New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 17 year contract, if its true, which I'm really skeptical about, would mean that the last 4-6 years of the contract are purely there for cap purposes and should make everything manageable. A player like Kovalchuk deserves a cap hit in the $7-9 million region, if we get a cap hit of anything less than that this is a huge victory.

Hmmmmm.... Helene Elliot

Initial reports said the terms of Kovalchuk's deal were 17 years at $100 million, though that couldn't be immediately confirmed. Tim Leiweke, the Kings' governor and chief executive of their parent company, AEG, said in an e-mail that Kovalchuk "had two very good choices. NJ offered more money. Simple as that."

I really hope we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot with this one.

Checked the site today, saw the news and have to say that I'm absolutely speechless. I would have bet my house that Kovy was going to sign with the Kings. To be honest, I was firmly in the camp that it was best to let him walk and so the Devils could use the extra cap money to sign/trade for Kaberle, etc. But I have to admit I'm kind of pumped now. That being said, plenty of big questions still remain. For starters, if Parise doesn't re-sign I think this signing will be a big mistake. Also, if Rolston remains on the roster and Salvador/Clarkson/Zubrus are moved I'm going to be a little bummed out. I also have to admit when I first heard rumors of the 17-year contract, I thought it was a joke. But if you do the math, it comes out to an annual cap hit of $5.88 million a year - which is kind of an awesome number if you think about it. Finally, on a somewhat humorous side note, somebody (can't remember who) made the analogy of waiting for Kovy to sign akin to waiting for ketchup to come out of the bottle. If I remember correctly, the person wrote that if you have a great hamburger and the ketchup eventually comes out, it's worth the wait. But if it doesn't, your whole BBQ is ruined. I then made the mistake of explaining that analogy to my 4-year-old daughter. And every day for the past 12 days, she has woken up and asked me point blank, "So has the ketchup come out of the bottle yet?" Finally, I'll be able to tell her, "Yes, the damn ketchup has finally come out of the bottle." And that at least counts for something.

I then made the mistake of explaining that analogy to my 4-year-old daughter. And every day for the past 12 days, she has woken up and asked me point blank, "So has the ketchup come out of the bottle yet?" Finally, I'll be able to tell her, "Yes, the damn ketchup has finally come out of the bottle." And that at least counts for something.

I have a 4-year-old, and naturally found your story amusing. My son only knows one player on the Devils.

"Kobalchuk."