New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

Just pure speculation... I think he's already agreed to be a Devil but they are still waiting on making a deal (likely, the to-be-traded player(s) aren't waiving their NTC's) to clear space. I think that Kovy's counteroffer to LA was just as a favor to Lou to throw people off because there were too many leaks about his deal w/ NJ. Once people saw the ridiculously complicated (as Lombardi called it) counteroffer that LA wouldn't accept, people would think that his waiting on NJ to clear space was bogus and Lou could operate under secrecy. Notice how Grossman hasn't tweeted since then? I think Lou was annoyed at that and that no news is good news.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just pure speculation... I think he's already agreed to be a Devil but they are still waiting on making a deal (likely, the to-be-traded player(s) aren't waiving their NTC's) to clear space. I think that Kovy's counteroffer to LA was just as a favor to Lou to throw people off because there were too many leaks about his deal w/ NJ. Once people saw the ridiculously complicated (as Lombardi called it) counteroffer that LA wouldn't accept, people would think that his waiting on NJ to clear space was bogus and Lou could operate under secrecy. Notice how Grossman hasn't tweeted since then? I think Lou was annoyed at that and that no news is good news.

This is definitely a popular theory and while its unlikely, it's certainly plausible, isn't it?

Again, it is highly unlikely however, given the probability that Lou would have just signed him anyways at this point. Secondly, Lombardi isn't an idiot and would most likely know if Kovy was trying to fool him.

I don't think Kovy doesn't want to play in NJ. Just that he may want to play in LA more, or there is also the possibility that he told his agent, "I want to play for LA or NJ, just get me the best possible deal".

This is definitely a popular theory and while its unlikely, it's certainly plausible, isn't it?

Again, it is highly unlikely however, given the probability that Lou would have just signed him anyways at this point. Secondly, Lombardi isn't an idiot and would most likely know if Kovy was trying to fool him.

I don't think Kovy doesn't want to play in NJ. Just that he may want to play in LA more, or there is also the possibility that he told his agent, "I want to play for LA or NJ, just get me the best possible deal".

But how long until he negotiates himself right out of a deal with NJ?

Too many teams seem uninterested to even listen to what he wants. It seems to have been NJ and LA for pretty much the whole time. He's made LA back away with his extraordinary demands... and we have NO FREAKING IDEA what the hell Lou is doing. Sooner or later he'll HAVE to go to Russia.

It is pure speculation and highly unlikely. Kovy's first choice was LA. I think Grossman had an offer from Lou and tried one more time to drum up interest with Lombardi.

I don't think Grossman has tweeted because he may lose his client to his Russian agent who is willing to give KOVY the $ he is looking for.

But how long until he negotiates himself right out of a deal with NJ?

IMO this won't happen. I don't believe he is demanding as much as everyone else is reporting. Lou will pursue him until he signs somewhere.

Too many teams seem uninterested to even listen to what he wants. It seems to have been NJ and LA for pretty much the whole time. He's made LA back away with his extraordinary demands... and we have NO FREAKING IDEA what the hell Lou is doing. Sooner or later he'll HAVE to go to Russia.

Again, I don't believe in these "extraordinary demands". Especially if the reported offers from LA are true, then it just doesn't make any sense. For ex: Kovy asks for 10 mill a year for 8 years and they offer him the reported 5.3 avg. over 13 years. If he wanted 10 mill, then why would he go back to a team that is lowballing him?

Again, no one has any clue what's going on. That's why one minute it seems he is going to do one thing and the next it's the complete opposite. We don't even know for sure if its only LA, NJ and SKA in this thing. (and I don't believe SKA is in it for real)

THe point is that Kovy is about to make the biggest decision in his and his family's lives. He clearly deserves the chance to take his time. It won't make any difference to us how long it took him to sign when October rolls around anyways.

I just think the dead silence has Lou written all over it and I don't think that he would be fond of twitter updates.

Lombardi mentioned that it would take several days to figure out if Kovy's offer was good, yet he declined it that night. Maybe he figured out that it was a scheme to throw people off and thats why he quickly rejected it. And then instead of trying to compromise, he claims that they are out of it. Wouldn't you think that if Kovy really wanted LA, that the LA GM would continue to try to make it work?

I don't think Lou would want to risk it with waiting til after Kovy signs to clear space. He doesn't take big risks. Lou has a strategy, and we don't know it, but he knows what he's doing and in the end I'm sure it will all make sense. :koolaid:

IMO this won't happen. I don't believe he is demanding as much as everyone else is reporting. Lou will pursue him until he signs somewhere.

Again, I don't believe in these "extraordinary demands". Especially if the reported offers from LA are true, then it just doesn't make any sense. For ex: Kovy asks for 10 mill a year for 8 years and they offer him the reported 5.3 avg. over 13 years. If he wanted 10 mill, then why would he go back to a team that is lowballing him?

Again, no one has any clue what's going on. That's why one minute it seems he is going to do one thing and the next it's the complete opposite. We don't even know for sure if its only LA, NJ and SKA in this thing. (and I don't believe SKA is in it for real)

THe point is that Kovy is about to make the biggest decision in his and his family's lives. He clearly deserves the chance to take his time. It won't make any difference to us how long it took him to sign when October rolls around anyways.

My point is how long does Lou stay in this? Kovy would have signed here already if he wanted to be a Devil... that's something I'm almost sure of. But as more free agents are finding homes, other GMs are working the phones to make trades and make their teams better, Lou is presumingly trying to get rid of dead weight in order to sit and wait for Kovalchuk to decide on where he is going to sign. Not ONE thing has happened here after Volchenkov and Tallinder signed. Lou promised changes and signings... I just feel like this is really holding him up.

My point is how long does Lou stay in this? Kovy would have signed here already if he wanted to be a Devil... that's something I'm almost sure of. But as more free agents are finding homes, other GMs are working the phones to make trades and make their teams better, Lou is presumingly trying to get rid of dead weight in order to sit and wait for Kovalchuk to decide on where he is going to sign. Not ONE thing has happened here after Volchenkov and Tallinder signed. Lou promised changes and signings... I just feel like this is really holding him up.

While this is true and a good point there may be a interesting development league-wise here.

Think about this: The NHL has been relatively quit deal-wise. That might be caused by all GM's waiting for the Devils to "steal' Kovy which will set the bar lower for ALL other free agent forwards and new contracts.

It would be a form of collusion, and you may call me paranoid, but it might be happening.

We'll know for sure when 3 days after Kovy signs there are a whole bunch of signings, movement and/or trades.

You really think the whole league is watching? I kind of get the vibe that no one really cares and isn't interested in Kovy... But it has been very silent. The Flyers are the only team making some noise as far as Zherdev signing with them and whether or not Gagne waived his NTC or not.

While this is true and a good point there may be a interesting development league-wise here.

Think about this: The NHL has been relatively quit deal-wise. That might be caused by all GM's waiting for the Devils to "steal' Kovy which will set the bar lower for ALL other free agent forwards and new contracts.

It would be a form of collusion, and you may call me paranoid, but it might be happening.

We'll know for sure when 3 days after Kovy signs there are a whole bunch of signings, movement and/or trades.

That's a great point. Whether or not this collusion is actually happening, contracts like the most recently rumored ones could very likely have a big effect on contracts to follow.

When are the arbitration hearings?

Lombardi mentioned that it would take several days to figure out if Kovy's offer was good, yet he declined it that night. Maybe he figured out that it was a scheme to throw people off and thats why he quickly rejected it. And then instead of trying to compromise, he claims that they are out of it.

Again, it's possible but unlikely. Lou doesn't need to send Kovy out as a minion, to buy him time.

Wouldn't you think that if Kovy really wanted LA, that the LA GM would continue to try to make it work?

No, because Lombardi would like to have Kovy but doesn't want him that badly. That's why he's lowballing Kovy: to see if he can get him in a steal. If he can't, then he doesn't want him.

I don't think Lou would want to risk it with waiting til after Kovy signs to clear space. He doesn't take big risks. Lou has a strategy, and we don't know it, but he knows what he's doing and in the end I'm sure it will all make sense. :koolaid:

But if it goes long enough Lou would submit to the risk of signing Kovy pre-clearing space because he clearly wants him on the team.

Firstly, it's not true that Kovy would have signed here already had he wanted to be a Devil. Kovy is about to make a huge life decision and giving him 2 weeks to think it over is pretty reasonable. Also, wanting to play somewhere and wanting to play somewhere while making the most possible amount of money you could are 2 different things.

Lou doesn't need to worry about it taking too long. We don't need to make any other big signings. If we don't sign Kovy, Lou is gonna save the Cap room until the trade deadline at least. We might def add a decent PMD before the start of the season, which we could trade for at any time.

You really think the whole league is watching? I kind of get the vibe that no one really cares and isn't interested in Kovy... But it has been very silent. The Flyers are the only team making some noise as far as Zherdev signing with them and whether or not Gagne waived his NTC or not.

Any good GM is watching this situation closely.

Edited by ben00rs

all the major guys left at forward are russian (frolov, ponikarovsky, afinogenov). i have to believe the hold-up there is with kovalchuk - that if kovalchuk doesn't sign with SKA, they will go after these players, but that they don't want to take themselves out of the kovalchuk bidding.

Whats for Lunch?

Well for breakfast was egg, cheese, and pork roll on a roll. Lunch can wait til later since I have to go to Target, the bank, and do some work in Hillside. But I have no idea what's for lunch today.

Well for breakfast was egg, cheese, and pork roll on a roll. Lunch can wait til later since I have to go to Target, the bank, and do some work in Hillside. But I have no idea what's for lunch today.

is that kosher?

all the major guys left at forward are russian (frolov, ponikarovsky, afinogenov). i have to believe the hold-up there is with kovalchuk - that if kovalchuk doesn't sign with SKA, they will go after these players, but that they don't want to take themselves out of the kovalchuk bidding.

Good point. It's def possible that those three want to see what the KHL is offering and even use that as leverage in the NHL. It would work much better as leverage for these guys than Kovy because they're much more likely to sign in the KHL. Lombardi clearly didn't buy the KHL BS.