Devils reacquire Arnott from Nashville

reefgeek

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen, I personally don't have an issue with Jamie staying and remainging captain. I wasn't even going to reply to this until I read, "If any of you think Parise can fill Langenbrunner's role, than your a horrible judge of character."

Care to let us in on what you've uncovered? Is Parise hanging with Joran Van Der Sloot?

It wasn't a slight to Parise, but those who have been great captains have a short fuse. Parise doesn't have that chip on his shoulder that other captains have. Parise would be like a Toews type captain, who leads only by example. That's great and everything, but he sure as hell isn't a Scott Stevens, Mike Richards or Langenbrunner, who seem to not worry about what others think of them, especially if a point needs to be made. I'm making assumptions on their personalities, but everything we say here are assumptions. These are obviously feelings based on what I've seen and read about the way these players act in interviews and games.

Edited by The Facepainter

If the rest of the team felt the way most of you feel about Langenbrunner, why is he going to be captain again?

I'll actually be surprised if he is.

I'm actually a Langenbruner fan, but I think his time with us is up and we should get someone good for him while we can.

Does anyone else have a really strange feeling that we will be seeing a return of Scott Niedermayer as well, especially if Martin walks?

He said he wanted to play with his brother, which he did. He said he wanted to play in his home, Vancouver. He won the Gold medal for the Olympics there.

Why wouldn't he come home to retire as a Devil? Especially if Lou signs Rob for one more year too.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

tried to read all the responses to this thread:

it's an excellent move. i've been saying for months that halischuk has been passed over and should be disposed of ASAP - this is an excellent instance of trading up. halischuk's a nice player and he might turn into something, but he's small and can't stay healthy, not the most promising combination on a team that has plenty of smaller forwards who can play on the bottom 6. a 2nd round pick in 2011 is probably worth a 3rd round pick in 2010. while i don't love dealing more picks, a 2nd round pick is most likely to make the NHL between 4-6 years after he is drafted, so that's taking away from the 2014-2017 devils.

furthermore, it buys a year for josefson and henrique to develop. it's not a stopgap like brendan morrison where you just hope that he gets on the correct side of percentages or somehow recovers some magic. who knows, maybe arnott has a decent season and he signs another 1 year deal. this is one case where we are actually taking advantage of no-trade clauses - there's no way we get jason arnott for that little if he doesn't have an NMC.

Does anyone else have a really strange feeling that we will be seeing a return of Scott Niedermayer as well, especially if Martin walks?

Strange? That'd be the most predictable thing Lou's ever done. Laughable how he says we're not living in the past, that's all you've been doing for years!

Strange? That'd be the most predictable thing Lou's ever done. Laughable how he says we're not living in the past, that's all you've been doing for years!

maybe he should've looked into all the other centers on one-year deals who could've been acquired for a bottom 6 forward prospect and a mediocre draft pick in next year's draft. could've gotten never-devil michal nylander for that price, i guess.

maybe he should've looked into all the other centers on one-year deals who could've been acquired for a bottom 6 forward prospect and a mediocre draft pick in next year's draft. could've gotten never-devil michal nylander for that price, i guess.

I don't disagree with the Arnott trade itself, just the philosophy as a whole. I mean Mogilny, Holik, Malakhov, Lemaire, Rolston all worked out great didn't they? How many more guys does he have to bring back just because they were once Devils?

I don't disagree with the Arnott trade itself, just the philosophy as a whole. I mean Mogilny, Holik, Malakhov, Lemaire, Rolston all worked out great didn't they? How many more guys does he have to bring back just because they were once Devils?

But how many big centers that can put up 60 points were available for a 3rd liner and a pick?

how well did rachunek, asham, vishnevski, zubrus, sutter, and mcgillis all work out? you know, the guys that were brought in over the same time period who weren't ex-devils.

Should be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully Langs is shipped out next.

Lags is only a 2.5 cap hit; About half the time he plays more than he's worth. Why are we still talking about trading him?

You aren't going to get a bargain like that for players out there now.

There might be some mind games behind what Lou is letting everyone hear in the media, but I doubt that he's bluffing about Lags.

A day later I am still excited over this trade. At age 35 I still believe Arnott has plenty in the tank and will have a good season here in New Jersey. Arnott will be better and do better than Rolston IMO. Arnott has more to give right now and help this Devils team at center where they have been lacking since Arnott left. I am still believing in an awesome new revamped "A-line II" with Elias - Arnott - Kovalchuk. That line will be sick.

Edited by SatansDevils

I actually original had it written down as "Does anyone else have a really strong feeling..." but I changed it to 'strange' because I didn't want to seem too cocky.

A day later I am still excited over this trade. At age 35 I still believe Arnott has plenty in the tank and will have a good season here in New Jersey. Arnott will be better and do better than Rolston IMO. Arnott has more to give right now and help this Devils team at center where they have been lacking since Arnott left. I am still believing in an awesome new revamped "A-line II" with Elias - Arnott - Kovalchuk. That line will be sick.

I'm extatic about this trade too. Honestly I think he'll have more of an impact than any of the Devil's recent aquisitions. He's big and physical, he can stilly tally some points, and most importantly, he's a center. If Lou was able to sign Kovalchuk now, this team would definitally be pretty well rounded up front. Tedenby and Josefson could also become key pieces to this team. But we'll see, there's a lot of possibilities.

But Manta, referring to Facepainter's post: As much as you blame Lemaire, I'm sure you would agree that Parise has better character than Langs?

No. Based on what? When Zach wins a few cups and is named USA team Captain we can discuss.

But John MacLean has the magic potion in a bottle that's gonna make Langen-ginna ten years younger, have character and be an actual team player.... ask Manta :lol:

Its a little magic potion called: Respect

how well did rachunek, asham, vishnevski, zubrus, sutter, and mcgillis all work out? you know, the guys that were brought in over the same time period who weren't ex-devils.

You are now putting Zubrus in the "failures" category?