Power Down In Northeast Us & Canada

M.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, didn't really read the rest of this thread but just contributing my two cents.

My house lost power from about 4:10pm yesterday until 9:00am today. Not cool. Yet other houses in the area had power back up as early as 7pm yesterday. Shmeh well.

At least it's over.

Heard very cool things about sections of NYC during the blackout.

If you lived in parts of Jersey, it sounded like it wasn't too bad. Here, it was. We lost power like everyone at 4:10 PM but didn't get power back until around 1:35 AM. Then, just when we thought it was ok, we lost power again this morning early on and didn't get it back until later today.

Well, my family made the most of it. Went out to a couple of beaches out here and cooled off and saw Freddy vs Jason to kill time today. I didn't mind lighting candles either or barbecuing in the dark :D .

Hopefully, everything will be alright now and they will analyze what went wrong so it never happens again. P.S. Why did Canada put the blame on the Niagara Falls Plant? How about letting them investigate what happened first before jumping to conclusions.

Someone friggin hates me. I swear, the block in front of me had power. The block to the east had power, same with the block to the west and south. But guess what, my house and a few around me had no power until very recently. For those of you that were listening to 1010 WINS and heard that 99.9 percent of NJ had power. Well, the .1 was my stupid house. PSE&G finally brought their stupid asses to my house at midnight (4 hours ago) and my time without power ended in a miniscule 32 hours, lol.

P.S. Why did Canada put the blame on the Niagara Falls Plant? How about letting them investigate what happened first before jumping to conclusions.

Probably becuse that 1 plant is responsible for most of eastern Canada, and a larg portion of the North east US.

Probably becuse that 1 plant is responsible for most of eastern Canada, and a larg portion of the North east US.

Here's the latest from the AP on AOL's main page:

WASHINGTON (Aug. 16) - A failure to contain problems with three transmission lines in northern Ohio just south of Cleveland was the likely trigger of the nation's biggest power blackout, a leading investigator said Saturday.

Experts are working to understand why the local line disruptions, some of which occurred an hour before the blackout reached its peak, were not isolated, allowing a cascade of power system shutdowns stretching from Michigan to New York City and into Canada.

``We are fairly certain at this time that the disturbance started in Ohio,'' Michehl Gent, head of the North American Electric Reliability Council, said in a statement. ``We are now trying to determine why the situation was not brought under control after three transmission lines went out of service.''

Gent said the transmission system was designed to isolate such problems and suggested that human error might have been involved in not containing the situation.

``The system has been designed and rules have been created to prevent this escalation and cascading. It should have stopped,'' said Gent in a telephone conference call.

Later, in a statement suggesting human failings for the events last Thursday, Gent said in the future ``system operators ... will be extremely vigilant'' when local transmission problems arise.

Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham, who is co-chair of a U.S.-Canadian task force that will look into the cause of the blackout, said it's still too early to pinpoint a cause.

``We're not going to prejudge where the problem is,'' Abraham told reporters in Albany, N.Y., on Saturday where he met with the governors of New York and New Jersey to discuss the blackout. ``We're also not going to prematurely leap to conclusions.''

Abraham said the task force is putting together investigative teams that will include experts from the government's research laboratories as well as private resources, to find out what caused the power grid breakdown and recommend actions to prevent a repeat.

Gent did not identify specifically the three power line failures that have become the focus of the NERC investigation. But other council officials said they were among five reported transmission failures in the Cleveland area during a period of just over leading up to the blackout peak Thursday afternoon.

According to NERC, the first report came in at 3:06 p.m. EDT on Thursday and involved a 345-volt line that had ``tripped'' - or gone off line. That was followed by reports on other lines failing at 3:32 p.m., 3:41 p.m., 3:46 p.m. and 4:06 p.m.

Two minutes later, according to the NERC summary, ``power swings (were) noted in Canada and the U.S.'' and three minutes after that power disruptions hit across eight states.

The transmission system in northern Ohio is operated by FirstEnergy Corp., based in Akron, Ohio. The company has declined to comment on the investigation. ``Those reviews have not even come close to being completed and we're not going to speculate,'' FirstEnergy spokeswoman Kristen Baird said Saturday before Gent's announcement.

``It appears the train left the tracks in Ohio but we don't know who's responsible,'' said Alan Schriber, chairman of the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio.

Gent said he is confident the specific reason for the failures - and who is responsible - will be learned, but that it could take many weeks.

Among the things yet to be determined is the relationship between lines tripping in Ohio and the unusual power swings that were observed in lines leaving Michigan and going into Canada and then back again, according to investigators.

There are more than 10,000 pages of data, including automatically generated logs on power flows over transmission lines, that need to be closely examined, said Gent. Complicating the matter, he said, is that at the time of the power breakdown ``events were coming in so fast and furious that (some reports)

weren't even being logged in a timely way.''

Nonetheless, Gent said he is convinced that no data was lost and whatever was not recorded will be recovered.

``We will get to the bottom of this,'' he said.

08/16/03 17:03 EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

I should have written that, lol!

Good idea. Might as well make the best out of it!

Does anybody on the board realize I'm not 21 yet or did everyone forget? Sometimes I think people forget I'm a young-un. Two months to go!

*****reminds self to take sheeps out for legal drink in two months*********

Speaking of drinking.....check out this tidbit:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/st...457^662,00.html

Drunkest woman blows .401

A LANDSCAPE architect is one of the drunkest women ever caught driving in Australia after registering a blood alcohol concentration of .401 -- more than eight times the legal limit.

Medical experts believe the amount of alcohol found in Samantha Leigh O'Shea's blood could have killed a less experienced drinker.

Her reading was one of the highest reported in Australia.

A South Australian man recorded a blood-alcohol level of 0.497 when he was breath-tested in that state's southeast in 1998.

A Melbourne grandfather, 53, blew .423 in September 1999.

And a Tasmanian man, 30, blew .404 after falling into the arms of police who had tailed him home because of erratic driving in 1991.

Most drinkers become comatose with a level of .35 and death occurs at about .5, medical experts say.

O'Shea, 37, was seen driving on the wrong side of the road at night without lights on Queensland's Gold Coast on February 27 this year.

Police prosecutor Ian Cook told the Southport Magistrates' Court a passing motorist saw O'Shea step from her Volkswagen Beetle before collapsing to the ground.

The man took her in his own car to the Nerang police station where she later recorded the reading.

O'Shea's barrister, Frank Lippett, told the court his client had drunk four 100ml bottles of vanilla essence, which averaged 52 per cent total alcohol volume per bottle, before driving.

Mr Lippett said O'Shea had become an alcoholic in the early 1990s when her landscape architecture business hit a bad patch.

Before sentencing O'Shea to 200 hours of community service, three years probation and five years without a licence, acting magistrate Trevor Arnold said to her: "I'm surprised you're still here."

A LANDSCAPE architect is one of the drunkest women ever caught driving in Australia after registering a blood alcohol concentration of .401 -- more than eight times the legal limit.

Good to see that Belfour and Domi have a goal to aim for next season :D

Good to see that Belfour and Domi have a goal to aim for next season :D

I hear Theo Fleury is going for the all time record of .500! :ph34r:

Hey, don't forget to invite the rest of us! :D

I'm sure my reply is not quite suitable for all viewers, and I am almost positive DM would not approve. There fore, I refuse to respond to that coomment for fear of self humiliation incrimination. :ph34r:

thank you for your understanding. :D

:unsure:

:noclue:

Hey, don't forget to invite the rest of us! :D

I'm sure my reply is not quite suitable for all viewers, and I am almost positive DM would not approve. There fore, I refuse to respond to that coomment for fear of self humiliation incrimination. :ph34r:

thank you for your understanding. :D

:unsure:

:noclue:

Egggggsactly, sammy. :D