New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

kovie had the same 10 mil offer from atlanta, which has a far greater arena and a nicer area than nassau. he's not going to go to another non contender for the same price, it's kings or devs period.

kopitar parise is a tie.

brodeur, volchy are the edge.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if he's using NJ, I suspect he's looking for the most lucrative deal. And if the reports are to be believed, maybe it's the Isles ponying up the most dough. You figure he wants to get as close as possible to the Atlanta offer to save face.

I hear you but if he has no intention of signing in Jersey, (something we'll never know unless he admits it after he signs somewhere), and he keeps letting Lou think he's still in on it then I think he and his agent are using Lou. I don't consider it dirty tactics, it's just the way it is in the business. I'm just annoyed that it would be our team on the sh!t end of it. I hope I'm wrong and we're still in it, but I have a strange feeling we never really were. Could be because I expected this to be over by now, but I guess it was a good idea for Kovy to be patient.

kovie had the same 10 mil offer from atlanta, which has a far greater arena and a nicer area than nassau. he's not going to go to another non contender for the same price, it's kings or devs period.

kopitar parise is a tie.

I think you're wearing the red-and-black glasses, but we'll see. It sure is fun trying to guess what's really going on, though. I love this contract stuff.

kopitar parise is a tie.

the only reason anyone would take Kopitar over Parise is b/c he's a center. The guy just broke 80 for the first time this year and only has 30 goals twice. Zach's regarded as a great 2 way player too, which I'm not sure Kopitar is. And you can't say Volchenkov gives the edge since you know they have Doughty

Listen, you can't call it "using". He's about to make the biggest decision of his life and he should take a few days at least. It's impossible to use Lou. He's not moving Lou up in price, cuz Lou doesn't do that. Lou has already told Kovy what he can give him. If anything he's negotiating hard with the Kings.

I think there had to have been at least a little back and forth or one upping between the Kings and the Devils at first. It might have come to a point where both teams stopped at a certain number which is why there is a stand still at the moment. If not this would have been settled day 1.

I agree that i don't see him going the the Isles though. Might as well go back to Atlanta.

I hear you but if he has no intention of signing in Jersey, (something we'll never know unless he admits it after he signs somewhere), and he keeps letting Lou think he's still in on it then I think he and his agent are using Lou. I don't consider it dirty tactics, it's just the way it is in the business. I'm just annoyed that it would be our team on the sh!t end of it. I hope I'm wrong and we're still in it, but I have a strange feeling we never really were. Could be because I expected this to be over by now, but I guess it was a good idea for Kovy to be patient.

Oh, I see what you're saying. That Kovalchuk wants the Devils to think they're in the hunt when he actually has no desire to be a Devil. But like Benoors said, that probably won't drive the Devils' offer past $8 million.

Edited by Jerrydevil

I agree that i don't see him going the the Isles though. Might as well go back to Atlanta.

I'll ask you the same question I asked Bennors. Assuming $100 million over 10 years from the Isles is real, how much less do you think he would take to anywhere else but Long Island?

Oh, I see what you're saying. That Kovalchuk wants the Devils to think they're in the hunt when he actually has no desire to be a Devil. But like Benoors said, that probably won't drive the Devils' offer past $8 million.

Exactly, and you and Ben00rs are right about Lou not going above 8 million but that's what has me annoyed. I think they knew Lou wouldn't go past a certain amount but he used that amount to get what he wanted from LA. This is absolutely my own speculation and like I said I hope I'm wrong. It's the pessimist in me.

I'll ask you the same question I asked Bennors. Assuming $100 million over 10 years from the Isles is real, how much less do you think he would take to anywhere else but Long Island?

Well I think this because he turned down the Atlanta deal already.

I think he'll accept an offer for around 8.5-9 on a cup contending team. The Isles offer will only be used as leverage. I think Dean bites, Lou won't.

I don't think he'll take anything less than 8 per anywhere though.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

That means Kovalchuk would turn his back on $52 million, if the Isles' offer is a real offer. I kinda doubt he would that.

But he can go the KHL and make 30 million more than the Isles would give him and pay a lot less in taxes.

Well I think this because he turned down the Atlanta deal already.

I think he'll accept an offer for around 8.5-9 on a cup contending team. The Isles offer will only be used as leverage. I think Dean bites, Lou won't.

I don't think he'll take anything less than 8 per anywhere though.

I don't know what will happen (who does?) but I'm going to play devil's advocate again. If Lombardi thinks Kovalchuk going to the Isles is not a real threat, then why would he up the Kings' offer?

Edited by Jerrydevil

I don't know what will happen (who does?) but I'm going to play devil's advocate again. If Lombardi thinks Kovalchuk going to the Isles is not a real threat, then why would he up the Kings' offer?

Good point. Maybe I didn't give Dean enough credit. I don't think either will up their offer because of the Isles offer.

I'd like to know what number the Devs and the Kings both froze at.

But he can go the KHL and make 30 million more than the Isles would give him and pay a lot less in taxes.

Yes, he can certainly choose the KHL if one of those teams is making a monster offer. I wonder if he and the wife are willing to move the family to Russia.

Yes, he can certainly choose the KHL if one of those teams is making a monster offer. I wonder if he and the wife are willing to move the family to Russia.

Point is he has already had offers for big money and big contracts and so far it seems as if he's turned those all down.

Point is he has already had offers for big money and big contracts and so far it seems as if he's turned those all down.

Right. It appears he wants to play with a contending NHL team, and he would end up looking real good if he took less to do that. Not sure if the ego is going to allow that to happen.

I suspect that he hopes one of these contenders will "make him whole" and pay him what Atlanta would have, or pretty darn close.

Right. It appears he wants to play with a contending NHL team, and he would end up looking real good if he took less to do that. Not sure if the ego is going to allow that to happen.

I suspect that he hopes one of these contenders will "make him whole" and pay him what Atlanta would have, or pretty darn close.

but if it was going to happen, it probably would've happened by now. on july 1 is when things get crazy and teams tend to make their worst decisions. now that the market seems to offer other options that aren't kovalchuk, as well as some decent trade bait out there, it's not kovalchuk or bust.

My thought exactly. He's got to realize that the higher his price is, the less likely it'll be for a GM to build a team around him. If he goes anywhere for 10 mil he better bring a team with him because of his salary vs. the cap.

I think that at 8 mil he can get what he wants and still allow a competitive team to be built around him. I just hope he feels that Jersey is the place.

And really even if the team doesn't get him they still signed some players that will help out a bunch. I'm already excited about the moves made. Kovalchuk will be the point per game icing on the cake.

but if it was going to happen, it probably would've happened by now. on july 1 is when things get crazy and teams tend to make their worst decisions. now that the market seems to offer other options that aren't kovalchuk, as well as some decent trade bait out there, it's not kovalchuk or bust.

This Islanders offer (if real) happened after July 1. I think he's hoping it prompts the Kings to go higher or gets the Avs involved. Even if nothing else happens, the Isles offer (if real) is still out there.

The longer this goes the more likely Kovy is to re-sign with us. He knows what it's like here, why go to LA? (assuming the offers are both around 8M)

I feel the complete opposite. To me the longer this takes, the more offers that come in, the more likely it is Lou drops out.