson plays isn't conducive long-term. I'd probably say he's worth around 2 M. If you can get him to sign for two years, that would be better. You're probably looking at 3 yrs, between 5.6 and 6.2.

When you say isnt conducive long term I agree in that i cant see him playing past his mid to early 30's. But if you sign him for 4 years right now you have him till he is 30 years old. By then you should have a pretty good read on what his mileage looks like and how much he has left without it being too much of a risk.

When you say isnt conducive long term I agree in that i cant see him playing past his mid to early 30's. But if you sign him for 4 years right now you have him till he is 30 years old. By then you should have a pretty good read on what his mileage looks like and how much he has left without it being too much of a risk.

I'm thinking in terms of Clarkson the player. This year, he missed significant action. The way he plays, that could be more in line. He plays bigger than his size and will take on anyone. Perhaps he needs to not fight as much. When healthy, he's a solid offensive player. I like the way Lemaire used him on their PP.

To me it makes sense to sign Clarkson for $2 million when there's a decent chance his performance could exceed what he's worth. Cap-onomics. Maybe those who really don't like him don't think he could score 20 goals, that's fair.

I also have a soft spot for unheralded players who make something of themselves. Like Randy McKay.

i think he's worth 1.5-1.75 as an RFA. and i'd only give him the one year deal, and see what it's like playing him with a real 3rd line center and zharkov instead of rolston and niedermayer.

100% agree with that

You don't even have to argue the stats. Players with Clarkson's character(loyalty, grit, gives the body, deication to the team) are not a dime a dozen. It's way easier to find a Scott Gomez or a Matt Cooke.

Loyalty and grit should be a given in the NHL. Seriously, Clarkson can take a hike for anything over $1.5 in my book, realistically I'd say $2m in a 1-way contract for 3 years and hope for the best.

Mike Rupp played for $850 a year, and can at least skate. He played well tonight, and had 13 or 14 goals this year.

I like Clarkson but Lou has to be very careful here. We already spend way to much of our cap on secondary players (White, Salvador, Pando, Rolston) and David Clarkson is not a top 6 forward on a team that expects to be a contender IMO.

I agree with those saying 3 or 4 years at 2 million per season MAX.