Are the Flyers this good?

hattrick

I think it was Bill Parcells :noclue: who said, "You're never as good as you look or as bad as you look".

They've won 6 straight games and scored 13 straight goals and have a million minutes shut out streak going. :argh::rant:

Edited by hattrick

Flyers are for real.

Laviolette has them focused and is rolling 4 lines with confidence and the players are responding: Asham, Van Riemsdyk, Carcillo, Hartnell and even Leino are playing great TEAM Hockey.

Sadly they are playing NJ Devils hockey. They are playing as strong as this years pre-olympic NJ Devils.

I wouldn't say they are this good. They got hot at the right point which is making them look better then they really are and they are playing a Canadian team which looks tired and honestly they should be due to the teams they had to go against and knock off. Are they good enough to win the cup? I cant see them out scoring the Blackhawks or Sharks. Too big, too physical, too quick.

no, they aren't this good. and they'll be a large underdog to the blackhawks if the hawks can finish off the sharks.

The talent and depth are certainly there. Even moreso if you're of the opinion that having a top tier goalie is overrated. It wasn't for nothing that they were one of favorites, if not the favorite to win the Conference at the beginning of the year. Sometimes it takes time, and sometimes the right coach, to put it all together.

They should be underdogs against either Western Conference team. But only moderately so.

The talent and depth are certainly there. Even moreso if you're of the opinion that having a top tier goalie is overrated. It wasn't for nothing that they were one of favorites, if not the favorite to win the Conference at the beginning of the year. Sometimes it takes time, and sometimes the right coach, to put it all together.

They should be underdogs against either Western Conference team. But only moderately so.

they should be large underdogs. they're not playing particularly great territorial hockey and their goaltending and shooting is both unsustainably hot.

they're a very good team. if they get back a healthy carter they'll probably be closer to 40-45% to win the series, but right now i'd have them at around 30-35%. chicago is really, really, really good.

I thought Paul Holmgren did a great job in Bobby Clarke's disastrous wake. They bounced back from a last-place season to make the playoffs two straight years, includung a trip to the Conference Finals. Then they went and added Chris Pronger, who seems to instantly turn every team he touches into Cup contenders, to the mix. The only surprise about them IMO is that they weren't this dominant in the regular season. I remember reluctantly telling my Flyers fans friends in South Jersey during the preseason that their team looked like the real deal.

+1 I wouldn't be surprised if Philly (gulp!) wins it all. They are playing great TEAM hockey and more importantly they believe they can win it all.

I thought Paul Holmgren did a great job in Bobby Clarke's disastrous wake. They bounced back from a last-place season to make the playoffs two straight years, includung a trip to the Conference Finals. Then they went and added Chris Pronger, who seems to instantly turn every team he touches into Cup contenders, to the mix. The only surprise about them IMO is that they weren't this dominant in the regular season. I remember reluctantly telling my Flyers fans friends in South Jersey during the preseason that their team looked like the real deal.

they weren't this dominant, and they're not this dominant. they are, however, a real good team. the thing is, they never stopped drafting well, and they've finally stopped throwing away their young players.

I don't feel they've beaten good teams. We were the best possible team they could have gotten matched up against in the East, the Bruins were a team that already had trouble scoring and once they had a couple injuries Philly took control of the series. And the Habs are just god awful and have gotten where they are because of two elite teams choking. I feel they will sweep the Habs, but get killed by the Blackhawks.

This. Even if the Flyers get past to the SCF they are gunna get killed. Blackhawks will skate rings around them.

That and robbing teams like Nashville, Anaheim and Atlanta in trades to solidify their defense.

Two out of three you're right on...I don't know that they robbed Anaheim, in fact I chuckle now at all the people here who thought they were giving up too much at the time. Pronger's proved once again you really can't overpay for an actual difference-maker on defense.

Edited by NJDevs26

I don't feel they've beaten good teams. We were the best possible team they could have gotten matched up against in the East, the Bruins were a team that already had trouble scoring and once they had a couple injuries Philly took control of the series. And the Habs are just god awful and have gotten where they are because of two elite teams choking. I feel they will sweep the Habs, but get killed by the Blackhawks.

You're correct say they didn't beat a good team when they played the Devils. However Boston got to round two so they were better than the devils and they lost to Philly. The Habs beat Washington and then Pittsburgh to play in round 3 and the Flyers are all over them. Your opinion that the Flyers are just poor to average is way off base. I want the Habs to win but I don't think that is going to happen. I think the Flyers will perform well against the Hawks but will lose in 7.