Doomsday Scenario

Devils Pride 26

My guess is Malholtra stays in SJ, they love him here.

I had read that SJ only offered him a 1 yr deal where he was looking for 2-3 yrs. Just think he would be a good fit for the team. It would be nice to have someone who wins > 60% of faceoffs.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A mid-season trade where the player doesn't have much, if any, choice where he's going, only has a few months before unrestricted free agency, the acquiring team knows how much it has to pay him, is a lot different from competing with several teams and where the decision is ultimately in the hands of the player whose decision is usually determined by the amount of money he's going to get paid.

Lou has shown, not just with Kovy, he will not shy away from making big moves at the trade deadline. To date, he has not made a big splash in unrestricted free agency, which is what I'd consider signing Gonchar/Hamhuis to be for present purposes.

Sure he has. Rolston was the most sought after free agent 2 years ago. Are you going to tell me he doesn't count because he was an ex- devil or because he hasn't worked out? Rolston is a pretty big splash.

I would be SHOCKED if not 1 player out of the Tedenby, Josefson, Henrique group made the team this year....

Why do people think these players are ready? These guys were only drafted in the last couple years. Remember Devils prospects usually get 3 or 4 years in the AHL before gettinga shot in the big club. I dont see any of them being NHL'ers this season, unless of course they really impress or theres lots of injuries.

Sure he has. Rolston was the most sought after free agent 2 years ago. Are you going to tell me he doesn't count because he was an ex- devil or because he hasn't worked out? Rolston is a pretty big splash.

I don't consider Rolston to be a big splash, and it has nothing to do with him being an ex-Devil. That year, you had a lot more quality free agents (Hossa, Jagr, Campbell, Commodore, Foote, Liles, Orpick, Streit) and many much bally-hooed ufas (Redden, Ryan Malone), and of course the greatest player of all time, Sheldon Brookbank.

Hanhuis and Gonchar, are each no worse than fifth best defenseman in free agency this summer.

I don't consider Rolston to be a big splash, and it has nothing to do with him being an ex-Devil. That year, you had a lot more quality free agents (Hossa, Jagr, Campbell, Commodore, Foote, Liles, Orpick, Streit) and many much bally-hooed ufas (Redden, Ryan Malone), and of course the greatest player of all time, Sheldon Brookbank.

Hanhuis and Gonchar, are each no worse than fifth best defenseman in free agency this summer.

Half the league made offers to Rolston, IIRC. A $5M+ contract has got to be considered a big splash.

Although I have always wondered how good we could've been if we gave Streit Rolston's contract. Ugh disappointing.

This is where you have to trust in Lou. He won't let both those players walk, he just won't. At the very least he wouldn't let them walk without replacing them with equal/better players.

If they don't want to come back, which is starting to look likely, there isn't anything Lou can do about.

What players available are equal to or better than Martin and Kovalchuk?

Edited by Patches O'Houlihan

Why is everyone forgetting Mottau? As much as he sucked most of last season, he'll be back.

of this, i'm not so sure. if he makes it to 7/1, he's gone because it means lou didn't want him. there's no huge market for mottau. he's one of those guys that is worth more to the team he's on than any other team in the league. someone will sign him in a month to be their 6th defenseman for $750k on a one year deal.

mottau is actually fine as a 6th defenseman or even a 5 on a really good tdefense (he'd make a nice 5th on Chicago, Detroit, LA as examples). but he's not taking a one year from the devils @ $750k - it's a step backwards with the same organization and Lou must find room to see what he's got with corrente who simply must make the team this year.

really, lou's not doing anything until martin makes up his mind because everything else hinges on that. if martin re-signs, he may stay status quo and just let corrente/eckford/taormira/salmela/fraser fight for the 5-6 spots. that, of course, would be terrible but it's at least a plan. ideally, he re-signs martin and either gets a michalek type for $3-$4MM. letting mottau walk opens up one spot for the aforementioned quintet to fight for. it also paves the way for urbom in two years.

so next year:

martin

greene

michalek

white

salvador

corrente

2011-2012

martin

michalek

white

salvador (or traded and taormira/fraser in his place)

corrente

greene (re-signed) or urbom

these are unspectacular defenses that would certainly have to rely on a pitts in '09 kinda defense in order to win. simply put, there is no top end guy that the devils are getting. in this day an age, you have to almost always draft these guys.

If they don't want to come back, which is starting to look likely, there isn't anything Lou can do about.

What players available are equal to or better than Marin and Kovalchuk?

Since Marleau's gone, no forward compares to Kovalchuk so far as skill is concerned (whether he has the intangibles is a dicussion for anoterh day).

If the price is right, I could live with Hamhuis, Kaberle, Kurtis Foster as a substitute for Martin. I would stay away from Gonchar.

latest is that gonchar wants 4 years! pass for sure.

and Daniel - none of those men are suitable replacements for Martin. I suppose Kaberle could be because of the increased offense but what is given away on the backend would be a lot.

I suppose if you're going with the obscure stats such as corsi, forsi and torsi, you might be right. While I think Hamhuis is overrated, he's a competent defenseman who apparently has some level of toughness, certainly more than Martin does. Foster put up more points last year than Martin has in any season of his career, is the same age, is bigger, and most likely cheaper, although maybe last year was an aberration.

But you know I've never been on the Martin bandwagon.

With the price he wants, Gonchar for ONE year is too much. He's done. He needs to be protected, then you unleash him on the PP. for the money he wants, how can you afford to protect him? his combined ES numbers are probably worse than White's, who is saddled with Mottau.

Lou Lamoriello has stated that he will try to clear cap space for something to be worked out if the team resigns Kovalchuk and Martin, but I would not call losing them both Doomsday. Here is potentially what the line-up could look like is both are gone with my interpretation on what Free Agents to sign:

Forwards:

Parise Zajac Langenbrunner

Elias Arnott Afinogenov

Rolston (Cullen or Malhotra) Clarkson

Tedenby Josefson Henrique

Extras: Pelley

Notes: Cullen and Afinogenov would not command too much money and Cullen is an upgrade over Rob Niedermayer, but Nieds could be an ok fall back on the 3rd line.

Defense:

Greene Michalek

Salvador Corvo

White Corrente

Extras: Eckford, Fraser

Notes: Corvo and Michalek are both Right-Handed Shooting D-Men with some upside. Volchenkov is probably heading to the Caps as rumored. Gonchar is likely staying in Pittsburgh as the need for a 3rd year in his deal will scare some teams off. Hamhuis is probably headed home to Vancouver.

What players available are equal to or better than Martin and Kovalchuk?

Obviously what I meant was that he'd have to make trades.

kovalchuk leaving shouldn't really change much as far as next year - he is a luxury, plain and simple. the devils, as constituted are fine in their top 6 and, it could be argued, in their top 8 which is really all you need. martin leaving would be a massive hole. i would virtually guarantee that if he does go, souray is acquired within days - likely for salvador with edmonton throwing in a 2nd to make the contract palpable. an additional defenseman like michalek would also be a nice fit - someone in that 3-4MM range that can make a pass.in truth, the devils only need be concerned with having the room for urbom to move into the lineup (and again, that's at least 2 years away). anyone else in their pipeline (corrente, fraser, taormira, eckford) are bottom pairing guys. white has two more years left. while i don't imagine greene going anywhere, it's cretainly possible.

That is where it fails :doh1: Why Souray ??? I mean do we really need another Rolston like contract and we are giving Salvador just to make it even more painful ???

Look the only way I see Souray coming here is via a trade that SENDS ROLSTON their way.

Edited by SS-SS

What defenseman better than Martin is he trading for? What assets do the Devils have that they can give up for a top pairing defenseman?

Exactly what I have been saying for 2 days now...we better sign Martin because we don't have nothing to trade for a top 2 D-men.

Ehh, you never know. You had 4 or 5 rookies in your lineup so it wasn't that far off. It'll probably end up as a mix.

Well I figure there's a better chance of system and draft picks making the team than Lou going nuts on free agency.

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus ... Should be no brainer. Zubrus was great with that line.

Kovalchuk-Arnott-Elias... Having a real center could help the both of them.

Rolston-Josefson-Langenbrunner... Vets to help out Josefson. If he's as good of a two way center as we've heard, this line will be a great checking line and will put up some points.

Zharkov-CENTER-Clarkson... Zharkov has speed and playmaking ability. Clarkson can add toughness and score timely goals. The center position here would be a question mark. I wouldn't mind Dean McAmmond come back for this role.

Martin-Urbom... I wouldn't put a rookie on the top pairing but I think they go well together.

Greene-Salvador... Top pairing from last year when Martin and Oduya were hurt. Did well together.

White-Corrente... Corrente has some offensive skill and is very tough while White's a decent stay at home guy.

Salmela and Eckford can be the extras.

Then you have to add in the possibility of Tedenby making the team. I think he's got a better shot at it if Kovy doesn't come back. It's also not a given that Pandolfo is going to be gone although we'd like him to disappear.

The only UFA I have wanted to Lou to sign for a few years is Matt Lombardi. Blazing speed and can put up some points. Still semi-young as well.