Amid crises, Obama declares war -- on Arizona

Amid crises, Obama declares war -- on Arizona

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/Amid-crises_-Obama-declares-war----on-Arizona-96839529.html#ixzz0rb9vEbYf

The Obama administration has a lot of fights on its hands. Putting aside real wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, there's the battle against leaking oil in the Gulf, the struggle against 9.7 percent unemployment across the country, and clashes over the president's agenda on Capitol Hill. Despite all that, the White House has found time to issue a new declaration of war, this time against an unlikely enemy: the state of Arizona.

The Justice Department is preparing to sue Arizona over its new immigration law. The president has stiffed Gov. Jan Brewer's call for meaningful assistance in efforts to secure the border. And the White House has accused Arizona's junior senator, Republican Jon Kyl, of lying about an Oval Office discussion with the president over comprehensive immigration reform. Put them all together, and you have an ugly state of affairs that's getting uglier by the day.

The article doesn't say it, but I'm curious as to what part of the law the Justice Department is claiming is unenforcable/unconstitutional/whatever, cause the law is multi-faceted and while some parts of it are appaling, some parts of it are not so much.

Bizarre and embarassing that not only did the state of AZ not know (if they claim the Hillary Clinton interview is the first they've heard of it and that is true), but Obama making promises to send aid and then just steadfastly refusing because it allegedly conflicts with his interest of sweeping immigration reform.

Add Nebraska to Obama's hit list.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/22/nebraska-immigration-law_n_620528.html

FREMONT, Neb. — This small Nebraska meatpacking town has joined Arizona at the center of a national debate about illegal immigration after voters approved a ban on hiring or renting property to illegal immigrants, but an expected court challenge could keep the measure from ever taking effect.

The American Civil Liberties Union already has promised to file a lawsuit to block enforcement of the proposal roughly 57 percent of Fremont voters supported Monday.

"In a community of 25,000, it's going to be hard to take on the whole country, and it will be costly to do so," said Fremont City Councilman Scott Getzschman, who opposed the measure but said city leaders would support the results.

Fremont's vote is the latest chapter in the tumult over illegal immigration across the country, including a recently passed Arizona law that will require police investigating another incident or crime to ask people about their immigration status if there's a "reasonable suspicion" they are in the country illegally.

The Fremont measure will require would-be renters to apply for a license from the city. Officials must refuse to issue a license to applicants found to be in the country illegally. The ordinance also requires businesses to use the federal E-Verify database to ensure employees are allowed to work.

I see how the end result can be troubling but as far as I can see, these measures are simply requiring compliance with existing laws, albeit upping the stakes for non-compliance. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

I see how the end result can be troubling but as far as I can see, these measures are simply requiring compliance with existing laws, albeit upping the stakes for non-compliance. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

I agree. It's hard for me to fathom backing the individuals who are breaking the law solely by being here in the first place.

The article doesn't say it, but I'm curious as to what part of the law the Justice Department is claiming is unenforcable/unconstitutional/whatever, cause the law is multi-faceted and while some parts of it are appaling, some parts of it are not so much.

My guess is that the position is that only the federal government has the power to enforce immigration laws, and that Arizona's law subverts that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.