Serious Changes Needed

NewarkDevil5

I've never seen the entire fanbase so united on the idea that serious changes need to be made. We've got everyone from newbies to oldtimers all bringing up their thoughts about how to enter next year with a completely different team makeup than we had this past year. I attribute this not to a lack of talent on this team, but a lack of leadership and drive. The players didn't just take their collective foot off the pedal during this calendar year, they seemed to just stop caring period for the most part. You've got guys like msweet, Sundstrom and Triumph all putting up threads with major changes, you've got a good percentage of the team's fanbase saying that not only should Langenbrunner be stripped of the captaincy, he should be traded. I think this is a major turning point in the history of this franchise and I really hope that it is a turn for the better rather than our own version of the NYI's 1992.

The problem is, does the guy who NEEDS TO MAKE THE CHANGES see it??

Does he realize that the game is won at the CENTER position now, and putting LW's on the 2nd and 3rd lines isn't going to cut it??

Does he see the "score first and hold a lead" mindset is DEAD, and it died when the lockout ended??

Does he understand that it's ESSENTIAL to let young, hungry players get a shot, even if they are not 1000% "ready" (and being "ready to play Devils hockey" is no longer a formula to win in this league anyway)...instead of signing has-been's never were's and any stiff on the waiver wire with 2/3rds a pulse??

I'm beginning to wonder that he can't do this anymore.... and worry about it.....

Does he realize that the game is won at the CENTER position now, and putting LW's on the 2nd and 3rd lines isn't going to cut it??

the reason to move elias to center is because elias is a better center than anyone else on the team. elias was moved to wing when the team had an overload at center in the organization (imagine that). i am hoping that elias will be a center next year. he is an excellent puck possession player and has solid defensive instincts.

Does he see the "score first and hold a lead" mindset is DEAD, and it died when the lockout ended??

undoubtedly.

Does he understand that it's ESSENTIAL to let young, hungry players get a shot, even if they are not 1000% "ready" (and being "ready to play Devils hockey" is no longer a formula to win in this league anyway)...instead of signing has-been's never were's and any stiff on the waiver wire with 2/3rds a pulse??

I'm beginning to wonder that he can't do this anymore.... and worry about it.....

the devils' young, hungry players didn't do that much, all things considered, this season. pelley was mostly a washout - he went from being a center to a wing, and even then, the guy just can't score. zharkov was completely snakebit and did do well, but most of that didn't show up on the stat sheet. the organization is beginning to develop young players again, but for the most part, the guys the devils have developed over the last 5 years haven't deserved a shot.

Edited by Triumph

the reason to move elias to center is because elias is a better center than anyone else on the team. elias was moved to wing when the team had an overload at center in the organization (imagine that). i am hoping that elias will be a center next year. he is an excellent puck possession player and has solid defensive instincts.

the devils' young, hungry players didn't do that much, all things considered, this season. pelley was mostly a washout - he went from being a center to a wing, and even then, the guy just can't score. zharkov was completely snakebit and did do well, but most of that didn't show up on the stat sheet. the organization is beginning to develop young players again, but for the most part, the guys the devils have developed over the last 5 years haven't deserved a shot.

Being the "best" at a spot of MAJOR weakness on this team ain't enough... unless we had some decent to good guys at 3rd and 4th line (which means not Niedermommy and McAmmond or some other scrap heap trash)....Elias ain't good enough to be a 2nd line center on this team

I think part of the problem with our young players is brainwashing them into playing a dead-ineffective style of hockey, agree on Zharkov... it's the mindset of nagging these guys to death about defense and not letting them do what they do best.... this team is gonna be stuck in an UGLY dark ages....

Being the "best" at a spot of MAJOR weakness on this team ain't enough... unless we had some decent to good guys at 3rd and 4th line (which means not Niedermommy and McAmmond or some other scrap heap trash)....Elias ain't good enough to be a 2nd line center on this team

there is one player who played center this year who will be a free agent that's arguably a better center than elias and that's tomas plekanec. the devils aren't going to get a better 2nd line center than elias - but if they lose kovalchuk, they can still go after, say, frolov to play 2nd line LW.

I think part of the problem with our young players is brainwashing them into playing a dead-ineffective style of hockey, agree on Zharkov... it's the mindset of nagging these guys to death about defense and not letting them do what they do best.... this team is gonna be stuck in an UGLY dark ages....

zharkov was the lead forechecker almost always and wasn't brainwashed into doing anything - zharkov has terrible hands and that was the rap on him when he was drafted, nothing's changed from then until now. he didn't score in the AHL either, it's not for lack of trying, he is just not a good shooter, at all.

We need a player like gomez back. It's killing me right now, watching Gionta and gomez play for montreal. Gionta never backed down no matter what. He went to the front of the net and wasn't afraid of the dirty areas. WE NEED a player on the Devils willing to do that. gomez would carry the puck all the way up the ice and set up someone which is what we need.

We need a player like gomez back. It's killing me right now, watching Gionta and gomez play for montreal. Gionta never backed down no matter what. He went to the front of the net and wasn't afraid of the dirty areas. WE NEED a player on the Devils willing to do that. gomez would carry the puck all the way up the ice and set up someone which is what we need.

I echo your sentiment on Gionta. He's not worth his contract but does the little things that help win in pressure situations. Maybe he needed a scenery change. Plus being reunited with Gomez has given him a boost. They still are fun to watch.

Its funny that you bring up the center position. It has always been the most important forward position. Remember the late 90's early 00's when teams lived and died by their depth at center? However right now the league is in transition and has gone from a center heavy league to a center thin league. The haves really stand out from the have not's at this position right now. The problem? It cant be fixed through free agency and the Devil's drafts have and will not provide an immediate answer.

Its funny that you bring up the center position. It has always been the most important forward position. Remember the late 90's early 00's when teams lived and died by their depth at center? However right now the league is in transition and has gone from a center heavy league to a center thin league. The haves really stand out from the have not's at this position right now. The problem? It cant be fixed through free agency and the Devil's drafts have and will not provide an immediate answer.

But pre-lockout D and goalies and systems were a LOT more important now.... the league (hell all of the pro sports leagues have done this)... and now the rules are all about offense, offense, offense.... so the shift going away from D-first systems to offense by defense (re: puck control) and goaltending being less important... the emphasis on D and goalie has shifted to Centers

The game has changed, this team's approach to the game HAS TO

you're about three years late to the party.

i'm ok w/ elias at 2nd line center if a guy like belanger is the 3rd line center. that creates depth. neidermayer and mcammond are not depth centers.

i'd still love to get sharp from chicago because HE could be the 2nd line center (or wing). Conceivably, Sharp would take the faceoffs and allow Elias to play the position in transition. Elias and Zubrus worked that way when they were on the same line for a time.

better puck movers on defense are more important than the big bruisers of yesteryear. a guy like Hajalmarsson on Chicago, Goligoski on Pittsburgh, Carle on Philly just as examples - these are exponentially better skill sets to play in this NHL than say Salvador, White, Gill, etc. These are the type of guys you see being phased out of the NHL now. these are the types of players I'd advocate getting because that's what helps you survive against a team that wants to forecheck the sh!t out of you like philly did.

the devils had two of them this past year - martin and greene. mottau sort of plays like this but is SO slow that it effects everything else he does.

if the devils could match up for a brad richards trade, i'd look at that as well.

But pre-lockout D and goalies and systems were a LOT more important now.... the league (hell all of the pro sports leagues have done this)... and now the rules are all about offense, offense, offense.... so the shift going away from D-first systems to offense by defense (re: puck control) and goaltending being less important... the emphasis on D and goalie has shifted to Centers

The game has changed, this team's approach to the game HAS TO

the devils don't really spend money on defense, though. not only that, they've only drafted a defenseman in the first round once since 2000, and they've only taken a goalie once in the first three rounds since 2000 as well. i think the team is aware of the changes in the game - otherwise you don't see a guy like tedenby, a skill player whose defense has been criticized, taken by new jersey. it's just really hard to change when you draft terribly for 5 years, and you get low draft picks every year.

re: puck movers - oduya was supposed to be that guy for us to an extent, he just took 2 steps back this season.

Edited by Triumph

+1...

Can't argue or add anything to this as you are right DEAD on here!

Let's hope Lou does see the light here Crasher. If not, it will be the same ending and story as it was the last three straight seasons. Cannot keep signing old player and ex-Devils players. Those days are now over. First, Lou has to resign Kovalchuk.