Devils reacquire Arnott from Nashville

reefgeek

If we managed to keep him, I would think:

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Elias-Arnott-Kovalchuk

Clarkson-Zubrus-Rolston

4th line

Elias/Arnott/Kovy is A-Line 2.0. That with ZZ Pops is a lethal top 2 lines. Also wouldn't mind seeing Tedenby or someone moved to play with Parise and Zajac...

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we could have four centers next year, Zajac, Arnott, Josefson, Henrique. Josefson and Henrique would be the third and fourth line centers, and at least they would have two veteran centers to work with them. i am not sure if zajac had a real center work with him

Arnott can't win a face off. Remember this as the year goes on.

Here's how Arnott's faceoff numbers from last year stack up with those of our centers.

Zajac - 52.9%

Niedermayer - 50.6%

Pelley - 49.5%

Arnott - 48.8

Zubrus - 48.5%

Elias - 44.9%

I guess the good news here is that at least Elias won't be sucking it up in the circle anymore.

Anyway, I have an overwhelming desire to give Lou a high-five right now. I'll hold off though until I see the name of Rolston, Langenbrunner and/or Kaberle show up on the Devils transaction sheet.

If we managed to keep him, I would think:

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Elias-Arnott-Kovalchuk

Clarkson-Zubrus-Rolston

4th line

That's interesting. I would love that 2nd line. But Kovy at RW would be an annoying adjustment.

Edited by ben00rs

That's interesting. I would love that 2nd line. But Kovy at RW would be an annoying adjustment.

I wouldn't even call them the second line, it would be lines 1 and 1A (ironic considering Elias and Arnott on it).Also, if it bugs you, peg Elias on the right and Kovy on the left. I don't think it makes too much of a difference with the talent levels involved. At least, I don't think it should. Swapping between wings shouldn't be as big an adjustment as going from wing to center.

Of course, I'm far less optimistic that we re-sign Kovy now. I think Lou gives it the old college try, but it seems very difficult with Rolston and Pandolfo's contracts on the books, and with Martin or an equal replacement being an absolute necessity.

Edited by thelastonealive

I wouldn't even call them the second line, it would be lines 1 and 1A (ironic considering Elias and Arnott on it).Also, if it bugs you, peg Elias on the right and Kovy on the left. I don't think it makes too much of a difference with the talent levels involved. At least, I don't think it should. Swapping between wings shouldn't be as big an adjustment as going from wing to center.

Of course, I'm far less optimistic that we re-sign Kovy now. I think Lou gives it the old college try, but it seems very difficult with Rolston and Pandolfo's contracts on the books, and with Martin or an equal replacement being an absolute necessity.

Putting Elias on the right side and Kovy on the left leaves both guys playing their off wing. That will make breaking out through the wings a disaster, neither guy has easy plays off the boards. We saw this briefly with rolston playing on kovy's right side, and it was interesting to say the least.

I'm not enthused, but at least it's just a one-year stopgap, most likely.

This sums up my feelings about this as well.

For some strange reason, when I read about Arnott coming back, that "touch of gray" commercial keeps popping up in my head.rolleyes.gif

This sums up my feelings about this as well.

For some strange reason, when I read about Arnott coming back, that "touch of gray" commercial keeps popping up in my head.rolleyes.gif

I think Arnott will bring back a lot of what we had when Randy McKay was here. I'm not counting on him for scoring.

Halischuk wasn't anything special while he was here, but I am seriously getting worried about our future if Kovy doesn't sign. A Rangers fan said it pretty well:

They are still depleting the system though, trading away Bergfors, Oduya, Cormier, Matt Halishuk, and 2010 1st, 2011 2nd. All for two months of Kovalchuk and the soon-to-be 36 year old Jason Arnott.

Cormier and Halischuk are question marks, but Oduya and Bergfors are good players, and who knows what the 2010 and 2011 picks would have gotten us (another Zajac? Brodeur replacement? etc). If Kovy doesn't sign and Arnott turns into Rolston 2.0, this team becomes a very old team who in 3-4 years will have lost much of its core without much in the pipeline.

Josefson, Tedenby, Henrique and Urbom say "Hi!"

Yes, I've already factored in Josefson and Tedenby, who I believe will make the team. Henrique and Urbom are both big question marks. Regardless, even if all four of these players make the team and are, in fact, good (which is pretty unlikely that all four would be), who else do we have? Those 4 are literally our entire system except for Corrente and a few other lesser names. And these 4 will be required to fill in for departing players such as Langs, Elias, etc. Not to mention that gaping hole that Brodeur leaves.

The last time Arnott was on the team we went to the cup finals two years in a row. :whistling:

Actually the last time Arnott was on the team he got his ass traded away for pouting over the loss of his beloved A-Line. The line that had saw a dramatic drop in production over the course of the 01-02 season.

So its obvious Lou wants to win and win now. He keeps on trading away draft picks and prospects. Halischuk will be a very good player in the NHL but we had an abundance or wingers in lowell so we could afford to trade him away. I guarantee we'll see bergfors and Halischuk do well and see them on teams deep into the playoffs. Just good players.

Arnott is obviously a possible rental player again as he is a UFA after this season. He is 36 years old and hopefully can stay healthy.

I remember when we signed Rolston everyone had mixed feelings or was excited for him coming back, wont be surprised if the same fans want Arnott out of town like rolston If Arnott does not score 25 goals by december.

Devils still need to improve on defense so we'll see if lou is finished.

Arnott's 4 million cap hit could keep kovy away BUT maybe Kovy sees this move and he takes less for 1 year for another chance at a cup in NJ. a line of Arnott elias and kovalchuk would be awesome. parise zajac and langenbrunner must stay together. If you saw the videos on NJD TV Lou said Jamie is the Devils captain and will be our captain. the players all respect langenbrunner as their captain.

Halischuk wasn't anything special while he was here, but I am seriously getting worried about our future if Kovy doesn't sign. A Rangers fan said it pretty well:

Cormier and Halischuk are question marks, but Oduya and Bergfors are good players, and who knows what the 2010 and 2011 picks would have gotten us (another Zajac? Brodeur replacement? etc). If Kovy doesn't sign and Arnott turns into Rolston 2.0, this team becomes a very old team who in 3-4 years will have lost much of its core without much in the pipeline.

Most Ranger fans (especially considering I got $5 on the source) are retards.

Oduya is a pipeline player? As is, they have too many defensemen in the system. They have enough C prospects (and remember, these same Ranger fans were saying Cormier should be sentenced to death for what happened... when he was Devils property, now he's important), and wing, well, we'll see. There's Tedenby and then we'll see if any of these other guys pan out.

BTW, again, on the Ranger fans are retards line... alot of these same people were bashing Devils fans for saying Halischuk had any potential other than a bottom six grinder.

Honestly, they can go fvck off, because they have a 6 player team and are cap-bound into oblivion, when all of their supposed great young players and prospects will go RFA. and who knows what's happening with the CBA, maybe there will be earlier arbitration rights, who knows...

Yeah, the link to a Morman choir singing "Hallelujah" was a bit discerning. Still, even though I think the Devils gave up too much, he'll be a quality second line center for this team

They're idiots too. Everyone knows what Jason Arnott is. He's a slowish C, with some size, that will occasionally use it, will play 60 games and put up decent point totals in those 60 games.

the difference is, they got something BETTER than that for a few years, and when he regressed back to norm (including personality wise, he seems to burn out after 3-4 years with one team)... now he's fvcking awful and it's awesome that they got a winger they can't currently use and a deferred draft pick.

I guess they don't remember 2008 too well. I guess the lacking of Hamilton Preds onsales doesn't clue them into the direction of the team. They just lost Arnott and Hamhuis for air, and it's not like they're going to spend any of this newfound cap space beyond the minimum.

I remember when we signed Rolston everyone had mixed feelings or was excited for him coming back, wont be surprised if the same fans want Arnott out of town like rolston If Arnott does not score 25 goals by december.

I'll give 'em til mid January.

Arnott's 4 million cap hit could keep kovy away BUT maybe Kovy sees this move and he takes less for 1 year for another chance at a cup in NJ.

this. I'm sure Lou will be sellin' it.

Work your magic Lou!

Well I was at my sister's college graduation yesterday and I was sitting in the bleachers when I remarked to my brother that I wanted the Devs to sign Kovy so bad. Right after I said that I put my head down in angst and closed my eyes. I then opened them to see the number 17 on the on the bleacher right in front of my eyes. IT'S GOT TO BE A SIGN! I'm calling it: KOVY will sign with the Devils!

Of course right after I saw the 17, believe it or not a Russian guy showed up and sat right on the number...hmmmmmmm.