RUMOR: Michel Therrien is New Coach!

brickwall30

What makes you think he's really in contact? :lol: Remember Kovalchuk? That was when he was supposedly on the job. He basically wouldn't crack on that until the afternoon of the trade. He was probably the 10,000th person to figure it out.

This source is too consistant and well thought out to be a fake. If it is, they're nuts, because a Therrien/Devils rumor is like the perfect combination of "who cares". There's only two groups that are interested. Therrien, and Devils fans.

on ther other side this has been basically done for 10 days and nobody else is willing to support it yet. No NHL people. No nj people. No other Pitt people.

I'm not saying it's not true, I'm saying one guy who thinks it's been effectively done for 10 days and is all alone needs a little more.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

on ther other side this has been basically done for 10 days and nobody else is willing to support it yet. No NHL people. No nj people. No other Pitt people.

I'm not saying it's not true, I'm saying one guy who thinks it's been effectively done for 10 days and is all alone needs a little more.

no one supported the Kovalchuk story either. it's hard to get Devils news unless it gets handed to you... (like spotting Lemaire walking into the building.) the "where will Kovalchuk go-fest" was in full force when the trade was probably already completed. no one brought up NJ in the media.

When the rumor originally came out, wasn't Lou's "story" The Devils didn't begin a search yet? We all know that doesn't mean anything. This seems to be a case of a rumor making it's run around the internet, and people giving the same exact rumor more validity the 2nd time around because they heard it before. Until I hear there's a press conference with Therien in attendence, call me skeptical.

no one supported the Kovalchuk story either. it's hard to get Devils news unless it gets handed to you... (like spotting Lemaire walking into the building.) the "where will Kovalchuk go-fest" was in full force when the trade was probably already completed. no one brought up NJ in the media.

eventually people supported the kovalchuk thing. That it had truth. This guy says the Devils have had their coaching job settled for 10 days with nobody else even having that inkling.

Otherwise we should believe every rumor reported by 1 source as 100% true. Just like Mottau is all but signed type of thing.

Again, not saying it can't be true just saying it'd be nice to have other people reporting anything similar before 100% knowing it's fact. I don't think wanting more than 1 Twitter guy reporting it is crazy.

I would highly doubt that any of the coaching vacancies would be filled before the Cup Finals are over. Columbus might be the only exception since General Manager Scott Howson made it clear that he would make an announcement within 10 days and that came on Memorial Day. If Michel Therrien is the guy and I am not saying he is not the guy, Lou would have probably made an announcement already, but I think he will do it within reason, meaning after the Finals are over. The fallout from the Martin article might lead to Lou questioning his loyalty to New Jersey, because he might want Lamoriello to rush his search, but I think an announcement is likely to come within a week or two, probably no later than Friday, June 18th. His quietness on the search might be an indication that he is waiting to speak to Haviland and has probably spoken to Muller already amongst other candidates. These next 2-3 weeks should be an interesting roller-coaster with the Devils coaching search leading up to the Draft. If a coach is not hired prior to the draft, I think it will be done the following week leading up to July 1st. But, I will say this I like Paul Martins' tactic and intrigue.

eventually people supported the kovalchuk thing. That it had truth. This guy says the Devils have had their coaching job settled for 10 days with nobody else even having that inkling.

Otherwise we should believe every rumor reported by 1 source as 100% true. Just like Mottau is all but signed type of thing.

Again, not saying it can't be true just saying it'd be nice to have other people reporting anything similar before 100% knowing it's fact. I don't think wanting more than 1 Twitter guy reporting it is crazy.

Not really arguing about that. It's just this "feels" like the Devils. Going back to the original "unnamed team" it felt like the Devils. It could be 100% BS, but if so, they did a great job.

Honestly, I think Hitch would be better. I just can't stand the sight of tired old retreads. Hitch, at least maybe they'd be physical and grindy while being "responsible." With MT, they're just going to hang out at their blue line and in box + 1 in their own end.

This....is a BAD rumor.

If it happens you have to give Therrien a chance. He did have success in Montreal and Pittsburgh. We shall soon find out, but think Lou is still thinking over Hitchcock, Maclean and waiting for the SCF to end to speak with Mike Haviland.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/mottau_hopes_to_re-sign_but_not_even_close_to_doing_so_clarkson_nervous_to_/P225/

Sorry gang. I was out to dinner tonight. I’ve just been catching up on this Therrien tweet, which was written by the guy from insidepittsburghsports.com. He even said he hadn’t confirmed it enough to put it on that site, so that tells you something. That was the site that reported two weeks ago that Therrien was offered the job.

That was not true at the time. Not saying Therrien won’t be the coach. I know that there has been a strong mutual respect between Lamoriello and Therrien and he fits their usual profile.

We’ll have to wait and see. Too late to look into anything now.

Posted by Tom Gulitti on 06/06 at 11:48 PM

Also, the reporting on that site is not from someone who covers the Pens on a day to day basis. I have been told they get things right from time to time, but definitely not 100 percent reliable.

Posted by Tom Gulitti on 06/06 at 11:56 PM

TG's 2 cents. Looks like he'll try to dig into it tomorrow to see what he can find. Does say the guy was wrong on the 26th but doesn't know that the guy isn't right now.

Honestly, I'd love to see a poll of who this board wants to see as a head coach. I know who the board DOESN'T want to see and that appears to be every available coach out there. So let's go. From now on I want people to step out from the shadows and detail who they WANT as coach.

Understanding this is a rumor I want to go on the record as to WHY this would be a good choice.

You do not want to guy who KNOWS success because then he's far more likely to feel he's got a winning formula and try to wedge guys into that mold. When you have a guy who keeps coming close and is never allowed to see the project through you've got a lot of winning attributes already int eh mix.

Julien seemed like he'd be that guy -- but he's not yet. He's still too happy and calm ( :giggle: I wrote clam) and into the old "We gave it our best guys!" kind of horsecrap.

It could well be Michel is right in that same Pat Burns place -- you see every step and see what road to take and when you fail you LEARN -- you never stop seeing a fresh game and fresh strategies. Therrien may be a little young.... but he may just be sick to death of losing and be on that right place to move that final step forward.

In Lou I don't trust -- he makes mistakes but I can see where this one would be coming from and although it is in fact clinging to a search formula - it just might work.

Edited by Pepperkorn

I would be okay with Therrien.

I do not want a guy who has never coached in the NHL before.

This team needs STABILITY. And I have been saying over and over again, it's time to hold the players accountable. It's no secret that this team drives coaches CRAZY. It's been happening since the 03 cup. Look at the core of players that have hung around since then. Maybe they're the problem? These guys don't need a friend. Jacques was too nice. Larry Robinson was too nice and they ate him alive. Claude Julien was too nice and someone tried to take his head off. Maybe it's not a coincidence that Brent Sutter was an a-hole to the players and they were playing better offensively while staying great defensively and actually ALMOST got out of the first round.

I would be okay with Therrien.

I do not want a guy who has never coached in the NHL before.

This team needs STABILITY. And I have been saying over and over again, it's time to hold the players accountable. It's no secret that this team drives coaches CRAZY. It's been happening since the 03 cup. Look at the core of players that have hung around since then. Maybe they're the problem? These guys don't need a friend. Jacques was too nice. Larry Robinson was too nice and they ate him alive. Claude Julien was too nice and someone tried to take his head off. Maybe it's not a coincidence that Brent Sutter was an a-hole to the players and they were playing better offensively while staying great defensively and actually ALMOST got out of the first round.

"Hold the players accountable."

What a generic statement that has very little meaning. The team hasn't been talented enough to say "oh well, clearly, they're just not trying." I'm really sick of that argument, because it's rarely ever true. Rolston isn't going to try harder with a new coach, Gomez wasn't going to either - it's the actual players - very little to do with the coach. I agree TEAMS can lose their direction under a coach (the ever popular - lost the team scenario)

Sutter was an a$$hole, but even worse, players KNEW he was gone in like January of last season - which made it that much harder.

Jacques wasn't that nice to the players either. See Mr. Text Message scratch.

They need a new type of a coach for the new type of league we're in. This isn't 1995, 2000 or 2005. This is 2010, and there's a new way to deal with players - some could even say with kid gloves for the generation that grew up in the politically correct 90s and early 00s. There's something to that.

Straight disciplinarian coaches don't work anymore. And it won't work in an organization that is starting to play favorites to a certain goaltender, when it always used to be about the team. Accountability used to be built into the organization, but it seems to be getting lost.

They need to look at the players they have and realize this team is built around the forwards, not the defense - and for the most part so is the new NHL- and we have forwards capable playing in that league (See Travis, Zach, Jamie, etc) - they need to be let loose fore check wise. We also need to get some defenders in here.

And it won't work in an organization that is starting to play favorites to a certain goaltender, when it always used to be about the team.

It's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but you offer no conclusive, factual points which helps arguments and opinion. You're spinning it off as trying to make others think you know some inside workings of a "shadow government" when it's only your personal opinion. You also avoid answering those who ask you to provide proof and fact to back up your accusations.

It's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but you offer no conclusive, factual points which helps arguments and opinion. You're spinning it off as trying to make others think you know some inside workings of a "shadow government" when it's only your personal opinion. You also avoid answering those who ask you to provide proof and fact to back up your accusations.

I'm not saying I know anything - I'm just saying look back at the years of Brodeur's tantrums, the way this team style has been built around his net, his arrogance in not taking any days off and deciding when he plays and when he doesn't - and his arrogance in defeat usually anyway. I mean I don't care, about some of those things, but it's clear this team is being built around stylistically in getting Marty one more cup and when him and Lou might retire together.

They are just going about it completely the wrong way - in theory if they hire MT.

Edited by HellOnICE