Halak traded to St.Louis

CRASHER

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if they put a call into the Flyers to see about Carter, Giroux or Van Reimsdyke?

Yeah I mean getting any one of those would beat out this package. Eller's a good prospect, one of their top 5 but the other guy I don't think is regarded that high. Did they just not call the Flyers?

I wonder if they put a call into the Flyers to see about Carter, Giroux or Van Reimsdyke?

According to McKenzie, the Flyers Sharks and Bolts were bidding as well. All three you named have more value than Halak however.

Here are the stats for Schultz

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=102243

Looks like he has grinder written all over him if he ever makes the show.

According to McKenzie, the Flyers Sharks and Bolts were bidding as well. All three you named have more value than Halak however.

Yes, but the Flyers are deep enough on offense, and the common wisdom there is that a lack of quality goaltending is keeping them from winning the cup.

Maybe it could have been Halak and a 2nd/1st round pick for Carter.

Well this move will almost certainly aid in the Cryers "not" getting Price now. ALot of speculation around Philly has been they will trade for Price, since the thought was that the Habs would certainly keep Halak. I guess MOntreal isnt ready to give up on Price yet since he is still very young.

But I am glad the Flyers wont get him either... Add with Leighton being a free agent now they really will have to make a move for a goalie...

Yes, but the Flyers are deep enough on offense, and the common wisdom there is that a lack of quality goaltending is keeping them from winning the cup.

Maybe it could have been Halak and a 2nd/1st round pick for Carter.

the flyers cannot afford halak and they would never give up carter for him.

congratulations st. louis, you just got the chance to pay a guy based on 20 games.

Buy low, sell high...

I'm guessing the first call Chris Mason will receive midnight July 1st will be from Voorhees. The second call will be from Arlington, Virginia.

Edited by mdsieve

the flyers cannot afford halak and they would never give up carter for him.

congratulations st. louis, you just got the chance to pay a guy based on 20 games.

Sure but its better than paying Chris Mason the 3.75 he was asking for.

http://twitter.com/andystrickland

Really the Blues picked up a guy who should be their starter for a marginal prospect in Schultz, and a good prospect in Eller. Looking at the blues depth chart up front Eller was probably looked at as expendable if the right deal came around. Today it did.

Wait a minute. Is Halak a UFA or RFA?

RFA

i agree that eller is expendable and that st. louis certainly has good reason to make this deal. i would just rather gamble on a josh harding or someone like that. that player may not have been available but there's usually some goaltending lurking out there for cheap.

i agree that eller is expendable and that st. louis certainly has good reason to make this deal. i would just rather gamble on a josh harding or someone like that. that player may not have been available but there's usually some goaltending lurking out there for cheap.

Harding may have been easier to pry away, the price certainly would have been lower, but he also comes with a worse track record at the same age. Now its up to management to evaluate whether Harding's save % in two of his three years under .910 is due to him or due to the quality of chances that the Wild were giving up over that time.

If im still in the market for a goalie I suppose he is the top choice for price controlled guys. He has nhl games under his belt as opposed to someone like Cory Schnieder who is a year behind with only 5 nhl games to his name.

But if your a team with playoff aspirations as the Blues are, I think you look towards the guy with more experience to help carry you there. Now that Halak is gone it certainly leaves the rest of the teams with goaltending dilemmas in a tough spot. The Sharks, Flyers, and Sens are all left with the leftovers.

Another quick thought. Perhaps the Habs salary situation dictated that they couldnt take a roster player back. They have to sign or replace Plekanec, and resign price which will eat up a large chunk of the available cap space. Leaves them 6 spots after that to be filled with cheap contracts.

Another quick thought. Perhaps the Habs salary situation dictated that they couldnt take a roster player back. They have to sign or replace Plekanec, and resign price which will eat up a large chunk of the available cap space. Leaves them 6 spots after that to be filled with cheap contracts.

they wouldn't want a big roster player back, certainly. all they have to do is sign price cheap for one year and wait for that hamrlik contract to expire. then hopefully (for them) re-sign markov. if they do this, they can still afford plekanec.

i doubt someone like giroux or van riemsdyk was available.

they wouldn't want a big roster player back, certainly. all they have to do is sign price cheap for one year and wait for that hamrlik contract to expire. then hopefully (for them) re-sign markov. if they do this, they can still afford plekanec.

i doubt someone like giroux or van riemsdyk was available.

Price made 2.2m last year, I doubt he is looking at a pay cut. But he is the only RFA that made over 1m last year. Guys like Lapierre and Pyatt will not command much more than they are already making.

I agree, no way the Flyers moved someone like JVR or Giroux, they are far to valuable given their age and salary level vs production.

what a great way to say thank you to a guy who carried you on his back; send his ass to the sh!ttiest city in USA.

I was unaware the blues now play in Youngstown Ohio.

The elephant in this room is... where is Halak's head at? If he's thinking of leaving the league, and the Habs would have a better sense of this than anyone else, they made out like bandits. Especially when they trade him somewhere "not so attractive."

and Hudler sets precendence for arbitration rights meaning nothing re: a playing packing his bags.

I don't think this is a good trade for Montreal, but it seems that they have basically conceded they won't sign Plekanec either. On Twitter AproBasu, Gautier said : "We think Lars Eller is very close to the NHL and he can help in the success of the Mtl Canadiens as of next season".

They (Montreal) never talked contract with Halak, and Price almost certainly won't equal Halak's postseason spectacle. They are setting themsleves up for deep dissapointment I think. I know a few Canadiens fans, and I feel bad for them today.

The elephant in this room is... where is Halak's head at? If he's thinking of leaving the league, and the Habs would have a better sense of this than anyone else, they made out like bandits. Especially when they trade him somewhere "not so attractive."

and Hudler sets precendence for arbitration rights meaning nothing re: a playing packing his bags.

i doubt very much that he is thinking about leaving the NHL. according to TSN, they never even talked to halak about a new contract.