10 Reasons To Keep Kovy

Neb00rs

Aside from Sidney Crosby there is NO PLAYER in the league worth $8 million a year in a salary cap era.

Sid makes players around him better, "Chuck" does not.

well you're just way wrong about this. once again you have no idea what you're talking about.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from Sidney Crosby there is NO PLAYER in the league worth $8 million a year in a salary cap era.

I think it helps more to think of it in percentages rather than dollars.

IIRC, no player is allowed to make more than 20% of the salary cap. For example, when Lou offered Scotty Nieds the max contract, it was $7.8M ($39M cap that year) and represented one-fifth of the money Lou was allowed to use to build a team with.

In the 2009-10 season, the cap was $56.8M so the max contract would have been $11.36M. A contract paying $8M represents about 14% of a team's salary cap allottment.

So, actually, in today's NHL $8M counts for a lot less than $7.8M did a few years ago.

Triumph, you're right. The anti-Kovalchuk Devil fans are dug in. I'm one of them. I did not like what I saw while he was here, and it's more than an abnormally low shooting percentage. I watched a team bend over backwards to make him fit. I watched a player who regularly stayed on the ice for a full 2-minute PP, and too many times made mistakes at the point (and often at the end of the "shift"). I saw too many 1-on-2 and 1-on-3 entries into the zone. I am afraid we will get more of the same.

He did manage his first "plus" season in the NHL, though, so congratulations to him for that.

Sid makes players around him better, "Chuck" does not.

O great Manta now you're getting philosophical. Anyways Daneyko is right, it's about percentages.

Edited by ben00rs

I love Patty, but Kovy is a better player than Elias at his stage in his career and Kovy is younger. When it really comes down to it, i'd take Kovy over Patty. Sorry Patty.

This may be true but it doesn't matter because it's a non-issue. Elias is staying.

Yeah definately. Patty wants to stay here and i think his contract might lead to the end of his career. He's 34 now. When his contract is up he'll be 37 or 38.

Call me crazy but Elias will retire a Devil, his jersey will go up and then they will erect a statue of him outside the rock alongside Marty.

Triumph, you're right. The anti-Kovalchuk Devil fans are dug in. I'm one of them. I did not like what I saw while he was here, and it's more than an abnormally low shooting percentage. I watched a team bend over backwards to make him fit. I watched a player who regularly stayed on the ice for a full 2-minute PP, and too many times made mistakes at the point (and often at the end of the "shift"). I saw too many 1-on-2 and 1-on-3 entries into the zone. I am afraid we will get more of the same.

He did manage his first "plus" season in the NHL, though, so congratulations to him for that.

like you said, you're dug in. but there's not going to be a bigger bargain, even with all his faults.

outside of Prudential, I want Marty, Patty, Daneyko, and Stevens statues all protected by a laser grid that will stun Rangers and Flyers fans on contact. But that's just my opinion........

Nah we just need lasers around the Marty statue to stop Sean Avery from trying to rub it.

Just to be clear. Do you honestly believe he will always struggle and score rarely as a Devil? If Kovy can't be a good scorer for the Devils, would anyone be? Remember, he has only been a non-thrasher for 4 months.

I'm sorry, but this is not why we can't win a round in the playoffs. Boston is still playing, by the way. Their offense isn't all that great. They sure compete a whole lot better than we did, though.

Boston has been playing D and clearing people away from their net plus scoring goals,the have Savard,Bergeron,Satan,Chara an old Mark Recchi who is capa ble of scoring still,Wideman plus a couple of more im sure im missin g,our scorers who would count on was Parise,Kovalchuk,Elias,and Zubrus.Scorer wise tho iwould say Boston has us defeated in that department because they have more proveen goal scorers than we do.

I'm sorry, but this is not why we can't win a round in the playoffs.

Just like Kovalchuk's presence is not a reason we didn't win a round in the playoffs this year when we died in the first round two years running without him.

Just to be clear. Do you honestly believe he will always struggle and score rarely as a Devil? If Kovy can't be a good scorer for the Devils, would anyone be? Remember, he has only been a non-thrasher for 4 months.

How quickly people forget about Mogilny, he was terrible for the better part of a year before lighting it up, he put up more than acceptable numbers in '00-01. For whatever problems Kovalchuk had here, he still averaged about a point per game which isn't exactly bad.

For whatever problems Kovalchuk had here, he still averaged about a point per game which isn't exactly bad.

+1 A point per game right after coming from Atlanta is pretty good and yet some people here are acting like he failed as an individual player. He also led our team in points in the playoffs. I don't deny he struggled but once again he was a Thrasher only 4 months ago. I mean he didn't even have a center to play with in NJ, is that his fault?

Also, good example with Mogilny. After coming to the Devils at the end of the season in 99-00, he came out in 00-01 and settled in with Gomez and put up great numbers.

Stats don't lie Manta. They are not laughable either. Kovy was one of our best players in the playoffs believe it or not.

I've concluded that the anti-Kovy people are going to spin every possible point against Kovy, no matter what logic is thrown at them. It doesn't matter that Kovy was a Thrasher only 4 months ago and still was a point a game guy and led our team in scoring in the playoffs with no center, they will still call him a complete failure as a Devil and claim he will never be good on this team and will stop us from winning a Cup.

I've concluded that the anti-Kovy people are going to spin every possible point against Kovy, no matter what logic is thrown at them. It doesn't matter that Kovy was a Thrasher only 4 months ago and still was a point a game guy and led our team in scoring in the playoffs with no center, they will still call him a complete failure as a Devil and claim he will never be good on this team and will stop us from winning a Cup.

First off, stop with the whole apologist "Kovy was a Thrasher only four months ago, so he gets a a bit of a pass on what he did here" angle. Lou made this deal thinking he could help NOW, impact NOW, this was a NOW deal, not a "let him get used to us and then he'll be better next season and the season(s) beyond deal" (I'll always feel that bringing Ilya in was a risk worth taking, regardless of the outcome). Lou knew there was a good chance he wouldn't be coming back here.

In bold: there you go. Blindly looking at stats. Do you really think he was good in the playoffs? Even Triumph admitted in another thread that Kovalchuk didn't have a good playoff. Wow, he scored an ENG goal and a 5-on-3 PPG in five GP. That's awesome stuff. Did he really impact the team that much during the regular season? Because I didn't see that either...not positively, anyway.

I have no idea how good he might be if he stays here (no one here can predict that), but at least my prognosis isn't based almost 100% on sunshiney perfect-case scenarios. I saw enough bad play and shakiness out of Kovalchuk in the time he was here that I'd be very concerned about coughing up big cash and several years to keep him, and are you going to continue to ignore the fact that his motivation has been called into question in Atlanta? I said this a long time ago, but he reminds me of a second-year player who has tremendous upside and is very raw. The problem is he's been in the NHL for several years now.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976