Scott Niedermayer retiring

thelastonealive

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn...wanted one last year with him here, just so it would be less awkward if/when the devils try to retire his number

If you want awkward retirement, then how about those bobbleheads they gave out of Daneyko when his # was retired? I do not remember him looking like a member of a boy band.

I do not think this will hurt his chances of his # being retired here in NJ.

This really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

If anyone caught NHL LIVE a few weeks back they had Nieds on and they flat out asked him what he was planning to do... and his reaction was actually really somber. He didn't come right out and say it, but you could tell he was completely ready to retire.

A lot of people forget Scott's SHG in Game 6 of the 2000 Finals. If it wasn't for that, the whole series could've ended differently.

We'll miss ya Scott, one of the classiest guys to ever play the game.

Edited by puckrock

If you want awkward retirement, then how about those bobbleheads they gave out of Daneyko when his # was retired? I do not remember him looking like a member of a boy band.

I do not think this will hurt his chances of his # being retired here in NJ.

Fair point, haha, those were...certainly interesting..

Has it ever occured where two teams have retired the same player? Just pure speculation on my end, but I feel like the Ducks will want to retire his number as well...and if I recall correctly, lou seemed pretty intent on retiring his number.

Hats off to a great career.

Mike

A lot of people forget Scott's SHG in Game 6 of the 2000 Finals. If it wasn't for that, the whole series could've ended differently.

I'll never forget that goal. I think I jumped throught the ceiling when he scored that one.

ONe of my favorite players. I hated that he went to the Ducks but I can't blame him since it was for family.

Another hero from the past hanging his skates. Devils and Ducks fans will surely miss him, just like the entire NHL. Few won as much as him, he can say he played a complete career. Thanks for all those years, Scott! See you in the rafters someday.

Retiring

You can start the countdown on two fronts for Scott Niedermayer-- his election into the Hockey Hall of Fame and the retiring of No. 27 by the Devils.

Niedermayer is announcing his retirement as an NHL player today and Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello called it a loss for hockey.

"He's a special player. The league will miss him," Lamoriello said. "He's a tremendous role model. I have the highest respect for him as a person, player and professional.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=325372

Official (unless... he changes his mind)

Niedermayer was my favorite Devil growing up (I still have his jersey). Still kind of sad to see this happen with a team other than the Devils, but he never really fit in here with Lou and the "system," not too surprising he moved on. He's had one hell of a career, a first ballot Hall of Famer no doubt, I'll cheer for him when the Devils eventually decide to retire his number.

I hope the Devs retire his number first thing this season. No need to wait, no need to let another Devil wear #27, ever. Thanks for everything, Scott. LETS GO DEVILS!

While I'd like to see it happen, unfortunately I could see some of our less than stellar fans booing him.

I will never forget the end to end rush against Detroit in 95, or the short handed goal in Game 6 against Dallas!

Congratulations Mr. Niedermayer on one fantastic career.

27 Will go up, just not this year.