Volchenkov to Devils

MantaRay

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you see how we didn't have to spend $ on Martin to get a top D-man? I know you're listening Martin-lovers.

I'll be honest, I'm all aboard with the signings and letting Martin walk. And considering his comments he seems to be a bigger a$$hole then Gomez was 3 years ago. With that being said Martin will do good in Pitt. He is a good player, not as great as he is made out to be, but he is a soild addition. The real negative that Pitt gets better but so be it.

seriously, could you imagine if we had this guy last season after Jeff Carter hit salmela from behind after his goal, next shift, boom Carter wakes up seeing the ceiling of a hospital

You know, I have a theory about this, take it for what its worth. I reckon the non response from the Devils players was the beginning of the end for Lemaire, that right there started his demise and the locker room strife.

The reason why no Devil obliterated Carter for that hit was because (in my opinion) Lemaire didn't want to see Carter get buried because of the upcoming olympics. So he told the players not to retaliate against Carter for his cheap shot.

This is pure speculation on my part, but after what has transpired with Lemaire and his "retirement" (retirement my a$$, Lou canned him) it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I don't dislike anyone the Devils obtained, but where is the offensive D-man. I certainly don't think Andy Greene can manage a whole season as the number 1 offensive d-man for the Devils. I also don't see Eckford or Mottau so who? True the Devils have all summer to get someone, but who?

Great signing and a good contact for 6 years! Wow. Volchenkov is a beast! 172 blocked shots which was 8th in the NHL will be a huge boost for the defense and Brodeur.

Volchenkov and Tallinder a HUGE upgrade from Martin and Mottau! Glad to see Volchenkov and Tallinder on the back end for the Devils. Lou got what he wanted as far as defense.

Watched the youtube someone put up of Volchenkov and I have to say I like what I see. One question though. He seems to have a thing of putting his elbows up a lot on his hits, and some close boardings. Has this been a problem for him? Getting penalties for it?

Pittsburgh loses Gonchar and gets Martin

New Jersey loses Martin and gets Volchenkov

Ottawa loses Volchenkov and gets Gonchar

What a nice merry-go-round of D-men.

I am not entirely sold on Gonchar, especially the contract length and amount given his age. Yes he will put up more points that Volchenkov, but I am just not 100% on him.

Enjoy Volchie.....I am not sure his style is going to mix well with Brodeur....good luck with that. I am sad to see him go, but he is getting his money's worth on this contract, Sens couldn't have given him that length.

Watched the youtube someone put up of Volchenkov and I have to say I like what I see. One question though. He seems to have a thing of putting his elbows up a lot on his hits, and some close boardings. Has this been a problem for him? Getting penalties for it?

Not really a problem. If his elbows come up it is usually the kind of "after explosion" of the hit, he doesn't lead with them.