New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Newjerseydevils.com

Done Deal-ya: Kovalchuk returns

Monday, 07.19.2010 / 11:34 AM / NewsBy Eric Maringm5_kovy.jpgKovalchuk returns to New Jersey.Big decisions take time, but Ilya Kovalchuk has made up his mind: he’s coming back to the Devils.

Since the free agent signing period began on July 1, almost every day brought new speculation on where the two-time 50-goal scorer might be headed. One of the most coveted unrestricteds in history, Kovalchuk finally ended the suspense Monday, following the Devils' announcement that he’s staying in the Garden State. A 1 p.m. press conference will be held Tuesday at Prudential Center.

A three-time All-Star, Kovalchuk, 27, is the crown jewel on a roster primed to be an offensive juggernaut in 2010-11. As dynamic a scorer as there is in the National Hockey League, he bolsters a lineup that features a pair of 40-goal scorers in Patrik Elias andZach Parise.

Kovalchuk compiled 41 goals, 44 assists last season, his sixth straight campaign with 40-or-more tallies. Acquired via trade from Atlanta on Feb. 4, Kovalchuk collected 10 goals and 17 assists in 27 games after landing in New Jersey.

On the power play, Kovalchuk packs a fearsome shot from the point that will be even more potent with the 6-5 frame of Jason Arnott parked in front of opposing goaltenders. Arnott, the auteur of the Devils’ Stanley Cup-clinching goal in 2000, was re-acquired from Nashville on June 19.

Kovalchuk's signing is the most recent move for the Devils, the clear winners of this year's offseason. The two-time defending Atlantic Division champions signed defensemen Henrik Tallinder and Anton Volchenkov and goaltender Johan Hedberg on July 1. They hired new coach John MacLean on June 17.

I honestly cant say there was no chance of this happening, so I am thrilled we were able to keep him. At least it wasnt an expensive rental of a trade. Its so obvious we were 2nd choice. no matter what anyone says. But looking forward to 2 scoring lines of this:

Parise Zajac langenbrunner

Elias Arnott Kovalchuk

Whooooo Hoooooo!!! Yes! Yes! Yes!

Mike

A bit unfair, especially since we don't know contract details yet.

you don't understand what i meant. the devils always lose the stanley cup in july and win it in june. the rangers win the cup in july and lose it by around january.

Okay i just noticed something. Only once in a while during the summer, i'll break out a Devil's shirt to wear.

Now this could be because i'm behind on my laundry, but i just realized that in the rush of getting moving this morning, i threw on my scott stevens shirt...

IT WAS A SIGN I TELL YOU!!