New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

that's the most depressing thing you could've posted - hanging our hopes on a brian rolston comeback. if brian rolston has a 'bounceback year', it's going to be luck and nothing more. rolston and hope/best-case-scenarios have nothing to do with one another, unless it's him leaving town. at least say something about arnott scoring 30 goals or the arnott-elias combination making magic together.

If Arnott and Elias can stay healthy I would be happy. It isn't out of the realm that both will fail to play 70 games this season. That could cost this team 10 to 15 goals alone.

With Rolston that is what I hope will happen, some of his shots on the PP will result in ugly goals. I certainly don't expect a bounce back year even strength. Rolston is stuck with us and you know what, without Kovalchuk who cares. We have cap room we probably weren't going to spend. I would rather keep the 1st or top prospect then unload him. Like I said before I don't feel overly optimistic about this team.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Arnott and Elias can stay healthy I would be happy. It isn't out of the realm that both will fail to play 70 games this season. That could cost this team 10 to 15 goals alone.

With Rolston that is what I hope will happen, some of his shots on the PP will result in ugly goals. I certainly don't expect a bounce back year even strength. Rolston is stuck with us and you know what, without Kovalchuk who cares. We have cap room we probably weren't going to spend. I would rather keep the 1st or top prospect then unload him. Like I said before I don't feel overly optimistic about this team.

Unless we make a trade, we don't have much cap room to work with. Especially if Mottau gets resigned.

Unless we make a trade, we don't have much cap room to work with. Especially if Mottau gets resigned.

Like I said in the other thread, I expect nearly 3 million to come off in a Salvador/White type deal. You can't have Volchenkov, Tallinder, Salvador, White and Mottau all on the same team. Especially with Corrente/Urbom making the team.

Like I said in the other thread, I expect nearly 3 million to come off in a Salvador/White type deal. You can't have Volchenkov, Tallinder, Salvador, White and Mottau all on the same team. Especially with Corrente/Urbom making the team.

I agree. Trade for a RW/PMD worth 2-3 mill. Don't resign Mottau. Then save the rest of the cap room. If we don't get Kovy, we might as well breathe a little.

Edited by ben00rs

Funny quote from TG no doubt directed at Brooks:

By the way, the Rangers remain uninterested in signing Kovalchuk despite the efforts of others to drag them into the bidding—or at least make the Kings think there was as chance they might change their minds.

:lol:

I agree. Trade for a RW/PMD worth 2-3 mill. Don't resign Mottau. Then save the rest of the cap room. If we don't get Kovy, we might as well breathe a little.

+12314658 That's it.Puck moving D-men and a RW...maybe a cheap cheap center.

i have no problem with the way the kings have handled this - in fact, i think lombardi has come out like an ace on this. he sinffed out that kovalchuck wanted LA and NOTHING else so he knew he could get him at LA's price - not Kovy's over inflated price.

assuming kovy not signing and lou essentially going with what he's got now? well, right now, he's better off than what he started with last year. i still assert Martin is a huge loss but I'll delude myself for now into thinking that tallinder and greene can handle it and volchenkov changes the dimension of the defense as well. and lets not forget that arnott puts elias back on left wing where he belongs and the devils have josefsson and tedenby to compete for jobs that were handed to rob fvcking neidermayer and dean mccamond.

Assuming the #'s aren't crazy, and there is no reason to believe they will be, Lombardi did do a great job from a negotiating perspective. No arguments there. I just could have done without all the public nonsense. Maybe it's just from being a fan of the Devils but I just don't care for all the back and forth through the press. To me it's in poor taste but then again maybe I'm just being a little bitter about the whole thing because I really wanted him to stay.

As for the team as it stands now, yeah they're probably better off then at the start of last year but I don't know. I just see year older players and too much hope being pinned on these youngsters (that's even if they get a legit shot) Maybe Kovalchuk didn't fit perfectly here but the Devils will certainly feel his loss considering what he'll provide over the course of the year. This could be a difficult year.

Assuming the #'s aren't crazy, and there is no reason to believe they will be, Lombardi did do a great job from a negotiating perspective. No arguments there. I just could have done without all the public nonsense. Maybe it's just from being a fan of the Devils but I just don't care for all the back and forth through the press. To me it's in poor taste but then again maybe I'm just being a little bitter about the whole thing because I really wanted him to stay.As for the team as it stands now, yeah they're probably better off then at the start of last year but I don't know. I just see year older players and too much hope being pinned on these youngsters (that's even if they get a legit shot) Maybe Kovalchuk didn't fit perfectly here but the Devils will certainly feel his loss considering what he'll provide over the course of the year. This could be a difficult year.

The team is better than the one we started with last year but we certainly need some more help in many positions.

Offense

Parise-Zajac-Langs

Elias--Arnot--Zubrus/Rolston/Zharkov

Clarky--Josefson/UFA center--Rolston/Zharkov/Tedenby

PL3--Pelley--Zharkov/Tedenby

Defense

Volchenkov--PMD

Greene--White

Tallinder--Urbom-Salvy

IMO we cant put Rolston or Zharkov on the second line and Zubrus is a risky choice.

First pairring can't be Volchie and White,Talinder or Salvador since it would make a immobile pair.

Make a package with Salvador and try to trade for a puck moving D.

Sign Frolov

Trade Rolston for Souray if Salvador cant be traded for something descent.

Edited by SS-SS

Well, it saddens me he really wants to play for LA. Can't be mad at the the guy for wanting what he wants but still, wish he wanted to be a Devil. I agree. This isn't a Stanley Cup Team as it stands now without Kovy. Rolston will simply get beat on the boards and when he does get a slap shot it will hit the glass above the goal. I wouldn't be at all crabby about him if his contract wasn't so awful.

Having no Kovy will at least give us some wiggle room with the cap. We'll be competitive this year, probably make the playoffs and totally be out in the first round again if the status remains the same. Some awful contracts, Marty on his last legs, and a lack of some scoring is what our problem is.

I just hope this drama ends sooner than later, either way. Im tired of checking NHL.com and other sites daily.

Scoops

From nhl.com

" If the Kings are finally able to land Kovalchuk, who has 338 goals in 621 NHL games, they would instantly become Stanley Cup contenders. "

Hahaha this is just hilarious. I mean he is high a end player,but is not like if any team get him, the team would magicaly became a strong contender for the cup.

Edited by Cachorro Louco

from what I saw of the Kings against the Canucks, they're not nearly ready yet. adding Kovalchuk will not help them in the areas they got ripped to shreds in.

this guy is not Crosby or Ovechkin, and one of the two still hasn't won anything yet.

I fail to see, without moves, how New Jersey will be able to inject youth up front. To me it looks like there will be a battle for one spot in the top 9 between Zharkov/Vasyunov/Tedenby/Josefson/Palmieri/Henrique. I doubt we would waste any of those players on the 4th line for a full season.

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Elias-Arnott-Clarkson

Zubrus/Rolston/Youth

Plug/Plug/Plug

Feel free to change the players playing RW on the top two lines.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

I fail to see, without moves, how New Jersey will be able to inject youth up front. To me it looks like there will be a battle for one spot in the top 9 between Zharkov/Vasyunov/Tedenby/Josefson/Palmieri/Henrique. I doubt we would waste any of those players on the 4th line for a full season.

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Elias-Arnott-Clarkson

Zubrus/Rolston/Youth

Plug/Plug/Plug

Feel free to change the players playing RW on the top two lines.

why would Rolston play C, and why wouldn't Zubrus be a top 6 RW instead of Clarkson? anybody that watched the tape could see Zubrus played well with Parise and Zajac. unfortunately, the coach wasn't one of those people.

Clarkson is an awful fit with Arnott and Elias. Arnott's role is clearing space and Elias gives the puck up to other players too easily. Clarkson is incapable of giving the puck back to forwards.

if it comes to the point that no kid can play 3rd line C, they're going to have to put Zubrus there or get one. Rolston isn't an option. All you can do with him at this point is challenge him not to be a pansy (and this didn't work with Sutter), and line him up on the point on the PP and hope he's lucky.

I fail to see, without moves, how New Jersey will be able to inject youth up front. To me it looks like there will be a battle for one spot in the top 9 between Zharkov/Vasyunov/Tedenby/Josefson/Palmieri/Henrique. I doubt we would waste any of those players on the 4th line for a full season.Parise-Zajac-LangenbrunnerElias-Arnott-ClarksonZubrus/Rolston/YouthPlug/Plug/PlugFeel free to change the players playing RW on the top two lines.

Can't put Clarkson on the second. :blink:

Buttt can't put Rolston up there either.

Zubrus:O.K but I don't see him playing like he played in the Playoffs all year long

Conclusion:We need to find a second line winger from outside the organization.I say Frolov. (my opinion)

Same thing for the Defense.

The way I see it right now is that if the roster stays as like that we are going to play a complete copy of the 2009-2010 season and PLAYOFFS.

Edited by SS-SS

why?! not meaning to single you out, becase there are many that feel this way on this board. but again - why?! he's a great player that has earned the right to go where he wants. he very much wants to go to LA and wants as much money as he can. fine.

Im just saying if he really wanted to be in LA would waste Lou and Co. time we could have set our priorities elsewhere. It obvious that he wanted to be in LA no matter what. Why listen to our offer when he clearly had his mind set and was pre determined on where he was going to go. Im just saying its valuable time that is wasted

why would Rolston play C, and why wouldn't Zubrus be a top 6 RW instead of Clarkson? anybody that watched the tape could see Zubrus played well with Parise and Zajac. unfortunately, the coach wasn't one of those people.

That's a line that I'm hoping gets reunited. A major knock against it last year was that it wasted a center, with Zajac and Zubrus playing together...but now with Arnott we can get away with that.

I don't understand how he passes up on a proven team to a team that may or may not make the playoffs, but whatever.

I concur.

What about this [Kool-aid induced] scenario that keeps Kovy in NJ:

funny. koolaid.gif

From nhl.com

" If the Kings are finally able to land Kovalchuk, who has 338 goals in 621 NHL games, they would instantly become Stanley Cup contenders. "

Hahaha this is just hilarious. I mean he is high a end player,but is not like if any team get him, the team would magicaly became a strong contender for the cup.

Agreed. If anything the Kings take several steps backward, because Kovy doesn't play a the type of TEAM oriented game that Murray has built in LA.