15 Years Ago Tonight

Devil Dan 56

15 years ago tonight, the arena in the swamp erupted, the little team that couldn't finally did, and the Mickey Mouse Organization was officially gone...

Go ahead, take some time to enjoy every second of it.

I know someone on the board uploads all of these onto Youtube, but I forget who. Gotta say man, you do an awesome job getting these together.

Man it's amazing what was allowed in those days. That hook by Detroit at 2:35 would have been the easiest call of the year for officials these days.

That's how I always feel when I watch pre-lockout hockey. So much hooking and holding...mission accomplished by the league I guess

That's how I always feel when I watch pre-lockout hockey. So much hooking and holding...mission accomplished by the league I guess

I'm probably one of the few that preferred it the old way. Seemed to be a lot more emotion back then as well.

15 years ago tonight, I was at Continental Arena, maybe it was called Brendon Byrne Arena, can't remember anyway I was with my youngest son then 31 years old. We hadn't missed a game during the regular season and the playoffs that year and here we were to see the sweep by the Devils over the Octopus Red Wings. Who would have thought. How exciting being at a Stanley Cup final game and your team wins. We have repeated the same in next two Devils cup wins. Very thrilling to be at. Even the parade in the parking lot. Fond memories.

15 years ago tonight, I was at Continental Arena, maybe it was called Brendon Byrne Arena, can't remember anyway I was with my youngest son then 31 years old

How f'ing old are you? I know i'm one of the "older" regulars here (which at 36, makes me feel REALLY old), but maybe we should start calling you "Gramps" :P

I was 16, and paid a pretty penny to have someone drop me off at the Sheridan to pick up my ticket (no stubhub back then). I remember thinking that I wasted my money when the Wings went up 2-1. Absolutely amazing. I'm surprised they don't play the clip of Peluso crying on the SC Playoff commercials.

15 years ago tonight, I was 21 and performing in a drum and bugle corps competition in Waterbury, CT. Of the 5 groups competing, 4 were from New Jersey. After the competition ended, there were pockets of people all over the parking lot, huddled around cars listening to the game. I remember when the Devils scored the 5th goal, the lot erupted as if we were inside the arena. Then as the clock counted down to zero, I was on a borrowed cell phone to my brother at home. He described every bit of the ceremony to me while a massive party reveled deep into the night. It was about 2am, when the Waterbury cops finally showed up, wondering why this sliver of Connecticut was annexed by hockey fans from the Garden State.

An amazing experience that I'll never ever forget.

Edited by twillms73

and the Mickey Mouse Organization was officially gone...

Unless you're a beat writer for the Devils :lol:

Oh ya, I also got offered my first beer at the game by the guy sitting next to us. I was 15 at the time, a little too young to figure out my Dad probably wouldn't have cared if I had said yes to just 1.

Oh yeah...15 years ago. I remember the day quite fondly. So much anticipation...so much happiness...such a feeling of "wow, never thought I'd see this". So much celebration. My 25th birthday!

Thankfully, I spent it and Game 3 at the Meadowlands. What I wouldn't give to get another crack at a moment like that...one of my best memories.

Oh yeah...15 years ago. I remember the day quite fondly. So much anticipation...so much happiness...such a feeling of "wow, never thought I'd see this". So much celebration. My 25th birthday!

Thankfully, I spent it and Game 3 at the Meadowlands. What I wouldn't give to get another crack at a moment like that...one of my best memories.

That means ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

i hadn't really been a devils or hockey fan for very long at all - '94 was what got me started. as a result, '95 didn't have that huge an impact - i didn't realize what huge underdogs the devils were to the wings.

after the game, i decided to swill soda out of a champagne glass. i'm not exactly sure why.

I was 15. As a Devils fan from New York, it was an amazing moment considering the unending crap I received from all the Ranger fans the year before. I was the only Devils fan in my entire school at the time, so the Rags fans were all over me, shoving the paper in my face when they won the cup 2 weeks after beating us. That 95 team wasn't supposed to get past Neely and the Bruins, was supposed to be crushed by the super offense of the Pens, and couldn't possibly handle the Legion of Doom. The Wings were gonna destroy 'em easy.

I bought a 5 dollar rag of a Devil cap at a convenience store in the summer of 94, proudly wore it all year in 95, and was wearing the night they won it all. And it still sits under my TV to this day, haha. It's gross now, haha.

I know 2000 and 2003 were more dramatic (Double OT in 2000, Rupp in Game 7 in 2003) but 1995 will always be my favorite.

Man it's amazing what was allowed in those days. That hook by Detroit at 2:35 would have been the easiest call of the year for officials these days.

Also amazing how humongous Brodeur's blocker looks compared to today's.

My dad managed to score 2 tickets from a friend... maybe 5-10 rows back from the glass. My mom managed to get a single ticket from a friend too, sitting right behind Rolston's family. (At this point my dad split season tickets with another family of 6... we had 6 seats and they got that game.) Before the game we went to "Bazookas" (Hooters clone in Seacaucus), and the Red Wings were loading onto their buses from the hotel in that strip mall. My mom tried to take a photo of me with Scotty Bowman. Once he saw my Devils jersey he flat out refused.

She helped me make an awesome fake cup, my dad had a broom. The next morning we get a call from my uncle telling us to pick up the NY Times... there's me screaming holding up the fake cup and my dad waving the broom (right below an article about the Nashville scare...) Was a pretty friggen' awesome experience. Bringing back some great memories.

I didn't get into the team until '94 either. Didn't know much about hockey, but I knew New York beating New Jersey didn't sit well with me.

I went to my first two games in '95, got hometown hero Jimmy Dowd's autograph before the second of those games and watched them hoist the Cup on a tiny black & white TV in the corner of the lobby in Granny's Chicken Palace in the mountains of North Carolina. I was 12 at the time and my boy scouts troop was staying there overnight in the banquet hall (a troop leader's parents owned the place and, yes, a fried chicken restaurant had a banquet hall) the night before starting a two-week camping trip in the mountains. After the restaurant closed, one of the other kids ran around the place in his underwear for a few hours screaming "HOW SWEEP IT IS! LEGION OF BROOM!"

At the camp, I'll never forget a kid from one of the North Carolina troops coming up to us, since we were the only kids there from Jersey, and saying "We heard your boys won the Cup. What in the hell is the Cup?" It made me chuckle at the time. It made me cry when the Hurricanes won it all a decade later.