Martin will test free agent market

nyrsuck26

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/devils_martin_will_become_free_agent_yn9IVgpoY7mpE8cIuFwYkK

The Devils' top defenseman, Paul Martin, has told The Post that he definitely will test the market as an unrestricted free agent a week from today.

Martin, whose agent is expected to meet with Lou Lamoriello at the draft in Los Angeles this weekend, said he wants to see what interest there is around the league.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have the Devils ever signed any of their own players who actually tested the market (and NOT players who were headed to unrestricted free agency)?

The real problem here is that when players test the market they realize just how "greedy" they can be. Martin is going to get a stupid contract from someone and the Devils won't be able to match if they plan on siging anyone else. If he tests the market he is all but gone. Oh great...Manta is going to kill all of us. :P

Have the Devils ever signed any of their own players who actually tested the market (and NOT players who were headed to unrestricted free agency)?

No, but the Kool-aid drinkers will make you believe that the Devils just didn't want him and that he is trash since he decided to test the market.

The real problem here is that when players test the market they realize just how "greedy" they can be. Martin is going to get a stupid contract from someone and the Devils won't be able to match if they plan on siging anyone else. If he tests the market he is all but gone. Oh great...Manta is going to kill all of us. :P

If someone offered you $5 million instead of $3 million, you wouldn't take it? Yeah you might lose more, but you can do more stuff with the $5 million.

No, but the Kool-aid drinkers will make you believe that the Devils just didn't want him and that he is trash since he decided to test the market.

1) Elias resigned as a UFA.

2) There is a difference between 'didn't want him' and 'didn't want to overpay for him or couldn't afford him'

If someone offered you $5 million instead of $3 million, you wouldn't take it? Yeah you might lose more, but you can do more stuff with the $5 million.

Agreed. If the Devils forget about Martin and focus on a few other UFA defensemen, they will be fine. If they wait for Martin, they are in trouble.

2) There is a difference between 'didn't want him' and 'didn't want to overpay for him or couldn't afford him'

Agreed. If the Devils forget about Martin and focus on a few other UFA defensemen, they will be fine. If they wait for Martin, they are in trouble.

Did Elias actually say or indicate he was going to test the market. From what I remember he never really considered other teams, but I could be wrong on that.

Absolutely. No one argues that the Devils didn't want Martin for the right price. There's just a point where the GM is gonna let a player know that they just can't give him what he wants.

Not exactly what I meant by "greedy" in quotes.

I think Elias did this, but was able to sign for less than the open market because he wanted to stay in NJ. But Lou never gives a blank check, he has a set amount of what he thinks is fair, but agents will always use as leverage in negotiations with other teams.

I don't blame Martin, it's his agents job to get the best offer. I think Lou is very, very fair in his offers, but like I said earlier will not give a blank check. Holik, Gomez et. al were all given fair market offers, only to find dumb GM's willing to overpay. Lou doesn't overpay.

I have confidence that Lou will find a way for him to stay.

Martin is a really good defenseman and to be honest I think he kind of gets taken for granted by some fans. With that being said, if he gets a stupid contract offer from some team then it's just best to part ways. I understand that good d-men are at a premium but the Devils can't afford to severly overpay for his services. He would be a big loss for sure but this team isn't winning anything with him anyway as long as the same cast of characters is going to be around. Retaining Martin makes the team that much better but what does it really accomplish in the long run? We'll be overpaying for a maybe/maybe not #1 defenseman. Save the cap space. Lou will be forced to do something about the D because I don't think trying to make it through another season with this defense minus Martin is gonna go over well. Fwiw I think he already has 1 foot out the door but we'll see what happens I guess.

I don't blame Martin, it's his agents job to get the best offer. I think Lou is very, very fair in his offers, but like I said earlier will not give a blank check. Holik, Gomez et. al were all given fair market offers, only to find dumb GM's willing to overpay. Lou doesn't overpay.

I have confidence that Lou will find a way for him to stay.

I agree, Martin has done nor will he do anything wrong. The Devils can't afford to give him what he can get. The fact that he is testing the FA market makes it seem unlikely he'll be back considering that he is the best D-man out there at 5-6 mill.

I have a feeling Lou has told Martin that he just can't afford him at this point and that's why Martin has told the media he's "definitely" going to test the free agent market. He is much more enthusiastic about the UFA market than he was a couple weeks ago.

That said, you never know.

Edited by ben00rs

Did Elias actually say or indicate he was going to test the market. From what I remember he never really considered other teams, but I could be wrong on that.

From what I remember, he turned down some nice money from the Rags. Maybe someone else on the board has better insider info, because I'm not sure how many teams were interested and to what extent, but I'd figure there was some big interest in him.

I do remember being surprised he re-signed for so long.

Martin is a really good defenseman and to be honest I think he kind of gets taken for granted by some fans. With that being said, if he gets a stupid contract offer from some team then it's just best to part ways. I understand that good d-men are at a premium but the Devils can't afford to severly overpay for his services. He would be a big loss for sure but this team isn't winning anything with him anyway as long as the same cast of characters is going to be around. Retaining Martin makes the team that much better but what does it really accomplish in the long run? We'll be overpaying for a maybe/maybe not #1 defenseman. Save the cap space. Lou will be forced to do something about the D because I don't think trying to make it through another season with this defense minus Martin is gonna go over well. Fwiw I think he already has 1 foot out the door but we'll see what happens I guess.

There is always a premium on quality defensemen because frankly there aren't that many. We never got over Rafalski leaving, so Martin could really hurt.

There isn't much out there to replace him.

Well Lou, thats the green light to go get Kaberle.

They are two different defensemen. Martin is a great shutdown defender who can also move the puck while Kaberle can only move the puck. If anything this is the green light to yes, go try to get Kaberle but most importantly in my opinion get a guy like Michalek.

Luckily the draft is at 4 and we may see some trades and hopefully Kaberle finally gets moved so the speculation can just stop.

There is always a premium on quality defensemen because frankly there aren't that many. We never got over Rafalski leaving, so Martin could really hurt.

There isn't much out there to replace him.

It's true that he is the best FA defender. But that alone does not qualify him for the 5.5 he's gonna get. the Devs need a d-man but they're better off trading for one, preferably a guy with a shot who can play the point even if he sacrifices a little bit of D.

They are two different defensemen. Martin is a great shutdown defender who can also move the puck while Kaberle can only move the puck. If anything this is the green light to yes, go try to get Kaberle but most importantly in my opinion get a guy like Michalek.

Luckily the draft is at 4 and we may see some trades and hopefully Kaberle finally gets moved so the speculation can just stop.

I expect a lot of cap related moves tonight. I think the only team that can deliever what Burke wants is Tampa.

Kaberle is much better than Martin offensively, which is why i want him. This team is going in a much more offensive direction, and i think a defender like Kaberle is what this team could use. He would be our equivalent of Mike Green.

I certainly would like a more offensive defender on the team but you are mistaken if you think this team is headed in an "offensive" direction. This team is gonna be just as defensive as always this year with J Mac at the helm. According to reports you might even see more trapping than usual as of late.

o and Kaberle doesn't have the offensive upside a Mike Green has. Green scored 19 goals this year, Kaberle will be lucky if he gets 8 next year.

Edited by ben00rs

It's true that he is the best FA defender. But that alone does not qualify him for the 5.5 he's gonna get. the Devs need a d-man but they're better off trading for one, preferably a guy with a shot who can play the point even if he sacrifices a little bit of D.

Except in rare cases (like Elias and Brodeur), you're pretty much always have to overpay if you ever want to sign any free agents. That's just how it works.

He logs a lot of minutes & will be in high demand for a team that needs this.

I doubt Lou told him what the team can afford. Lou always tells his players to see what's there & then to call him if they are interested in what the Devs can pay.

Martin is a fine defenseman & makes good decisions with the puck. Unfortunately for him, most of us hoped he would fill the Nieds/Rafi role, but it seems just outside of his Offensive skill level.

A #2 d-man is always desired. So I expect he can easily get 4-5 M a year. It just depends on the # of years.

Basically I expect #7 to be available in training camp in September :(

What's the difference between the two?

Elias and Langs both re-signed as UFA's in '06. Rafalski re-signed when he got to UFA right after the lockout post-Nieds family fiasco. Salvador re-signed with us a couple years later when people thought he was going back to St. Louis, not sure whether he got to July 1 or not though.

Elias did turn down more $ from the Rangers because they wouldn't give a NMC as the Devils did. Montreal also offered him more $.

I could have sworn the Hawks were the other team involved with Elias, not the Habs.

Edited by NJDevs26