New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

clarkson on the 4th line, as in daniel's post, is beyond terrible.

No it isn't, so long as the fourth line is getting more than typical fourth line time. If you could transport the 2000 Devils to today salary cap and all, you wouldn't mind paying the people on the crash-line Clarkson type money.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? I honestly don't see Clarkson as a 2nd line player. He's a grinder / agitator that has some nice offensive upside. Perfect fit for a 3rd line, I think.

it's bleeding money to sign a guy to a contract like that. 2.6 m a year for a grinder that scores 15 goals a year on the 3rd line and PP but doesn't kill penalties is terrible.

I don't see who else Lou could have been talking about, if not for Rolston. He clears up $5M in cap space with very little damage to the team makeup or offensive production. Trading other players such as Langs or Zajac would be very counterproductive.

I know, that's why I don't think we'll be seeing Kovy in a Devils uniform, barring some very weird developments.

Moving Elias over to the right wing position is not that big of a deal. Moving a left winger to the right (or vice versa) is alot easier to adjust to than a winger moving to the center.

Don't be too sure it's not a big deal. Some wingers can't adjust to switching sides as easy as it might seem. Remember, depending on which hand you shoot, you are shooting off a different angle, passing off different and recieving passes different. Some guys prefer playing off wing like Kovalchuk. It's all about the player. Ideally, i would not prefer a RH shooter coming off the LW.

Smart wingers who are positionally sound and read the play well can adjust to center, but it's never an ideal thing to do. IMO, it's a move of desparation or to revive/save a career in some cases.

I'm glad that Lou has said that, but it takes two to tango. The only use that Rolston has for any team is to get them over the salary floor. And even then, assuming Rolston would even approve a deal, those teams have the Devils over a barrel in negotiations, and they would know it.

The Isles would almost have to take Rolston to get them over the floor if they've been rebuffed by Martin, Hamhuis and then Kovy, which would be ironic...here, we just beat you out for Kovy now help us get under the cap and yourselves get to the floor :lol: Of course Rolston could refuse a trade there, unless he wants to stay in the area.

Besides, Rolston has more value than Malkahov did - especially two offseasons removed from seventeen contract offers, you'd figure at least one of those teams legitimately figure he'll turn around in their system - and Lou managed to get Malakhov off the cap, granted at the cost of a first-round pick but I suspect we might have to pay in terms of a prospect to get rid of Rolston.

Edited by Hasan4978

it's bleeding money to sign a guy to a contract like that. 2.6 m a year for a grinder that scores 15 goals a year on the 3rd line and PP but doesn't kill penalties is terrible.

the devils are not an attractive team they have to pay more money to keep players, or get players or they have to offer more years than they want to or have a NTC to have people come or stay here. how much money do you think its going to take to keep parise here, i think around 7 to 7.5

The Isles would almost have to take Rolston to get them over the floor if they've been rebuffed by Martin, Hamhuis and then Kovy, which would be ironic...here, we just beat you out for Kovy now help us get under the cap and yourselves get to the floor :lol:

Besides, Rolston has more value than Malkahov did - especially two offseasons removed from seventeen contract offers, you'd figure at least one of those teams legitimately figure he'll turn around in their system - and Lou managed to get Malakhov off the cap, granted at the cost of a first-round pick but I suspect we might have to pay in terms of a prospect to get rid of Rolston.

Overpriced players that teams are looking to move are a dime a dozen; Souray, Rosizval, Redden, Simon Gagner, come to mind off the top of my head. Rolston is not unique.

Again, Lou has to count on the Jedi mind trick to move Rolston in a deal that is even remotely acceptable.

Edited by Daniel

Wrong on so many levels. Overpriced players that teams are looking to move are a dime a dozen; Souray, Rosizval, Redden, Simon Gagner, come to mind off the top of my head. Rolston is not unique.

Again, Lou has to count on the Jedi mind trick to move Rolston in a deal that is even remotely acceptable.

this is true, but i don't think he has to count on the jedi mind trick to move zubrus and salvador. the devils could afford kovalchuk and still afford andy greene and zach parise long-term if they managed this.

Edited by Triumph

the devils are not an attractive team they have to pay more money to keep players, or get players or they have to offer more years than they want to or have a NTC to have people come or stay here. how much money do you think its going to take to keep parise here, i think around 7 to 7.5

That is beyond ridiculous. Did you even think before you posted?

Parise-Zajac-Langenrbunner

Kovy-Arnott-Clarkson

Elias-Zubrus-Zharkov

I'm screwing around.

Kovy really doesn't in and it does mess with the chemistry a little bit. I'm not too concerned moving Patrik to hiss off wing.

Edited by HellOnICE

this is true, but i don't think he has to count on the jedi mind trick to move zubrus and salvador. the devils could afford kovalchuk and still afford andy greene and zach parise long-term if they managed this.

Could they afford to lock up Parise long-term BEFORE he goes to arbitration?

Overpriced players that teams are looking to move are a dime a dozen; Souray, Rosizval, Redden, Simon Gagner, come to mind off the top of my head. Rolston is not unique.

Gagne has a ton more value than any other player on that list and is quite possibly going to the Kings. Souray might be bought out, or claimed on re-entry waivers. I doubt Roszival is going anywhere, and as badly as we think of Rolston, Redden's about twice as bad. At least Rolston can score around twenty goals and fire a hard shot on the power play once in a while.

no its not devils have been a losing to for the last seven years. what was the last big name we attracted to get here

Brian Rolston and it's so recent ago it's amazing people forget how much competition there was for him.

no its not devils have been a losing to for the last seven years. what was the last big name we attracted to get here

What? Aside from our recent playoff struggles, the Devils have one of the best records of any team in the league over the last 7 years, let alone the last 15. And historically, Lou doesn't ever sign big players (unless you count Mogilny to some extent). Kovalchuk was an abberation and may signal a change of thinking on Lou's part.

EDIT: By "big name" I assumed you mean players of Kovalchuk's stature. But as others have mentioned, you could also consider Rolston, Volchenkov, etc as big names, albeit to a lesser degree.

Edited by Amberite

Rolston did have a hundred offers sokar. We usually don't go after big names in free agency....You gotta think Volchenkov had some deals too, btw.

we got rolston because we offered him more years than other teams were, and look where that got us. volchenkov got six years and a ntc to come here.

yes, they could do that. hey, remember when lou signed david clarkson before he reached arbitration? that was awesome!

Tri, you can't compare the two. The Devils better be prepared to offer Zach a Duncan Keith, Zetterberg, etc 15 year deal with a good cap number to get that done. It better happen during this season.

we got rolston because we offered him more years than other teams were, and look where that got us. volchenkov got six years and a ntc to come here.

wow so you mean players tend to go to the team that offers them the most money? volchenkov got less per season than i thought he would get and the devils have no contracts signed beyond 2013-14 - having a bad volchenkov deal on the books is not a problem at all.

Tri, you can't compare the two. The Devils better be prepared to offer Zach a Duncan Keith, Zetterberg, etc 15 year deal with a good cap number to get that done. It better happen during this season.

so it should've happened 2 days ago. i get it.

wow so you mean players tend to go to the team that offers them the most money? volchenkov got less per season than i thought he would get and the devils have no contracts signed beyond 2013-14 - having a bad volchenkov deal on the books is not a problem at all.

so it should've happened 2 days ago. i get it.

C'mon even your sarcasm can't deny that the Devils need to get Parise signed before arbitration. We cannot let it go to that.

C'mon even your sarcasm can't deny that the Devils need to get Parise signed before arbitration. We cannot let it go to that.

obviously i agree. i don't think it's worth worrying about now, though, that's for next offseason.

christ - i had 4 multi-replies checked in the last two pages of this thread and just said fvck it -

giving kovy whatever this year and the devils literally having ZERO cap space does not affect anything w/ parise next year.

there is NO doubt that lou should not mess around with any waiting game and asking parise if he "wants to be a devil". don't fvck around and outsmart yourself and don't make this about "the devils way."

just give him 8/56 and be done with it. if he wants 10/68, do that. if he wants 12/72, fine. just don't mess around.