New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

People are talking trade, but isn't it possible that the Devils will have no choice but to waive Salvador and/or Langenbrunner? Is there a trade market for Salvador in particular? Is there a trade market for Zubrus?

Edited by Jerrydevil

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the right price (if you can call it that) there would be buyers on Langenbrunner and Salvador I'm sure, since they're legitimate NHLers and their contracts aren't atrocious. [Rolston I'd worry about.] Of course I see what you mean, the question is, is that price affordable in terms of this franchise, realistically. But such is the cap.

If we waived the players, would that relieve us of their cap burden? What happens in a situation where we aren't under the cap at the finish line?

For the right price (if you can call it that) there would be buyers on Langenbrunner and Salvador I'm sure, since they're legitimate NHLers and their contracts aren't atrocious. [Rolston I'd worry about.] Of course I see what you mean, the question is, is that price affordable in terms of this franchise, realistically. But such is the cap.

If we waived the players, would that relieve us of their cap burden? What happens in a situation where we aren't under the cap at the finish line?

If a player on a 1-way contract is waived and picked up by another team, his salary comes off the books. If he clears waivers, the salary will still count against the cap during the off-season, but once the season starts, it comes off the cap.

Edited by David Puddy

For Kovalfvcks sake. I got sick of this last night (ie around 7pm EST), went to bed and expected this to be done when I woke up. Uh, no. Les Grossman ruined my morning. Now I'm gonna go out, have lunch at the golf course, practice a bit, shoot 67 or lower at the Tuesday Tournament, win 50 bucks and when I come home, Kovalfvck will have signed.

If not, I'm gonna...be...annoyed. Very, very annoyed.

Pretty credible source from HF has the deal for 7 years @ 8.8 per. Holy fizzle is that steep if true. I would never have thought we would go anywhere near a figure like that.

I would expect the high 8s or even 9M. I think if we get him in the 7's it's a steal.

The only conclusion I can draw from all of this: looks like Kovalchuk and his camp viewed the Devils as the fallback option throughout this process, and I'm guessing that he's almost praying that LA has a change of heart and steps up their offer "before it's too late." This whole situation reminds me of K-Rod's signing with the Mets...he got a nice offer from his previous team during the season, spurned it because he thought there was going to be a big market for his services come free agency, only to find out that that market simply didn't exist. IF Kovy re-signs (and who the hell has the slightest idea what's going on anymore...certainly not any njdevs.com posters who claim to have inside sources), I hope he at least doesn't insult anyone's intelligence at a press conference by stating that he's just thrilled to remain with the Devils.

RusHockeyFans Sport-Express is reporting that negotiations between SKA and Kovalchuk are "in the closing stage". 4 years, $40m (including bonuses)

from twitter this am

How many times have Russian websites reported Kovy is going to sign there? Plus I think Kovy could get more then 10 million a year in Russia.

How many times have Russian websites reported Kovy is going to sign there? Plus I think Kovy could get more then 10 million a year in Russia.

As many that american websites reported kovy is going to sign in NJ or L.A

That douchebag Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) has a bunch of crap pouring out of his arse about this situation:

I still think Kovalchuk signs in NJ...

However....Wild speculation and rumors abound in the last hour...

*I am hearing the Rangers are in this.

*The Devils are trying to make a major trade with St. Louis.

*The Kings could get back in.

*Another source says the Leafs came in...

*Even rumors of the Thrashers...

Why do I even bother reading his crap.

I just want him to decide so we can move on either way.

at any rate, TG just twittered these...

When asked if team has enough cap room: "Don't worry about my cap."

2 minutes ago via web

TGfireandice

That was concerning Kovlachuk. He would not comment when asked if he expected anything to happen with Kovalchuk today.

3 minutes ago via web

TGfireandice

Just got off the phone with Lamoriello: "Everything is status quo. There is nothing to comment on."

The only conclusion I can draw from all of this: looks like Kovalchuk and his camp viewed the Devils as the fallback option throughout this process, and I'm guessing that he's almost praying that LA has a change of heart and steps up their offer "before it's too late." This whole situation reminds me of K-Rod's signing with the Mets...he got a nice offer from his previous team during the season, spurned it because he thought there was going to be a big market for his services come free agency, only to find out that that market simply didn't exist. IF Kovy re-signs (and who the hell has the slightest idea what's going on anymore...certainly not any njdevs.com posters who claim to have inside sources), I hope he at least doesn't insult anyone's intelligence at a press conference by stating that he's just thrilled to remain with the Devils.

yeah, he should just say that he's unhappy with new jersey and wishes he could wear ranger blue. gimme a break. part of the reason why the devils are a fallback is that they can't give him the money that atlanta offered him.

By the way, I'm still thinking the KHL is an option. 4 years KHL would lead to the Olympics and there might not be a restriction on playing in them, whereas in the NHL there might be by then.

Just speculating.

Maybe I'm just being too hopeful but I'm starting to think Kovalchuk made up his mind and will sign here, but it won't become official until after someone gets bought out after Fraser's arbitration hearing. I know you can go 10% over the cap in the offseason, but I guess Fraser filing for arbitration in order for the team to cut salary would be less suspicious if it's done before Kovalchuk signs.