Lou trying to Resign Mottau

DevsFan7545

I really don't understand why everyone is so against signing Mottau. He's a quality third pair defender who was playing minutes well above his skill level and payscale last year. With the defense looking strong now, there's no way Mottau would play above the third pair, and if Lou could sign Motts for, say 2 years, $1 million per, he'd be able to then deal, say, White and his $3 million cap hit or Salvador and his $2.9 million cap hit.

Let's say Lou deals Sal because White has a NTC, and since Lou is in love with Urbom, let's say he makes the club.

Volchenkov-Greene

Tallinder-White

Mottau-Urbom

It breaks up the White/Mottau pairing that was mediocre last year (that White dragged down), puts White with a better defensive defenseman, and keeps Mottau playing minutes that he'll be able to handle for a full season. Plus, it frees up $1.9 million in cap space.

Edited by RSC

Why would Lou want to re-sign someone that gives up the puck nearly everytime he touches it in the defensive zone.

Give me Tyler Eckford anyday.

I like Tyler Eckford, but what has he done to show he would do any better than Mottau? From what some people have said, Eckford is sliding on the depth chart.

I really don't understand why everyone is so against signing Mottau. He's a quality third pair defender who was playing minutes well above his skill level and payscale last year. With the defense looking strong now, there's no way Mottau would play above the third pair, and if Lou could sign Motts for, say 2 years, $1 million per, he'd be able to then deal, say, White and his $3 million cap hit or Salvador and his $2.9 million cap hit.

Let's say Lou deals Sal because White has a NTC, and since Lou is in love with Urbom, let's say he makes the club.

Volchenkov-Greene

Tallinder-White

Mottau-Urbom

It breaks up the White/Mottau pairing that was mediocre last year (that White dragged down), puts White with a better defensive defenseman, and keeps Mottau playing minutes that he'll be able to handle for a full season. Plus, it frees up $1.9 million in cap space.

Totally true. Mottau was solid for just about the whole season. He collapsed in the playoffs, true. However, the issue with him is that he's gotta play less minutes.

I really don't understand why everyone is so against signing Mottau. He's a quality third pair defender who was playing minutes well above his skill level and payscale last year.

How many slow defensemen who can't skate or move the puck do you want on the team? It might be amusing for a game or two to see a defense with Volchenkov-Tallinder-White-Salvador-Mottau-Fraser after Greene's withered up and died from playing 35 minutes the first half of the season but after that it'd be torture to watch.

There's gotta be another move or three coming, or they have to be committed to giving Eckford/Taormina a legit shot at the top four to go into the season with anything close to this d-core.

Edited by Hasan4978

How many slow defensemen who can't skate or move the puck do you want on the team? It might be amusing for a game or two to see a defense with Volchenkov-Tallinder-White-Salvador-Mottau-Fraser after Greene's withered up and died from playing 35 minutes the first half of the season but after that it'd be torture to watch.

There's gotta be another move or three coming, or they have to be committed to giving Eckford/Taormina a legit shot at the top four to go into the season with anything close to this d-core.

I think the idea this year is gonna be to rotate the bottom 2-3 defenders in and out, every game.

Volchenkov-Greene

Tallinder-White

Mottau-Urbom

This. I'm hoping it's a move in order to free up cap space.

They way Lou is talking, it looks like Urbom is getting a shot, too. He all but said they got Tallinder to help Urbom, and called him our top prospect.

I would rather not sign Motts because I feel he'll take a roster spot from a young guy like Urbom. Even though I liked what he did with White as a pair last year I feel we need to move on. If Lou does in the end decide to sign him I wouldn't be pissed off though.

I would rather not sign Motts because I feel he'll take a roster spot from a young guy like Urbom. Even though I liked what he did with White as a pair last year I feel we need to move on. If Lou does in the end decide to sign him I wouldn't be pissed off though.

If we do sign Mottau it will be with Lou's terms and so he'll be tradeable. If Urbom is good enough to make the team and plays well enough to be a starter, Mottau will be gone by January.