New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After I get up in a few minutes and leave the office. I'm done with it. I swear. I'm so aggravated at the time I've wasted.

Lol Read that aloud to yourself. You see what I mean about it being a drug? Sounds like something you'd say in an AA meeting. This thread is horrible.

Edited by ben00rs

I want a signing noooooooowwwww. :evilcry: :evilcry:

Monday I'd guess... waited so long might as well give it the weekend to convince the wife... maybe a trip to the Jersey Shore? A night at the Borgota? A quick drive from EWR to NYC for the Day?

I don't understand how the Sundin case relates. It's not like there was 5 years left on his contract and he intended to play out all five years while refusing to be traded. He played almost his whole career with the Leafs and wanted to finish up the season in Toronto.

Don't fault Sundin for a poorly managed team. After all, they're over the cap with a mediocre team.

Oh you know you'll be back before then. This thread is a drug.

Actual scenario with Sundin; Leafs management: Hey Mats we have a deal worked out where we can get a first or second round pick in exchange for you spending the last three months of the season with a competitive team. Mats: Too bad, deals a deal. I'm comfortable here, and I can't stand to miss the Toronto local news for three months, so you're not gonna have that extra pick.

Potential scenario with aging superstar signed to long-term deal: (Very old) Lou: Ilya, your 40 years old, you're cap hit is enormous for very little actual take home pay per year for the life of the deal. Why don't you hang'em up and give us the cap space to re-sign a super awesome Matthias Tedenby. Kind of old Kovy: Deals a deal. I lI'm comfortable here, still think I'm good enough to be competitive, so I guess Matthias is just gonna go have to sign with the Rangers.

The common strand here is that both players are choosing not to sacrifice very little for an organization that was very good to them over the years.

Monday I'd guess... waited so long might as well give it the weekend to convince the wife... maybe a trip to the Jersey Shore? A night at the Borgota? A quick drive from EWR to NYC for the Day?

That would convince almost anyone NOT to stay. LOL.

After I get up in a few minutes and leave the office. I'm done with it. I swear. I'm so aggravated at the time I've wasted.

Home has been my escape from all of this waiting garbage. I have the thread up in the background all day, hoping for an update. I leave work pissed off at yet another day without a signing, then don't think about it until work the next morning. Waiting for that text update from twitter is enough for me.

Actual scenario with Sundin; Leafs management: Hey Mats we have a deal worked out where we can get a first or second round pick in exchange for you spending the last three months of the season with a competitive team. Mats: Too bad, deals a deal. I'm comfortable here, and I can't stand to miss the Toronto local news for three months, so you're not gonna have that extra pick.

I don't think you're way out there for arguing this point but Toronto shouldn't have relied on their longest tenured player/captain to just up and leave for three months.

My take:

Leafs Management: Hey Mats, we know you want to finish up as a leaf and that you put in a solid effort over your career here. But now trading you would benefit us, so please waive your no-trade clause and get the fvck out of here. Thanks for everything.

Mats: Ummmm,, yea...I think I'll stay here you a$$holes.

13 years and 5 Stanley Cups later...

Potential scenario with aging superstar signed to long-term deal: (Very old) Lou: Ilya, your 40 years old, you're cap hit is enormous for very little actual take home pay per year for the life of the deal. Why don't you hang'em up and give us the cap space to re-sign a super awesome Matthias Tedenby. Kind of old Kovy: Deals a deal. I lI'm comfortable here, still think I'm good enough to be competitive, so I guess Matthias is just gonna go have to sign with the Rangers.

Fixed.

Home has been my escape from all of this waiting garbage. I have the thread up in the background all day, hoping for an update. I leave work pissed off at yet another day without a signing, then don't think about it until work the next morning. Waiting for that text update from twitter is enough for me.

Gotta be honestly, that is kinda scary...sort of like me going to Bon Jovi tonight scary...

but Toronto shouldn't have relied on their longest tenured player/captain to just up and leave for three months.

Funny thing is, when Mats pulled a Brett Favre and decided to come back and play with a team on the other side of Canada, that's more or less what he did on his own.

Funny thing is, when Mats pulled a Brett Favre and decided to come back and play with a team on the other side of Canada, that's more or less what he did on his own.

But like GB with Favre, Sundin knew Toronto wouldn't take him back.

Why stop there? Why not make it a 80 year, $104million deal, the same as this purported one only with an additional $2mill spread over the last 63 years. (that's a cap hit of $1.3million in case you wanted to know)

I think one way to absolutely end the whole practice would be to make cap hit the larger of the following two things: the actual salary for the player this season; the average salary over the lifetime of the contract. Obviously no GM would ever sign a player to a deal with different salaries in different years ever again, so that squashes the idea altogether.

Unless there's something I'm missing?

I think the better solution is to require teams to "pay back" the cap hit if a player retires early and total salary paid is great than the total cap space used.

e.g., you sign someone to a 15-year deal at $8m for the first 10 and $2m for the last 5. This is a cap hit of $6m. Now let's say the player retires after year 10.

Total salary paid after 10 years = $80m

Total cap value used in those 10 years = $60m

The team "owes" $20m in cap value, so they should required to pay that back. The simplest would be to pay the total $20m over the remaining years of the contract for a cap hit of $4m in each of the next 5 years.

The idea behind this is that by creating a front-loaded contract, the team effectively borrows cap space from the later years of the contract during the early years of the contract. For fairness, at the end of the contract total cap hit should be the same as total salary paid, so the team should have to "pay back" the cap space they borrowed from the later years of the contract. This would take away the impetus for deals where the team expects the player to retire before the end.

Similarly, if a player retires or otherwise leaves the NHL before the end of a back-loaded deal, the team should get a cap credit. Take a deal paying $1m in year 1 and $4m in years 2 and 3 for a cap hit of $3m. If the player retires after year 1, the team will have used $3m in cap space but only paid the player $1m. They should get a $2m total cap credit, or $1m in each of the last 2 years of the contract.

I think the better solution is to require teams to "pay back" the cap hit if a player retires early and total salary paid is great than the total cap space used.

e.g., you sign someone to a 15-year deal at $8m for the first 10 and $2m for the last 5. This is a cap hit of $6m. Now let's say the player retires after year 10.

Total salary paid after 10 years = $80m

Total cap value used in those 10 years = $60m

The team "owes" $20m in cap value, so they should required to pay that back. The simplest would be to pay the total $20m over the remaining years of the contract for a cap hit of $4m in each of the next 5 years.

This is a good idea. But, the problem is that the penalty does not count against the cap. A team like NYR or Chicago wouldn't mind paying the cap hit back if they really wanted to pull a long-term offer with a low cap hit.

Really all that is, is a long-term luxury tax.

Edited by ben00rs

So you want Kovy to convince his wife that NJ is great by taking a trip to the Jersey shore? Do you realize what you just said?

So you want Kovy to convince his wife that NJ is great by taking a trip to the Jersey shore? Do you realize what you just said?

LBI is beautiful, please don't tell me you think the Jersey shore is actually like what you see on the Jersey Shore (the show).

LBI is beautiful, please don't tell me you think the Jersey shore is actually like what you see on the Jersey Shore (the show).

No, I think the Jersey shore is actually like what I see when I go down to the Jersey shore. Namely, millions of people on top of each other, broskies, attention-seeking frat whores and white trash families with their white trash children (read: Flyers fans). Of course, there is the sprinkling of normal people, but yea, 90% of it is what I just described.

Edited by Amberite

No, I think the Jersey shore is actually like what I see when I go down to the Jersey shore. Namely, millions of people everywhere, broskies, attention-seeking frat whores and white trash families with their white trash children (read: Flyers fans). Of course, there is the sprinkling of normal people, but yea, 90% of it is what I just described.

So then stop going to Seaside. My shore house is in Normandy Beach which is on the island right smack between where Seaside and Point Pleasant is. Private beach, no meateads or fist pumping.