Cormier charged with assault

Devs4LIFE

Link

QUEBEC, QUE.—The former captain of Canada’s world junior hockey team will face criminal charges in addition to a suspension for a hit to an opposing player in January.

Annie-Claude Bergeron, a spokesman for the Crown prosecutor’s office in Rouyn-Noranda, says Patrice Cormier has been charged with assault causing injury.

Cormier, a forward with the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, will appear in court July 12. If convicted, he could be sentenced to 18 months in jail.

I know most people were happy to see Cormier go after the hit he had in January, but after our early exit from the playoffs I'm sure some people thought that we should have kept him. Well it looks like Lou knew what he was doing in getting rid of him.

Damn. Jail time for a hit? Did Burtuzzi get any jail time? I hope Patrice doesn't get convicted. Dirty hit, yes but to derail a young guys carear for a year and a half?

Why on the same subject why the can't linesmen break up after whistle scrums? You see a linesmen standing there and 10 seconds later the ref comes in and breaks it up. Whats with that?

Damn. Jail time for a hit? Did Burtuzzi get any jail time? I hope Patrice doesn't get convicted. Dirty hit, yes but to derail a young guys carear for a year and a half?

Why on the same subject why the can't linesmen break up after whistle scrums? You see a linesmen standing there and 10 seconds later the ref comes in and breaks it up. Whats with that?

Single officials are instructed to wait for a second official's help before intervening in scrums. When 1 official tries to separate two individuals, he can only restrain one, and that is when guys get hurt. So they wait till another official can come and help remove both parties at the same time.

He derailed his own career. I love how people have argued with me that we shouldn't have traded him because we could have "changed" him. I'm glad he is out of our system, he doesn't deserve to wear the red and black.

He derailed his own career. I love how people have argued with me that we shouldn't have traded him because we could have "changed" him. I'm glad he is out of our system, he doesn't deserve to wear the red and black.

I stand by what i said in the other thread, IMO he can be changed, Lou spoke to him and he seemed to feel the same. I hate it when people just write a person so young off for one mistake.

Anyway, we have done that argument to death and were not going to agree, so no point going over it again.

The most interesting part is at the end of the article:

Tam spent a night in hospital after the hit, but eventually was able to return to the ice and then was suspended himself for two games on March 8 for a hit from behind in a game against the Gatineau Olympiques.

This is not a single player issue, this is something the QMJHL , OHL and every other leauge has to tackle. Things like this will keep happening untill it is adressed as a whole.

It drives me NUTS when politicians and DA's overstep their bounds and stick their faces in problems in sports that are being handled and handled WELL by the sport.... the kid got suspended for the YEAR and got a black mark next to his name that might take a long long time to erase.... do they REALLY need to ruin the kid's life and throw him in jail??? It's been handled within the goddamn sport, LEAVE IT ALONE!

I'm with Vinnie on this. We need a mean son of a bitch on this soft team. Nobody cried when Scotty knocked guys out with 3 seconds left in the game. Suddenly we want boy scouts?

There's a huge difference between being mean and being cheap.

If Scott Stevens was a Ranger or Flyer making those hits on Devils players, we'd all think 100% differently of him.

Having said that, we DO need a crazy guy in the lineup.

There is NO ONE in this Devils lineup that keeps the other team's heads up during the game. I think Lou tried to fix that getting Andrew Peters but that was bad.