Concerts

Devils Dose

Speaking of The Specials, they are also playing Summer Stage in Central Park on August 22nd. Going to do my best to get there but I have a game at 3:30....curses...

By the way, has anybody been to the Knitting Factory since they moved to Brooklyn? Used to go to the old downtown location for the 3 floors of Ska shows they do on occasion, but haven't had a chance to get over there yet.

that show got canceled.

and the new BK Knitting Factory kind of sucks, doesn't have the hole in the wall charm of the old one.

Concert Ticket Sales Struggling (New York Times)

For the concert business it has been a summer of hard sells and empty seats.

“How are we going to get people to buy tickets ahead of time next year when there’s so much deep discounting going on right now?” said Kevin Lyman, promoter of the Vans Warped Tour. “At the venues they’re hawking $10, $20 tickets, and you see the kids saying, ‘Wait, I paid $40 for that ticket.’ They’ve lost the trust of the fan.”

With record sales down by more than half over the last 10 years, artists have increasingly turned to touring for their income, leading many to tour too often, some say.

Saw Spiritualized Friday night at Radio City Music Hall. Barely knew the band, but they were pretty awesome. They played their album Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space in it's entirety, with a string section, horns, and choir. About 30 people on stage. Extremely loud, amazing light show. The kind of show you don't get to see very often, so it was totally worth it (well, would have been had I paid for the tickets - even better since I won them).

I don't know if it qualifies as a concert, but I saw the Kevin Smith Q&A last night in Red Bank. Hilarious stuff. It was recorded for a future possible DVD release and a special on a new cable channel (Epix?)

He talked a bit about Hit Somebody (the hockey movie he's doing in 2011/2012) and the Walter Gretzky hockey tournament, etc. It went on for about five hours, but the whole thing was just riotously hilarious.

The Dead Weather was awesome in Brooklyn tonight. Took some time to get to the venue in Prospect Park but it was very worth it. Those guys really know how to put on a show. Jack White was amazing, as was Jack Lawrence, and they've got a hell of a singer in Alison Mosshart. What a show. Loud as hell, just the way I like it.

Awesome, though I can't see this one being as fun with all the seats in the way. :(

The floor is general admission standing. Only seats are in the balcony and even that's general admission first come first served seating. They only have seating for comedians for the most part.

The floor is general admission standing. Only seats are in the balcony and even that's general admission first come first served seating. They only have seating for comedians for the most part.

Oh awesome, I looked up the seating chart and didn't see any general admission floor, I guess they add seats when necessary. Thanks for the heads up, I'll probably be there.

In an Old Navy waiting for day 2 of Lollapalooza. Day one was spectacular. Foxy Shazam was incredible, as were The Strokes, The Constellations, Semi Precious Weapons...Devo were fun and weird as they should be, fvck Buttons was a nice change of pace. Neon Trees were ok for what they were.

Can't remember who else I checked out during the day night now. Excited as hell for Gogol Bordelo this afternoon. Also, seeing a TON of Blackhawks shirts, and constantly getting sh!t for my Devils shirts, which I find odd since there's no real rivalry. Fun anyways.

Randomly went to a new Festival in the Uk called Hevy festival, and it was pretty cool, the main stage had glassjaw headlining the day i went and medina lake and a few other bands.

The second stage was headlined by Sepultura and had Napalm Death, Despised Icon, The Black Dahlia Murder, Devil sold his soul, Sylosis playing.

Fun was had by all!!

Lollapalooza was friggin spectacular and I'm pretty sure I'm at least trying to go again next year reglardless of who plays.

Bands I caught over the weekend:

Foxy Shazam

Balkan Beat Box

Devo

Semi-Precious Weapons

fvck Buttons

Neon Trees

The Black Keys

Jimmy Cliff

The Strokes

Skybox

Blues Traveler

Dan Black

Gogol Bordello

AFI

Deer Tick

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

Green Day

The Ike Reilly Assassination

Hockey

Violent Soho

The Verve Pipe (...as a children's band)

MGMT

The National

Soundgarden

I can honestly say, while there were bands I liked more than others, the only band I was truly disappointed with was Soundgarden. I expected a much better show than they put on - I guess the lengthy layoff had something to do with it. They sounded like a band that hadn't played together in years.

Beyond them, there were some amazing shows (The National, The Strokes, Gogol Bordello, Balkan Beat Box, Foxy Shazam) and some great bands that I want to see more of in the coming year (Hockey, Skybox, Ike Reilly Assassination, fvck Buttons).

Also, we apparently left Devo for Semi-Precious Weapons a few minutes too late to catch a half-naked Lady Gaga crowdsurfing during the latter's Magnetic Baby. Damn.

Saw them 14th row...........very nice. I posted many videos I took with my flipvid on my facebook account.

Damn that was awesome concert. If I had known it was going to be that good I would have gotten seats, instead of ending up 50 feet back on the grass and near one of the columns. Still had a fantastic time anyway. :D

Damn that was awesome concert. If I had known it was going to be that good I would have gotten seats, instead of ending up 50 feet back on the grass and near one of the columns. Still had a fantastic time anyway. :D

If I could figure out how to post a video here, I'd post one of mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Found out the other day about the "No sleep til..." tour.....woot....NOFX, MFATGG, Descendants etc all at one festival....very nice! Slightly less pleased about ticket price (AU$137) but nought can be done about that. Looking forward to it though.

I wish I could see the Descendents again :angry: