New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some Tweets:

Jay_Gold_ Alright. No confirmation, but, according to @patrickcaisse, #Devils offered #Kovalchuck a 17-yr deal, yes 17, worth a total of $102 M. #NHL

Sean_Leahy @Jay_Gold_ That was a "wild rumbling" from a NY Post article the other day http://bit.ly/dySa09

Jay_Gold_ Kovalchuck's contract would expire in 2027, when#Kovy will b 44. Similar to the cases of Zetterberg & Hossa, he'll retire b4 contract ends.

Jay_Gold_ @Sean_Leahy My brain hurts from even thinking about it. This was reported before today?

Sean_Leahy @Jay_Gold_ Yeah, that links been updated,but that was from Tuesday at least

Some Tweets:

Jay_Gold_ Alright. No confirmation, but, according to @patrickcaisse, #Devils offered #Kovalchuck a 17-yr deal, yes 17, worth a total of $102 M. #NHL

Sean_Leahy @Jay_Gold_ That was a "wild rumbling" from a NY Post article the other day http://bit.ly/dySa09

Jay_Gold_ Kovalchuck's contract would expire in 2027, when#Kovy will b 44. Similar to the cases of Zetterberg & Hossa, he'll retire b4 contract ends.

Jay_Gold_ @Sean_Leahy My brain hurts from even thinking about it. This was reported before today?

Sean_Leahy @Jay_Gold_ Yeah, that links been updated,but that was from Tuesday at least

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Not true - imagine if you will, being his wife and saying "Gad I love this coffee" and him flipping his lid screaming "FINE! We'll stay here then!! IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?" then stomp out of the room -- stomp back in and scream -- "they HAVE coffee in RUssia too you know! But that's not good enough for you is it?" if it's a particularly masculine day (despite having sand in his mangina) he'll smack, throw or otherwise send a full coffee cup flying, shouting "You're a BITCH! A HUGE BITCH!!!!" and stomp off again. :unsure::noclue:

Seriously -- we women can commiserate with how freaky we can be -- but you HAVE to take an objective look at men sometimes -- just as wacked - but with a shorter, incorrect memory so you make stuff up and then get all mad when women can repeat sh!t verbatim and you know they're right but "WHO GIVES A sh!t YOU PSYCHO BITCH?!?!?!?"

I think Kilgore Trout put it best when he said, "Men are jerks. Women are psychotic."

have to think the nhl is going to step in on these insanely long deals eventually

gangsta ninja stole my vote....or i think i might need a 2nd pic to confirm that change :cheers:

Didn't the league initially investigate Pronger and Hossa's deals?

So 17 years, obviously not intending to pay him for that long unless he's the second coming of Chrome Dome... what's the endgame? A handshake agreement that he retires when Lou says so?

Or are we really going to have him on the cap for the next 17 years?

Didn't the league initially investigate Pronger and Hossa's deals?

It does seem like a rather large loophole...

Hell, why not sign the guy to a 25 year deal, pay him 11m/year for the first 13, then 750k for the last 12? Where's the line?

Edited by Devsfan118

end game....is he retire at 37ish and becomes the highest paid guy hanging around the season ticket holders in league history

i hate these deals...i hope the nhl does something ***if it happens*** so this is the last one

Edited by justdo3043

i believe there is a specific SALARY figure that you cannot exceed per player - i think it's a percentage of the team cap.

too lazy to look it up but that's how they could conceivably stop super long contracts as an attempt for bottomless pit teams (NYR, PHI, DET) to give a guy $15MM in salary but a $7MM cap hit or some such nonsense.

the reason kovy would not sign a 17 year deal is because it's saying - this is what I'm making for the rest of my NHL career - no other way to put it.

It does seem like a rather large loophole...

Hell, why not sign the guy to a 25 year deal, pay him 11m/year for the first 13, then 750k for the last 12? \

Because things can go bizarrely wrong, and the guy might actually end up sticking around for that long witha $6 million cap hit each year.