Favorite Ex-Devil

Motorcity Devil

It was boring in here, so I thought it would be fun to post a list of all of the active ex-Devils. I included players still listed as "professional" even if it included KHL, DEL, etc. Some interesting names playing in Europe still. If you care to, go ahead and list a few names that you wish were back in black and red (at their current salaries). There are a few players that I think we dodged a bullet on... Brad Lukowich for example making $1.6m playing in the AHL. Or how about Mike Commodore making $3.8m for 3 more years!

For me, I think it might be nice to see about getting Brookbank back. I don't know what he'll go for, but according to Capgeek.com he is UFA this year. Hard to believe he only goes for $0.5m and played 66 games at a +10... Or how about Sean O'Donnell playing 78 games at a +14 and only costing $1.25m? I know Sean is old, but that was great for LA.

I wish we still had Mike Rupp... He's like Clarkson, except he can actually skate.

Capture-3-1.jpg

Edited by Motor City Devil

Did the Ducks give Scotty to the 'Nucks as a loaner??

I'm going with Rafalski simply because how he left....or maybe Arnott, boy we could really use a center for Patty and Kovy...

Sorry, I copied the wrong line... I've fixed it.

Rafalski is really pricey, don't you think? He does eat up a lot of minutes though. I agree about Arnott. I've seen him play now a few times in Nashville live, and he's still a great player.

Edited by Motor City Devil

I agree about Arnott. I've seen him play now a few times in Nashville live, and he's still a great player.

Yea, second, or third that..... could someone remind me why LL sent Arnott packing? I can't recall a good reason.

I don't recall... Did it have something to do with trying to keep Gomez, Gionta, and all of the other UFA/RFAs? I guess if he was trying to that he failed completely. We don't have Gio, Gomer, Arnott; instead we have Rob Neidermeyer, Rolston, and Zubrus. Ick.

Honestly, I really don't remember the circumstances, I'm just complaining. :)

Yea, second, or third that..... could someone remind me why LL sent Arnott packing? I can't recall a good reason.

Wasn't it to break up the A line because he didn't like the idea that the three players on it were becoming too dependent on each other?

Also I wish we still had Niedermayer.

Edited by Devs4LIFE

we sent arnott and mckay to dallas for langs and neiuwy in 2002. I'd say that one worked out for us ok.

The ones that hurt the most are Nieder, Rafalski, and Gomez.. They're the guys that still haven't been properly replaced, and not for lack of trying.

Sorry, I copied the wrong line... I've fixed it.

Rafalski is really pricey, don't you think? He does eat up a lot of minutes though. I agree about Arnott. I've seen him play now a few times in Nashville live, and he's still a great player.

I was under the impression the question was favorite ex-Devil, not guy you want back under his current contract.

You left out all the ex-goalies including Clemmer :lol: I'd say Rafalski, Gionta and Madden as well as Clemmer, the rest of them can pretty much take a hike. Well I liked Bergfors and a couple of the other bit players too but they weren't around nearly as long as those others.

Edited by NJDevs26

I was under the impression the question was favorite ex-Devil, not guy you want back under his current contract.

You left out all the ex-goalies including Clemmer

There was only one active goalie, Clemmer (Weekes is a color commentator for CBC). I've added him, sorry.

You're also right, I did say favorite - but for me, salary had a lot to do with it. I'd love to see Rafalski back, just not at the price we'd have to pay. (I was trying to be realistic I guess).

The A-Line was becoming bigger than the team in Lou's mind. Sykora was also traded in a deal that brought Friesen, so both of those trades worked out very well for us.

yeah those two trades got us a cup in 2003 but are also contributing to Lou's Old Devils Reunion Rampage he's been going on since the lockout. That and if you look at the trades as of now it means we have Langs for Arnott straight up (given that Neiwy is long gone as is Friesen...and I'd say Sykora is gone in direct correlation to being sent packing by us...put him back in the Devils system the past 2 years and he would be more productive then most everyone on our third and fourth lines) and I'd rather have Arnott...

Friesen was in the Sykora trade, McKay was the other guy in the Langs/Nieuwy trade. Sykora has been pretty useless the last few years, and not a third or fourth line player even when going well.

Lou's always had an affinity for bringing back ex-Devils, it's not just a since 2003 thing. Terreri came back again, so did Beezer, Claude, Richer, etc.