New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

Hmm.. I don't think that report is possible

10 mill for the first 8 years

7.5 for next 2

Only leaves 7 mill for 7 years

But u can't go from 7.5 --> 1 mill per

http://www.nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm#100pct

If someone can work it out keeping that rule in mind, much appreciated.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that but the details are 8 years 10 mil, 7.5 each year after.

I'm confused.

The report said 7.5 for 2 years after. It will decrease at big increments after that.

Of course, these are all just rumors.

Edited by ben00rs

Hmm.. I don't think that report is possible

10 mill for the first 8 years

7.5 for next 2

Only leaves 7 mill for 7 years

But u can't go from 7.5 --> 1 mill per

http://www.nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm#100pct

If someone can work it out keeping that rule in mind, much appreciated.

10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-7.5-7.5-2.5-1.5-1-.5-.5-.5-.5

That would do it, I believe.

I was just thinking of the possible ways that the CBA could deal with contracts like this and most of them are just not practical because they would have to either give exceptions for current ones or SEVERELY hamstring the teams that gave them out.

The solution I came up with seems like it would work out and could be implemented retroactively without to much pain.

Make it like the over 35 rule where the cap hit counts against the team for every year of the contract no matter whether the player retires or not. Those kind of dead contracts could be used benificially by teams nearing bankruptcy by getting them over the floor for nothing and could allow teams with higher payrolls to get high profile free agents as well as keep homegrown stars once they become UFA

That won't work because it will deter teams from signing long term contracts. If the player decides to retire because he can't or doesn't want to play anymore, the team will be stuck with the cap hit.

The fairest solution for a contract that terminates early (retirement or career-ending injury) is to require the total cap hit to equal the total salary paid. If not, the team would have a cap hit or cap credit to cover the difference over the remaining years of the contract.

So, for a simple example, a player earns 9m in the first year and 1m in the second year. 5m cap hit. He retires after the 1st year. The team has paid 9m in salary and only had a total 5m cap hit. There is a 4m difference which the team should be required to pay back, meaning that player is on the cap next year for 4m even though he retired.

I see that but the details are 8 years 10 mil, 7.5 each year after.

I'm confused.

The cap hit has nothing to do with the paycheck the player actually receives. A team's cap hit is the AVERAGE of the value of the contract. $102M / 17yrs = $6M per year cap hit.

The report said 7.5 for 2 years after. It will decrease at big increments after that.

I stand corrected on that, but where does a 6mil cap hit come in when the reported first 10 years is 8 mil?

The cap hit has nothing to do with the paycheck the player actually receives. A team's cap hit is the AVERAGE of the value of the contract. $102M / 17yrs = $6M per year cap hit.

Thanks. That makes sense now.

OK do we keep Kovy or de start a thread to get the new Kovalchuk nickname ???

I think we should just keep this thread and do all game day threads, etc here for the next 17 years with Kovalchuk in a Devils jersey

I stand corrected on that, but where does a 6mil cap hit come in when the reported first 10 years is 8 mil?

Cap hit just means the average amount he'll be paid over the whole length of the contract. If a player signs a 4 year 12 million dollar deal the cap hit is 3 million. 12 million divided by 4 years equals a 3 mill average. No matter what the Cap hit for the whole contract is 3 mill. But, you could pay him like this: 6M,4M,1M,1M (=12 million)

-Kovy

- K-17

- IK

:noclue: Would use some help.Not really good at finding nicknames but we have to find a Develian nickname cuz every other teams fans call him Kovy but we are DEVILS so we have to get our own nickname for Kovalchuk.

so does anyone feel a little dirty now? Think Lou does?

Funny how when teams were self policed Lou was really frugal - fiscally responsible. Now that there are specific guidelines he's far more creative and loose with the purse strings

That's a myth. He offered Bobby Holik $8 million a year. When it was necessary, and he has an owner who is willing to sign the checks, he could blow the bank. McMullen could be particularly frugle from what I remember. On the other hand, afterwards, you had Yankee money as a last resort, and now you have a guy who wants to be Ted Leonsis.