New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

Personally there isn't a doubt in my mind that the 17-year offer is totally fabricated. Does it sound like Lou to offer a 10+ year contract? Does it sound like him to pay a player until he's 44 years old? It's a load of crap.

I'm confident that we offered him 7 years, $60 million and Lou's waiting to clear cap space before he can sign.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This from Spector on the NY Post article:

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1543:latest-kovalchuk-and-modano-news-july-10-2010&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=4

Larry Brooks suggests the Rangers owner James Dolan, who missed out on landing LeBron James for the NBA Knicks, should turn his focus instead on bringing Kovalchuk to the Blueshirts. Brooks believes the Rangers currently lack the talent to contend for anything, but admits GM Glen Sather has some serious salary cap issues to sort out if he were to pursue Kovalchuk.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Didn't we discover during the last CBA that the Rangers efforts to bring in top talent inevitably failed to make the team a playoff club? And isn't the Rangers more pressing need right now is a quality center for Marian Gaborik's line? If the Rangers actually pursue Kovalchuk by burying salary in the minors to free the cap space to sign him it would seriously handicap this team for years to come whilst doing nothing to address the Rangers actual roster needs (a top line center and a skilled puck-moving defenseman). I'm not knocking Kovalchuk here, merely pointing out he's not what the Rangers need.

Brooks is catering to the typical Rangers fan who believes they can sign just about anybody, purely based on the fact they are the New York Rangers. They think they are the New York Yankees of hockey, where their history / location can bring in just about anybody. Guess what, Kovy doesn't care that you are an Original 6 team. All he knows is the Rangers are going on 16 years since their last cup, and looking at their last drought, his grandkids have the greatest chance of winning a cup with them.

Brooks should go back to arguing with Tortorella, at least that is entertaining for everybody.

I'm confident that we offered him 7 years, $60 million and Lou's waiting to clear cap space before he can sign.

I don't understand why everybody keeps saying that this is the holdup. The Devils can go over the cap by 10% in the offseason, so they have about $9.5 mil in cap room.

I just feel like going to LA insures you no cup. We lost to the Eastern Conference champions so I'm not in the camp that you need to start all over. I think that if the Devs got a bit tougher they definitely have the talent to go deep in the playoffs.

On a side note, this blog is like crack, I came back at 3AM and still needed to check.

When and if he goes to LA or Russia Can we have a Kovy jersey burning party, that looks like fun. All serious, if he pulls this crap now I don't like Atlanta as a team I won't sign for 10 mil a year, now I don't like NJ I want LA then to me I lose all respect and don't let the zambonie hit you in the ass, sounding more like Lindros, if true!

Yawn. He didn't spend his whole career here, or gush over his loyalty to the area or anything like that. He came in a mid-season deal in the last year of his contract. Everyone knew full well there was a risk that he would be a rental. He's not Scott Gomez.

If he leaves, get over it.

I don't understand why everybody keeps saying that this is the holdup. The Devils can go over the cap by 10% in the offseason, so they have about $9.5 mil in cap room.

I know they can but that doesn't mean Lou wants to. He wants to ensure that he can get rid of some of his dead weight (preferably by trade) before he makes a commitment to close off ALL of his remaining space. And I don't think Lou's ever been the type to rush with free agency due to market conditions. We'll see if he gives Ilya too much time and he chooses somewhere else, but it's my personal speculation that this is the case.

Personally there isn't a doubt in my mind that the 17-year offer is totally fabricated. Does it sound like Lou to offer a 10+ year contract? Does it sound like him to pay a player until he's 44 years old? It's a load of crap.

Unless Vanderbeek is calling the shots on this one. Gulitti has said that Vanderbeek has more pull on what goes on than people think. While I'm sure he didn't have much to say about Tallinder/Volchenkov/Hedberg, wouldn't be shocked after things broke down between Kovy and LA the first time, VBK put the word out to Lou to try and put something together that would work.

I know they can but that doesn't mean Lou wants to. He wants to ensure that he can get rid of some of his dead weight (preferably by trade) before he makes a commitment to close off ALL of his remaining space. And I don't think Lou's ever been the type to rush with free agency due to market conditions. We'll see if he gives Ilya too much time and he chooses somewhere else, but it's my personal speculation that this is the case.

Sorry, I didn't mean my response as directed at you; I was just speaking in general. But your argument is fair enough. I'm just afraid that the longer Lou waits, the greater the chance that another team is able to attract Kovy. I just feel that a talent like Kovy should be locked down as soon as possible so long as the offer is not ridiculous, and other concerns should be taken care of later. Of course, this all assumes that Lou is the one causing the hold up, which may not be the case, so this whole argument could be moot.

Sorry, I didn't mean my response as directed at you; I was just speaking in general. But your argument is fair enough. I'm just afraid that the longer Lou waits, the greater the chance that another team is able to attract Kovy. I just feel that a talent like Kovy should be locked down as soon as possible so long as the offer is not ridiculous, and other concerns should be taken care of later. Of course, this all assumes that Lou is the one causing the hold up, which may not be the case, so this whole argument could be moot.

No I know, I've had that argument with myself a few times because both side are viable.

I really wonder whether Kovy personally likes NHL vs. KHL and if he has truly decided, because that's probably the biggest holdup of all.

If it's true that they also offered him that 17 year nonsense, which I think in the first few years the cap was supposed to be 10 million per year, it would make sense that Lou has to clear up space for that contract.

But I still think Ilya is just using Lou's offers to get what he wants from LA, which is what's taking so long. I'd love to be wrong here.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

No I know, I've had that argument with myself a few times because both side are viable.

I really wonder whether Kovy personally likes NHL vs. KHL and if he has truly decided, because that's probably the biggest holdup of all.

I'd hope that the allure of playing in the most talented league in the world would keep Kovy here, but I know that's a bit naive; more factors than just competition level go into a decision like this.

If it's true that they also offered him that 17 year nonsense, which I think in the first few years the cap was supposed to be 10 million per year, it would make sense that Lou has to clear up space for that contract.

Regardless of the deal, the same discussion that I'm having with 'DevilNurn' would still apply as long as the cap hit is less than 9.5 mil.

But I still think Ilya is just using Lou's offers to get what he wants from LA, which is what's taking so long. I'd love to be wrong here.

Definitely possible, but that'd be a whole different story.

Edited by devils26

i really think the KHL is distant at this point - it's a possibility, certainly, but an unlikely one. if it's raising its offers, it's bidding against itself. if he won't come for twice the money (and $42 million over 3 years tax-free in russia is god knows how much here - $90 million over 3 years?), why would he come for 3 times the money?

this isn't the commodities scheme from the end of 'trading places', either lou's got deals in place or he can't find room. it's been a week and almost nothing has changed league-wide.

this isn't the commodities scheme from the end of 'trading places', either lou's got deals in place or he can't find room. it's been a week and almost nothing has changed league-wide.

Do you mean that Lou feels he won't be able to get under the salary cap by season's start if he signs Kovy?

Regardless of the deal, the same discussion that I'm having with 'DevilNurn' would still apply as long as the cap hit is less than 9.5 mil.

Definitely with the 7 year 60-63 million it shouldn't make a difference. Depends on what contract they're working on I guess.

Definitely with the 7 year 60-63 million it shouldn't make a difference. Depends on what contract they're working on I guess.

Either way, if Kovy doesn't sign here I will smack his face into a...a...a jelly.

Edited by devils26

Do you mean that Lou feels he won't be able to get under the salary cap by season's start if he signs Kovy?

obviously it's always possible to get under the salary cap. the league says that if a team can't get under it just starts waiving players. and i do think both zubrus and salvador would be picked up by someone on waivers. after that, it gets dicey. can they move rolston? (i think no, but it really depends on whether rolston feels like floating through that last year of his contract). would they move elias? i doubt it. would they move colin white? i don't think so, plus again, he has an NMC.

i guess the absolute last resort is waiving salvador, zubrus, and langenbrunner. but i can't imagine lou doing that, ever.

Throw him in the ring with these guys for a while...

Hit Kovy with a little 'stomp clap stomp stomp clap'?

obviously it's always possible to get under the salary cap. the league says that if a team can't get under it just starts waiving players. and i do think both zubrus and salvador would be picked up by someone on waivers. after that, it gets dicey. can they move rolston? (i think no, but it really depends on whether rolston feels like floating through that last year of his contract). would they move elias? i doubt it. would they move colin white? i don't think so, plus again, he has an NMC.

i guess the absolute last resort is waiving salvador, zubrus, and langenbrunner. but i can't imagine lou doing that, ever.

Okay, I understand you now, and agree that Lou would not waive the three players you mentioned. Let's hope he can find a way to move Rolston (and that Rolston is willing to be moved).

Edited by devils26

Here's a few Sunny gifs I made...

The last one is my favorite. That whole scene is just great, with Charlie going through the whole range of emotions.

That's what we really need. Sweet Dee on steroids to talk to Ilya.

We just have to hope that she doesn't eat his babies.

Is it wrong to not think Mel Gibson is really that bad? I mean he sounds like a normal hot tempered dude who's all talk. This latest outburst actually to me makes his first one not so bad -- puts it in it's real context. He's ust a filth talker when he's mad -- says the most gross things he can think of. :noclue: Why are people all sanctimonious about it?